Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Business

€6m of Galway property auctioned last week

Published

on

 €550,000 - Distillery Road, Newcastle

More than €6 million worth of residential and commercial properties was sold under the hammer last week.

Colm O’Donnellan of O’Donnellan & Joyce Auctioneers said investors were out in force, trying to beat the deadline for the expiry of the Capital Gains Tax exemption scheme of December 31, for properties held for more than seven years.

“Sales throughout 2014 have been strong, with the highest volume of sales seen over the last six years. Due to the CGT deadline, investors were very evident in the auction room and we expect sales to continue steadily with a slight increase in prices for 2015, investors may not be as prominent as in 2014 and this should give a better opportunity to homeowners,” said Mr O’Donnellan.

At the morning session, around €1.7m worth of sales for commercial and investment properties were achieved, with cash buyers in force.

Residential property sales in the afternoon recorded around €4.5m in sales, with many first-time buyers.

The biggest sale on the day was a block of four apartments on Shantalla Road in the city – 2 two-beds and 2 three-beds, which had an Advised Minimum Value of €450,000. The block attracted intense bidding and sold for €620,000.

A three-bed detached house on a large site at Distillery Road in Newcastle had an AMV of €450,000 and sold for €550,000.

DIY enthusiasts and bargain-hunters were also evident, with two semi-detached houses in need of repair at 4 and 5 Newcastle Road at Cooke’s Corner, Galway City, selling for €80,000 and €88,000 respectively.

Established areas such as Salthill saw much demand with a four-bed semi at San Antonio Terrace selling for €361,000 – 20% over its AMV of €300,000.

 

Connacht Tribune

Roadshow’s nationwide brainstorm

Published

on

The Creating Our Future Roadshow on its stopover in Galway city.

Galwegians were offered the chance to play a part in creating a better future for Ireland – by participating in a nationwide brainstorming session last week.

The Creating Our Future Roadshow is midway through its mission to visit every county in Ireland in a month – having started out on September 24 in Wicklow and running until October 26.

It’s a government-led national brainstorm that will involve the people of Ireland in a conversation on the role research can and should play in addressing opportunities, challenges and hopes for the future.

Creating Our Future, according to Minister Simon Harris, will ensure that the direction of research in Ireland is informed by the people it serves.

The organisers are asking people to submit their ideas about what researchers in Ireland should explore to create a better future through the dedicated online portal www.creatingourfuture.ie, which is open until November 30.

The Roadshow is also pulling up in towns across the country to encourage the public to engage in a conversation with researchers over a cup of coffee – and to submit an idea about an opportunity or challenge in their lives, community, Ireland or the world; or something they are curious or passionate about and would like researchers to explore.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Deputies outline blueprint for sustained regional recovery

Published

on

Pictured: Ministers Michael McGrath and Paschal Donohoe meet with members of the Regional Group of Independent TDs - including local Deputies Sean Canney, Noel Grealish and Denis Naughten.

A group of independent TDs has called on the Government to prioritise spending on rural Ireland – to regenerate regional towns and villages, increase supports to farmers and community initiatives, and the support local business.

The Regional Group of Independent TDs used their Pre-Budget Submission to highlight the ‘critical need to invest in our people to support the transition back to normality’.

The group – which includes local Deputies Sean Canney, Noel Grealish and Denis Naughten – met with budget ministers, Michael McGrath and Paschal Donohoe where members outlined five key points they want to see addressed in next week’s budget.

They are seeking support for the regeneration of towns and villages, housing, green villages, remote working and transport links; investment to help home-grown SMEs through recovery and renewal – and a complete review of tax credits and social welfare systems to ensure working is always financially better.

They also want to see investment in health and community initiatives, and in services within communities, on top of repurposing existing infrastructure – and increased supports for farmers, to aid intergenerational transfers and the agri-food sector.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

SMEs hit by cyber attacks

Published

on

As many as three out of five small and medium businesses have reported at least one cyber attack during the previous year, while 43% of all data breaches involve small and medium sized businesses. But despite this, the majority of small and medium businesses believe they are too small for a cyber attack – and almost half have no understanding of how to protect themselves against an attack of this nature.

That’s why local SMEs are being encourage to sign up for a free seminar which will help prepare them against cyber attacks.

Leading cybersecurity expert, Andrea Manning, who is CEO and Co-Founder of Irish company CyberPie, will be speaking as part of the free Cyber Security Summit organised by itag (Innovation Technology AtlanTec Gateway) and Cyber Ireland.

The virtual event will be delivered next Thursday, October 14, and is open to anyone who registers in advance.

Other parts of the seminar will be focused on cutting edge cyber security and related matters, covering topics such as cryptocurrency, digital forensics, cyberpsychology, zero trust and more.

Among the other high profile speakers participating will be Prof. Lisa Short who is Director and Co-Founder of P&L Digital Edge Limited, Nick Asvos of Palo Alto Networks, Prof. Greg Gogolin from Ferris State University in the US, Blessing Usoro of JP Morgan Chase & Co, Rebecca Springett of TitanHQ, Brian Honan of BH Consulting, Donna O’Shea of Munster Technological University and Derek Laffan of Dublin City University.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending