Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Farming

€13.5m worth of tractors take to the road at Barnaderg for charity run

Published

on

"Those magnificent men in their tractor machines" . . . the Masseys, John Deeres, New Hollands and many, many more ready for the off last Sunday morning in Barnaderg at the start of the North Galway Tractor Run in aid of Galway Hospice.

OVER €13 million worth of tractor hardware was on display last Sunday in Barnaderg at the start of the North Galway Tractor Run that’s expected to pull in over €13,000 for the Galway Hospice Foundation.

Almost 300 tractors took part – ranging from 50 year old vintage models to modern super-tractors valued at well over €100,000 – in one of the most spectacular road events of the year in the North Galway area.

The tractor run began and ended in Barnaderg – starting shortly after 1pm and ending at around 4pm – after the completion of a route that took in Brierfield, Moylough, Mountbellew, Menlough, Skehana, Monivea and Abbeyknockmoy.

The giant convoy spanned for several miles along the route and attracted large groups of spectators, even if the second part of the run clashed with the first half of the Ireland/England rugby match at the Aviva Stadium.

Main organiser of the event, Paul McWalter, told the Farming Tribune, that the response to the second staging of the North Galway Tractor Run had been phenomenal.

“We had tractors taking part from places like Kilkenny, Mayo, Clare, Westmeath and Roscommon – as well of course as all the local participants – the response has just been wonderful,” said Paul McWalter.

He said that they estimated the total value of tractors at the event to be of the value of €13.5 million with almost 300 taking part in the run.

“People have been very generous and supportive of this event. An awful lot of people put in a huge effort to ensure that this run went off without any hitches – I would also like to pay a special thanks to the Gardai for their escorts and overall support to us,” said Paul McWalter.

Last year’s tractor run raised almost €10,000 for Palliative Care at Arus Mhuire in Tuam and Sunday’s event is already expected to raise over €13,000 for Galway Hospice.

This was only the second staging of the event but already plans are in place for next year’s run when it is hoped to break the 300 tractor mark.

“We’ve been taken aback in a good way at the support for this event. Farmers from all over Galway and from furthere afield as well, have really rowed in behind it.

“I saw something like this taking place in Kilkenny a few years ago and thought to myself that we could make the same thing happen here. So far, so good and already we’re looking forward to next year,” said Paul McWalter.

Connacht Tribune

Smiles . . . but little else for farmers

Published

on

Minister for Public Expenditure, Michael McGrath and Minister for Finance, Paschal Donohoe, before their presentation of Budget 2022 to the Dáil.

FARM leaders have described this week’s Budget 2022 as ‘underwhelming and disappointing’ for the Irish agricultural sector – with nothing new of any substance in the financial plan for the coming year.

The rollover of the different agricultural schemes – annually worth in the region of €600m – has been one of the few aspects of Budget 2022 that has been welcoming by the farming sector.

An overall budget allocation of almost €1.86 billion has been set aside for the Dept. of Agriculture next year in addition to almost €1.2 billion of EU direct-payment funding.

The farming sector had sought to have a percentage of the carbon tax allocated for the setting up of a new REPS II type environmental scheme – however, this hasn’t happened.

Chair of the IFA’s National Farm Business Committee, Rose Mary McDonagh, told the Farming Tribune that there was really nothing of any significance in the budget for the farming commuity.

“There was a commitment in the Programme for Government that a percentage of the carbon tax would be allocated for the establishment of a new REPS II type scheme but unfortunately this hasn’t happened.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Farmers urged to stand up and fight

Published

on

Out in force: Michael O’Donohoe, Abbeyknockmoy; Pat Gately, Kiltormer; Noel Kelly, Mullagh and Micheál Haverty, Clonberne, at last Friday’s IFA protest rally in Roscommon.

THE Government has been sent a strong message that they must ‘talk to farmers’ and not ‘at them’ following last Friday’s series of rallies across the country, according to Connacht IFA Chair Pat Murphy.

He said that many farmers across the West of Ireland – and all over the country – were now very fearful of the future given the lack of clarity, negotiation and information at what was coming down the track for them over the coming years.

“I’d put it like this. On Friday in Roscommon, I met many, many ordinary farmers who mightn’t have been at a protest ever before who turned out for this one. We were delighted with the turnout at the four venues across the country,” said Pat Murphy.

He said that the three main issues that kept coming up with farmers were the eco scheme elements of the new CAP; the future of the suckler cow sector; and the lack of ‘real negotiations’ that the Government had undertaken with the farming representatives.

An estimated 400 farmers turned out for the Connacht rally outside Hyde Park in Roscommon which followed on from the first early-morning gathering in Cavan.

The third ‘afternoon rally’ took place in Portlaoise while the biggest turnout of the day was in Cork for ‘the night event’, which attracted an estimated 3,000 people.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

A battle for survival!

Published

on

Huge turnout sought for farmer rallies on Friday.

IN the weeks and months ahead, Irish farming faces one of its biggest challenges. The recently-passed Climate Action Bill means Ireland has to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 51%. This leaves the Government with one of the biggest policy challenges in the history of the State.

They selected this target without any consideration of the consequences for the economy, or for Irish farming. Shortly, the Government will publish carbon budgets, and Sectoral Emissions Ceilings. This will include a legally-binding emissions ceiling for Irish agriculture.

Because of this, every policy pursued by the Government is now designed to reduce output and hit our most productive farmers. This will have huge consequences for Irish farming. Already, the Government is talking about having a ‘stable national herd’.

There is no such thing as a ‘national herd’. We have over 100,000 cattle herds in this country, with an average of fewer than 70 animals. These cattle are owned by farmers, not the State. The livelihoods of thousands of farmers and their families depend on these herds. We cannot place a new quota on these farmers.

IIn the coming weeks, our Minister will also finalise his plan for Ireland’s next CAP programme for 2023-27. Based on the current proposals, 25% will be sliced off every farmer’s Basic Payment to fund Eco Schemes.

Many farmers will not be able to qualify.  Those who do, will suffer significant compliance costs. As a result, some of our most productive farmers will see their incomes devastated. These Eco Schemes are cuts, not ‘rewards for environmental actions’ as some in Government are describing them.

The EU rules allow our own Government to reduce the percentage cut for Eco Schemes below 25%. The Minister must pursue this and the schemes must be designed in a way that allows our most productive farmers to get a larger Eco Scheme payment.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending