Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us


Eager An Cheathru Rua make short work of hapless opponents



An Cheathru Rua 0-13

Bearna  0-7


NO team can expect to win a senior football championship tie without registering a score from play and Bearna’s limitations in the attacking department were emphatically exposed as An Cheathru Rua cruised into the last 16 with a comfortable six point victory in Inverin on Sunday.

No matter that their team manager Sean Breathnach was out of the country, that three key players were injured, or that they took the foot off the pedal to an almost alarming extent in the final quarter, this was still an easy win for the men in red.

And no wonder. Bearna’s six starting forwards, two midfielders, and two attacking substitutes failed to muster up a point from play between them, as they relied on seven placed balls from Tom Curran for their entire haul. On the basis of this performance, they look to be in real trouble ahead of a showdown with Mountbellew-Moylough in the losers’ round.

By way of contrast, An Cheathru Rua went about their business with admirable conviction, led by the De Paor brothers, Cillin and Ciaran, team captain Padraic O Loideain, Liam MacDonnacha, and impressive new Longford import Sean MacGabhann, who fired over four points from play. How Bearna could have done with his accuracy in front of goal.

An Cheathru Rua had hammered Bearna when the sides met in Comortas Peile na Gaeltachta three weeks previously and looked to be set to repeat the dose when MacGabhann’s fourth point gave them a 0-11 to 0-3 lead nine minutes into the second half.

They eased off after that, however, and Bearna at least tried to make a game of it by bringing D.D. Flaherty off the bench and lobbing a series of high balls into target man Brian Conneely. Flaherty did force a finger-tipped save from An Cheathru Rua goalie Ciaran Mac Donnnacha after 48 minutes – had that gone in, it might have been a far tougher finish for the victors.

But Bearna’s woes were summed up three minutes later when wing back Paddy Naughton received a red card for a second bookable offence from ‘by the book’ Caltra referee Martin Flaherty.

In fairness to Bearna, they were not lacking in commitment in what was a tough, physical tussle – the only problem was that they had no end product as they simply could not score.

The De Paor brothers, meanwhile, conjured up seven points between them, with Cillin putting in a fine hour’s work around midfield and MacGabhann looking a serious edition to their attack.

There was nothing between the sides after ten minutes, with Ciaran de Paor (free) and Mac Gabhann responding to two Curran frees, and little indication that Bearna would struggle so badly in attack as John Clifford, Rory Donnellan, and Naughton got stuck in around the middle third.

But, gradually, An Cheathru Rua took control. Liam Mac Donncha set up a good point for Cillin de Paor on the run, Ciaran de Paor pointed from a free following a foul on his brother and then found the target again after Richie Carroll hauled Ian Seoighe to the ground.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.


Connacht Tribune

Galway let 11-point slip in a thrilling minor battle



Galway’s Colm Costello tries to fend off the challenge of Roscommon’s Ethan O’Reilly during Friday's Connacht minor football semi-final at Tuam Stadium. Photo: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

Roscommon 1-16

Galway          2-12

IT would be a tad simplistic to dub what was a hugely entertaining Connacht minor football semi-final as a game of two halves, given that Galway led by 11 points at one stage before Roscommon stormed back to eventually claim a remarkable victory at Tuam Stadium last Saturday.

The reality is a little more nuanced, in that Galway, on their first outing of the year, impressively carved Roscommon’s defence apart with an array of stylish attacking play for a 20-minute spell while playing with the wind at their backs. Outside of that period, though, Galway would just manage to register a solitary point from play.

Roscommon also let four decent goal chances slip through their fingers before they eventually did raise a green flag, drawing two saves while also hitting the post. Critically they hit the last three points of the half to leave a slightly more manageable eight between the sides.

During Galway’s purple patch, pacy corner forwards Eanna Monaghan and Niall Mannion both left their markers chasing shadows, as Galway reeled off nine scores without reply having understandably started quite sluggishly. Goals by Sean Bermingham and Monaghan looked to have Alan Flynn’s side in the box seat, but Roscommon showed remarkable character to claw their way back despite a second half black card that threatened to stall their comeback.

However, when Robert Heneghan’s thunderous 47th minute shot hit the roof of the net while Roscommon were still a body short, the large travelling support rose the decibel levels another notch and their team responded magnificently.

Read full coverage in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now – or you can download the digital edition from

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Corofin hit the goal trail again in crushing Monivea/Abbey




WHILE it goes without saying that everyone is hugely thankful that sporting action has resumed and we still appear on course to complete a season, it is such a pity for the time being that only a handful of supporters are allowed the privilege to watch a team of Corofin’s class in full flight as they look destined to create history on their march to an eighth senior title in a row.
On a glorious day for football last Sunday, Corofin dismantled Monivea/Abbey in emphatic fashion, playing an electric brand of football that repeatedly cut holes in their opponent’s defensive alignment. Seven goals last time out against Oughterard, there could have been more again in Tuam Stadium but for some uncharacteristically sloppy finishing to rapier-like first half moves that left Brian Mulry’s side exposed.
It didn’t help that Cillian McDaid, Monivea/Abbey’s star turn, was an absentee, or that St. Bernard’s Connacht Junior Cup quarter final was scheduled for the same time, but Monivea/Abbey should still take a small shred of comfort from the fact that they competed well at times, created 19 scoring chances, and never dropped their heads despite the lost cause.
With no Connacht or All-Ireland club championship to have to try and peak for later in the year, Corofin look poised to lay down a serious marker on how far ahead of the pack they really are. New faces like Matthew Cooley and replacement Colin Kelly, who confidently netted two second-half goals on his debut, are being given their chance, while Ronan Steede, Martin Farragher, Bernard Power, and Daithí Burke were not required on this occasion.
Throw in the fact that Kevin O’Brien chose to keep Kieran Molloy and Gary Sice in reserve until deep into the second half and you start to seriously question whether any side in the county will be able to lay a glove on them this term. Ian Burke is motoring along nicely, Micheál Lundy appears revived back in a more attacking role, while veterans like Ciarán McGrath are haring around the pitch as if they have a point to prove.
Monivea/Abbey were lively all over the pitch early on and actually created one more scoring opportunity in the opening twelve minutes (5-4) but were unfortunately wasteful when it mattered and somehow found themselves trailing by 1-2 to 0-1.
Corofin’s movement and accuracy were already sublime, with Lundy, Burke, and Cooley lining up in an I formation down the middle of the attack and Darragh Silke offering himself as a highly effective link man in transition. Jason Leonard and Dylan Canney provided width when needed while the defensive Dylan’s, Wall and McHugh, tore forward when the chances arose.
Ian Burke’s sharp turn on eight minutes left Caelom Mulry in his wake, but when a goal looked likely Burke drove just over the bar. Three minutes later the dam broke when Lundy curled a pass into Cooley in space, and he picked out McHugh on the burst who slotted to the net at his ease.
A Brian Moran free registered Monivea/Abbey’s first score shortly after, but the die had already been cast. Jason Leonard drove over a ’45 after Burke had been denied by some last gasp defending before Canney clipped over a classy score where Lundy and Burke were involved again.

Extended report will appear in this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway minor footballers stun Kerry in brilliant win



NOT many minor teams would have coped with the adversity and setbacks which stalked Galway’s championship summer, or much less end up looking forward to an All-Ireland final appearance in over a fortnight’s time.

Donal Ó Fatharta’s latest batch of minor footballers have had their mettle well and truly tested over the past couple of months, notably when falling twice in the provincial title race and also having to overcome a numerical disadvantage in a key match against a quality Sligo outfit.

The fact that Galway came through all those difficulties to contest last Sunday’s absorbing All-Ireland semi-final was a tribute to the squad’s character and resolve. Quite simply, this is a group of players wearing maroon jerseys who don’t know when to give up.

Having comfortably dispensed with Leinster champions Kildare in the All-Ireland quarter-final – Galway teams at all levels seem to have the Indian sign over the Lilywhites – they had clearly parked a heartbreaking extra-time loss to Mayo in the Connacht decider. It meant they headed to GAA headquarters in good fettle and no doubts about their bottle.

In the opposition corner, however, was a Kerry team trying to maintain the county’s push for an unprecedented sixth consecutive All-Ireland minor title. The Kingdom were also unbeaten in 34 matches at this level and were strong favourites to carry the day.

But the Galway players were both undaunted and ready for the challenge. They rose to the occasion in magnificent style and, pretty soon, it was evident that this was going to be no walk in the park for the highly-rated Kerry boys.

Galway thrived in the open spaces of Croke Park in producing their most accomplished display of the campaign.

Read full match coverage in Tribune Sport.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads