Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Sports

Elwood returns ahead of Connacht’s critical derby tie with Leinster

Published

on

Former Head Coach and long serving player Eric Elwood who has been appointed Connacht Domestic Rugby Manager.

ON the eve of one of Connacht’s biggest league games of the season, rugby in the province was delivered an early Christmas present with confirmation fans’ favourite, Eric Elwood, is returning.

Former head-coach Elwood, who caused shock with his announcement that he was stepping aside at the end of the 2013 season, has been appointed domestic rugby manager for Connacht.

He will be responsible for growing the game of rugby across the province at grassroots level and takes up his position in January. Elwood, who played out-half for Connacht and Ireland, was head-coach from 2010 to 2013, and was previously assistant coach to Michael Bradley. Elwood represented Connacht 168 times as a player and won 35 international caps, appearing in two Rugby World Cups.

After stepping aside from Connacht he changed direction and worked with pharmaceuticals company Omega Pharma for the past year but says he’s looking forward to returning to rugby.

Elwood said: “I’m really looking forward to starting in this new role in the New Year. It will certainly be different for me but that is what excites me about it.  Connacht has been a huge part of my life and I have always understood the importance of the domestic game in the future of Connacht as a whole. I am looking forward to working with everyone in the domestic game in what is a truly exciting period for rugby in the West of Ireland.”

The appointment is a timely boost to rugby out-west, as Connacht’s flagship team set their sights on toppling Leinster in the first of three ‘Christmas-cracker’ inter-provincials in the coming weeks.

Pat Lam has made 14 changes to the second-string side that stunned Bayonne in France at the weekend as he carts out the heavy artillery for a mouth-watering clash with Leinster at RDS this evening (7.35pm).

Lock Aly Muldowney is the only survivor from the 29-27 triumph, although double try-scorer and man-of-the-match, Caolin Blade, the scrum-half from Monivea, is on the bench. Centre Robbie Henshaw – who Leinster are eyeing up with a view to ‘poaching’ and luring him east – has recovered from injury and tastes his first action since starring for Ireland in the November series. The 21-year-old international is partnered by Bundee Aki, who starts in his preferred position of inside centre for the first time.

All-Black Mils Muliaina – who will taste his first inter-provincial derby – is named at full back with dangermen Danie Poolman and Matt Healy on the wings. Jack Carty is handed the reins at out-half for his first game at the RDS and Ireland’s Kieran Marmion, who scored Connacht’s try at the Dublin venue last year, resumes duties at scrum half.

Up front, John Muldoon will captain the side in a back row featuring Eoin McKeon and George Naoupu. On-loan lock Quinn Roux partners Muldowney in the second row behind the front row trio of Denis Buckley, Tom McCartney and Rodney Ah You.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

 

CITY TRIBUNE

Referee shortage sees local games called off

Published

on

The Salthill Devon side that beat Corrib Celtic 4-1 in Drom last Friday night. Back row from left: Jackson Da Silva, Andrew Connolly, Cillian Doyle, Shane O’Rourke, Calum Crowe, and Arek Mamala. Front: Matthew Barrett, Darren Darcy, Matthew Murray, Michael Gallagher and Vinny Faherty. Photos: Iain McDonald.

Soccer Wrap with Mike Rafferty

It is not often that Mervue United have to wait until the third series of games in the Premier Division to get their first win, but after earlier losses to Maree/Oranmore and Athenry they finally secured their first success on the all-weather at Fahy’s Field on Sunday morning.

A 2-1 win over St Bernard’s moved them off the foot of the table, but in a close contest it was an outcome that could have gone either way. Mayo native Eoin Prendergast took both his goals well, although they were of the simple variety as deliveries over the top exposed the visitors cover and the former Conn Rangers striker was left with simple tap-in’s as they led by two at the break.

In contrast the St Bernard’s reply was a cracking effort as Matty Finn crossed from the right and the inrushing Paddy Mullins headed powerfully past Rob Carr to pull one back.

The visitors had plenty of opportunities to get back on level terms, but it was an occasion when their finishing let them down. Twice Dillon Murphy threatened a breakthrough, but his opening effort few across the face of goal; before failing to connect with a Keith Forde delivery.

Brian Moran had an effort that was easily gathered by Rob Carr, before Matty Finn was well off target with a late chance. All the opportunities were not at the one end, as Mervue threatened when Robert Carroll headed over following a Eli Sheedy corner; while Prendergast missed a great chance to complete his hat-trick, but fired over from in front of goal after a neat knockdown by Stephen Larkin set him up.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Lyons’ spectacular bicycle kick carries day for United

Published

on

Mikie Rowe of Galway United and Cork City's Cian Coleman in a race for possession during Friday night's First Division tie at Eamonn Deacy Park.

Galway United  2

Cork City 1

By Mike Rafferty at Eamonn Deacy Park

THERE is no doubt that the Galway United players will have had more of a pep in their step at training this week as their come-from-behind victory over Cork City at Eamonn Deacy Park on Friday night finally ended their five match winless streak and. hopefully, in the process installed a bit of confidence in their own ability.

No doubt the fact that the visitors would have clinched the Airtricity First Division title if they were to win was a further incentive for the home side to raise their game to a level that had gone missing in recent outings.

However, United did fall behind for the fourth game in succession, before two goals in a three minute spell by Wilson Waweru and Charlie Lyons rescued the situation and moved them to within seven points of the league leaders. United do enjoy a game in hand and while they are free this weekend, their next outing away against Treaty United will bring them level on games played with Cork City.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Connacht thrashed by Ulster but internationals return for tough South African trip

Published

on

Connacht's Caolin Blade who scored their only try in Saturday's heavy URC defeat to Ulster at the Kingspan Stadium.

By JOHN FALLON

ANDY Friend says Connacht need to pick up the pieces quickly from an opening night hammering (36-10) to Ulster after going down by five tries to one in Belfast.

Ulster dominated the opening half and were good value for their 14-3 lead as Connacht had to defend for long periods of a half littered with mistakes by both sides.

Centres Luke Marshall and Stuart McCloskey were dominant and the two combined for the opening score after 27 minutes, before 21-year old hooker Tom Stewart crowned his first start by punishing poor defending when he looped around a lineout to score three minutes from the break.

Connacht finished the half with a boost when Conor Fitzgerald landed a penalty from 35 metres to cut the gap to 11 points but they fell apart after the restart, coughing up six penalties in ten minutes.

Scrum-half Nathan Doak extended the lead with a 45th minute penalty and then he touched down for a try six minutes later when Stewart was stopped just short.

Doak’s third conversion made it 24-3 as both sides emptied their benches and Ulster secured the bonus point when full-back Stewart Moore got over after Connacht No.8 Paul Boyle was binned for offiside.

Replacement scrum-half Caolin Blade got over for a consolation try ten minutes from time after former Leinster out-half David Hawkshaw also impressed after coming on, but other than the performance of another ex-Leinster player, flanker Josh Murphy, there were few other consolations as Ulster finished on a high with replacement prop Callum Reid getting the touchdown and Doak converting from the right.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending