Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Ex-United star knows what’s in store for Sligo at Terryland

Published

on

Date Published: 30-Mar-2011

GALWAY United host provincial rivals Sligo Rovers in Terryland Park on Friday night (kick-off 7.45pm), looking to bounce back from Monday shock EA Sports Cup exit, and visiting right-back Alan Keane is under no illusions about the scale of the challenge last season’s double cup winners face on the Dyke Road.

The Abbeyknockmoy native spent four seasons with United before joining Sligo Rovers at the start of the 2008 campaign, and having played in 11 of the 18 league clashes between the sides in that time, he more than most knows what to expect on Friday night.

“We’re expecting a tough game, Terryland has not been the happiest hunting ground for us in recent years. I know United lost on Monday night, but I wouldn’t imagine the League Cup was high on their priority list and they beat Bohs last week so we know we’ll get nothing easy there,” says Keane.

While United were winning for the fourth time in five meetings with Bohemians last weekend, Keane was part of the Sligo side that passed Drogheda United off the park in the Showgrounds, a game plan which the right-back says is demanded by manager Paul Cook.

“We try to build from the back and spray the ball around. We lost our shape a little against Bray a few weeks ago and resorted to pumping long balls forward looking for a goal, and the gaffer blew his top with us after the game for doing that.

“We just need to be patient, to retain possession and then make the most of a mistake by the opposition. We played Portadown in the Setanta Cup on Monday night, and one of their players said we were the best passing side he had ever played against,” said Keane.

Read extended interview in this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending