Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

€40,000 to be spent on the Browne Doorway

Published

on

Eyre Square’s Browne Doorway – dating back to the first half of the 17th century – could be in line for a spot of ‘touch up’ next year, if a City Council Budget 2015 proposal gets the go-ahead tonight (Monday).

City councillor Terry O’Flaherty said that she warmly welcomed a proposal to spend €40,000 on the historic landmark next year and hoped that the Perspex cage around the doorway, which has been falling into disrepair for years, would be removed.

“Given the millions of euro that were spent in the refurbishment of Eyre Square, it was a disgrace that this iconic doorway has sadly been kept inside a Perspex cage,” said Cllr O’Flaherty.

She said that the image of such a piece of history being kept in this fashion was not an image that the city wanted to portray to the world.

A spokesman for the City Council told the Galway City Tribune that there was a proposal in their 2015 Budget for a grant of €105,000 to be made available for the maintenance of a number of historical sites in the city.

These included Comerford House at the Spanish Arch, Terryland Castle, Merlin Park Castle and Menlo Castle as well as the Browne Doorway, said the spokesman.

“The City Council are also in the process of drawing up a new heritage plan that will include the many places of historical interest in the city,” said the spokesman.

Dating back to 1627, the Browne Doorway, is regarded as a particularly fine example of an entrance to the house of a mediaeval merchant.

It was once the entrance to the Browne ‘mansion’ in Abbeygate Street but was moved to Eyre Square in 1904 by the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society, when the original building turned into a ruin.

Connacht Tribune

Pedestrian seriously injured in Furbo hit and run

Published

on

A man in his 40s is in a serious condition in hospital following a hit and run in Furbo last night.

He was a pedestrian who was walking on the R336 road near Furbo Church, when he was hit by a car around 8.30pm.

The driver of the car failed to remain at the scene.

The road is currently closed with diversions in place while Garda Forensic Collision Investigators conduct an examination of the scene.

Gardaí are appealing for any witnesses to the collision to come forward, particularly any road users who may have dash-cam footage recorded in the area between 8pm and 9pm.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Drug use in Galway at ‘frightening levels’ says top Garda

Published

on

Use of illegal drugs has reached ‘fairly frightening’ levels across the city and county, according to Galway’s top Garda.

Chief Superintendent Tom Curley said that only about 10% of the drugs in circulation in society are detected by Gardaí.

He said that there had been increases in detection of drugs for sale or supply and for simple possession in the city and county so far this year.

Cocaine in particular was an issue in Galway, he said, but increased drug use was evident in “every village and town in the country”.

In his report to the latest Galway City Joint Policing Committee, Chief Supt Curley said that there had been a 22% increase in detection of drugs for sale or supply in Galway, up 14 to 78 at the end of September.

There had been 108 incidents of drugs for simple possession, up by 15%.

The amount of cocaine seized in the first nine months of the year amounted to €538,838. The level of cannabis seized amounted to €361,872.

Ecstasy (€640) and heroin (€2,410) were also seized, according to the Garda report.

Councillor Donal Lyons (Ind) said it was a concern that cocaine had overtaken cannabis for the first time, in terms of the street value of the amounts seized.

Councillor Eddie Hoare (FG) said that the Garda Drugs Unit needed to be commended for the seizures.

Councillor Alan Cheevers (FF) said it was concerning that use of cocaine had escalated.

In response to Chair of the JPC, Councillor Niall McNelis (Lab), Chief Supt Curley said there were some instances where parents or siblings were being pursued by criminals over drug debts accrued by family members.

He added he would continue to allocate resources to the drugs problem.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Up to 20-week waiting period for youth mental health service in Galway

Published

on

Young people in Galway have highest waiting times in the state for an appointment with the Jigsaw youth mental health service.

That’s according to Galway West TD Mairéad Farrell who revealed that waiting times for an appointment here are currently up to 20 weeks.

“Figures released through a Parliamentary Question have shown there are significant wait times for counselling appointments with Jigsaw, the mental health service which provides vital supports to young people, in Galway,” she said.

“Demand for the Jigsaw service in Galway and across the State continues to grow, however, as a result youths are waiting up to 20 weeks to get an appointment. With young people from Galway currently experiencing the longest wait times at 20 weeks.

“Every expert in child and adolescent mental health will tell you that early intervention is absolutely vital in avoiding enduring and worsening problems in the future.

“Yet, these figures reveal that if a child or young person seeks out care they are in all likelihood going to be faced with extended waiting periods which are simply unacceptable and put them and their mental health at a very serious risk,” she added.

Deputy Farrell said that young peoples’ mental health had been adversely affected during the pandemic – with loss of schooling, sports, peer supports and even their ability to socialise with friends impacting.

“Jigsaw have experienced a 42% increase in the demand for their services and this cry for help from our young people cannot fall on deaf ears,” she said.

“There is also an element of postcode politics, that depending on where you live you may get treated quicker.  Some areas have a three-week waiting time while others are left waiting for 20 weeks.

“Uniformed mental health treatment is needed – so our young people can access the care they need, when they need it and where they need it.

“I have called on the Minister to urgently engage with the service to provide a solution,” she concluded.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending