Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Expect Mayo to have a right cut in one almighty struggle

Published

on

The versatile Kevin McLoughlin, one of the key players on the Mayo team chasing long-awaited All-Ireland final glory against Dublin at Croke Park on Sunday.

APART from those residing in the ‘Inner Pale’, there’s a yearning across the land for Mayo to at last call time on their 66-year wait for a fourth All-Ireland football title, while within the county itself that longing is close to mass hysteria.

The red-and-green army are on the march again this weekend launching another vigorous assault on the capital in an attempt to wrest the Sam Maguire from the iron grip of a Dublin side now bidding for a three-in-a-row of All-Ireland titles.

By the time Cavan referee, Joe McQuillan, throws in the ball next Sunday at 3.30pm in Croke Park, it will be Mayo’s ninth time to contest an All-Ireland senior final since 1989, surely a tribute to the resilience and spirit of a county that never seems to lose heart.

During the previous eight final appearances, they practically had their fingers on the cup against Meath in 1996 while in their two most recent final defeats at the hands of the Dubs, they only fell short by a single point.

This year’s slow-burning championship run by Mayo has proven, that without any of a shadow of a doubt, they are the second-best team in the country, but to go one better on Sunday, they must topple a Dublin team that’s already been spoken about in the same breath as the great Kerry teams of the late-1970s and mid-1980s.

It is, by any barometer, a huge challenge but Mayo have never been over-awed by the Dubs and drew with them in last year’s final after conceding two killer own-goals.

Their dropping of All-Star goalkeeper David Clarke for the replay turned out to be hat-trick of own goals for Mayo, but all that’s history now, as Stephen Rochford’s charges brace themselves for another monumental battle.

Mayo will not fear the Dubs. They will match them in physicality, pace and positivity and probably will hold a slight edge in terms of hunger and motivation. No effort will be spared in trying to drink the waters of success from what could be one last trip to the well for this side.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

CITY TRIBUNE

Connacht to stage first leg of big Euro clash with Leinster at the Sportsground

Published

on

The Sportsground

CONNACHT have no plans to move the home leg of their European Champions Cup last 16 clash against Leinster in April away from the Sportsground, despite demand likely to far exceed the 6,129 capacity limit on the College Road venue.

The province has qualified for the knockout stages of the premier European club rugby competition for the first time in its history, and given the fact that Leinster will provide the opposition in the two-leg Last 16 clash, the temptation may be there to move the game to a venue with a bigger capacity, but Connacht attack coach Pete Wilkins said this week that there were no plans for such a move.

“It’s not something I have heard mentioned,” said Wilkins of the potential of moving the game to the likes of Thomond Park.

“Fundamentally for us, we love playing in the Sportsground and the atmosphere that is generated there. It is certainly not something that has come across my radar at this stage, all the talk about it has been of it being at the Sportsground but if I hear otherwise, I’ll let you know,” said Wilkins, who has stepped in as temporary head coach at Connacht, after Andy Friend was deemed a Covid-19 close contact, which ruled him out of last weekend’s trip to Paris.

Connacht’s place in the knockout stages was assured before their final pool game with Stade Francais on Sunday, but rather than being because of a slip-up by Castres, it was due to the fact that Cardiff were granted a 28-0 win over Toulouse after the game between those sides was called off due to an outbreak of Covid-19 in the French camp.

As it turned out, Connacht still grabbed the bonus point they needed against Stade to secure their place in their own right – in fact, they took two bonus points – but it could and should have been even more, only for Connacht to throw away a second-half lead for the third consecutive European game to lose a game they were on track to win.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Connacht blow another big lead but still create history

Published

on

Connacht’s Caolin Blade whose impressive display against Stade Francais in the Champions Cup on Sunday saw the scrum half score one of their four tries.

Stade Français 37

Connacht 31

BY JOHN FALLON

SELDOM has a team achieved so much in such underwhelming circumstances. Blowing a substantial lead and falling to a late defeat for the second week in a row in the Champions Cup has taken some of the gloss off Connacht reaching the knockout stages for the first time.

Another late collapse, coupled with drawing four-time champions Leinster in that knockout double-leg round in April, has deflated some of the euphoria around a notable milestone, but it will be great to have Connacht involved in the business end of the competition at a time, for context, none of the Welsh, Scottish or Italian teams have managed to make it that far.

But captain Jack Carty said they need to learn how to manage a lead if they are to improve as a squad. The previous week they blew an 18-point advantage and got caught at the death and this time, despite playing with an extra man for almost half the match, they failed to mind an 11-point lead in another nine-try thriller and will head into the knockout stages for the first time having won just one game.

Six bonus points along the way made all the difference and while defeat at Stade Jean Bouin ultimately didn’t impact on their final place or a knockout date with Leinster in April – five other teams have also advanced on the back of a single victory – a win in Paris would have been a huge boost but instead they fell to an eighth successive away Champions Cup game.

Carty said it was a big boost to advance but there is obvious room for improvement and the pool campaign could have been so much better.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Council looks to develop ‘outdoor museum’ to focus on Galway’s waterways

Published

on

New focus...Galway’s waterways.

Consultants will be hired by Galway City Council to develop an “outdoor museum experience” to “tell the story of the waterways of Galway”.

Tender documents estimate the project will cost between €220,000 and €250,000.

It is part of the Fáilte Ireland funded Tourism Destination Towns initiative to help tourist towns and cities offer more attractions to visitors.

The consultants will be asked to devise an outdoor museum that “tells the story of” the city’s waterways.

“The variety of water in Galway City Centre – the rushing river, still and reflective canals, historic mills and locks, and tidal Galway Bay – create a diversity of sights, sounds, smells and textures which enrich Galway for visitors and locals alike,” the tender said.

This “new attraction”, it said, will be located along walking and cycling routes leading from the Spanish Arch area along the River towards Woodquay, along the Canal to NUIG and along the Claddagh to Salthill.

“The outdoor attraction should assist in managing visitor flow by drawing visitors from the crowded areas of Shop Street, Quay Street and the Spanish Arch and dispersing visitors to other attractions such as Galway’s Westend, NUIG, Salthill and Woodquay,” according to the plan.

The waterways will be used to “tell an interesting and compelling story on the development of Galway”.

“By adding a new experience along the route we have an opportunity to increase visitor satisfaction levels by bringing the past and present to life so that it resonates with visitors, and gets them thinking, talking and engaging,” the plan said.

It is envisaged that the contractor will tell the story of Galway, including its waterways, “their development, industrial heritage and how they help shape modern Galway”.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending