Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Duo for trial on serious assault charges

Avatar

Published

on

Two young city men are to be sent forward for trial charged with assaulting a man in Munster Avenue last July.

Jack Colleran (20), of 27 Westbrook, Knocknacarra and Kyle Lally (21), of 82 An Drisín, Knocknacarra, were both initially charged last year with assaulting Martin Burke, causing him harm, at Munster Avenue on July 4 last, contrary to Section 3 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997.

The pair had been remanded on bail to appear before the court again last week while the State awaited the DPP’s directions in the matter.

Inspector Kevin Gately told the court the DPP had directed a more serious assault charge be preferred against the pair and that the original, lesser charge be withdrawn.

Detective Tom Doyle gave evidence of arresting Kyle Lally earlier that morning at the Courthouse and charging him with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Martin Burke, at Munster Avenue, Galway on July 4 last year, contrary to Section 4 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997.

Lally, he said, made no reply when the new charge was put to him.

Garda David Foley gave evidence of similarly charging Colleran with the new charge.  He made no reply either when it was put to him.

Judge Mary Fahy noted the State was withdrawing the Section 3 assault charge and that the DPP had directed the pair be sent forward for trial on the more serious Section 4 assault charge.

She remanded both accused on continuing bail to February 10 next for service of Books of Evidence. Free Legal Aid was granted to Colleran.  His solicitor, Colin Lynch, said he was a student living at home.

Connacht Tribune

Old mills set for new life as distillery

Declan Tierney

Published

on

An artist's impression of the new distillery.

An old corn mill in East Galway is set to be transformed into a €6 million whiskey and gin manufacturing distillery – once planning permission has been granted for the development.

And if approved, the distillery has the potential to create more than 15 new jobs directly in the village of Ahascragh, providing a huge economic boost to the area – and rescuing the old corn mill which ceased operation in the 1950s.

A planning application for the new brewery has just been submitted by Gareth and Michelle McAllister of McAllister Distillers in North Dublin, with a decision due before the end of the year.

Gareth McAllister told The Connacht Tribune that he intended to renovate the old building while retaining some of the old features such as a mill wheel, and utilise the stream that runs through the property.

The complex, as well as producing various styles of Irish whiskey and gin, will also include a visitor centre, rooms for hospitality events, a retail shop and cafe.

Read the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now. You can also purchase a digital edition here.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Aer Arann marks half a century of linking islands to the mainland

Dara Bradley

Published

on

Current Aer Arann owners Jarlath Conneely (left) and Peter McKenna, pictured in front of their aircraft. Photo: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

When Coley Hernon of Cill Rónáin on Inis Mór wrote letters to newspaper editors in 1970, questioning why the Aran Islands couldn’t have an air service like that operating from many Scottish islands, a number of Galway businessmen responded to the challenge.

Among them were visionaries Jimmy Coen and Ralph Langan, who established a local airline, Aer Arann Islands – and on August 15, 1970 the first flight took place between Inis Mór and the Galway mainland, at Oranmore.

According to the Connacht Tribune archives, the inaugural flight of the twin-engine plane, which cost £40,000, carried ten people in all, including a number of Bórd Fáilte officials and tourism representatives.

“The weather was unkind and heavy mist and squally winds made for unpleasant conditions but nevertheless the inaugural flight went off according to schedule,” the Tribune newspaper report said at the time.

When they landed, they were greeted by members of Aran Islands Tourist Development Association at a new £20,000 airstrip at Killeaney.

That first commercial flight from Galway’s mainland to the Aran Islands will be commemorated this weekend, 50 years later.

From those humble beginnings, it’s a company that has faced turbulence during its five decades, not least in recent years when there was uncertainty over State supports (PSO, Public Service Obligation) for the service . . . but at its core has always been a sense of duty to serving islanders.

Read the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now. You can also purchase a digital edition here.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway among counties least hit by Covid

Dara Bradley

Published

on

Galway has so far suppressed the spread of Coronavirus this summer – with the latest figures showing the county is one of the least affected in the Republic of Ireland in the past fortnight.

The number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 per 100,000 population stands at just 3.1 in Galway in the last two weeks, compared with the national average of 18.42.

Three of the counties plunged into a partial lockdown again last Friday – Laois, Kildare and Offaly – had cases per 100,000 over the past fortnight of 86.19, 146.51 and 123.14 respectively.

The rate in Clare was 28.62, Mayo was 6.32, Roscommon was 1.55, and Tipperary was 1.25.

In the past week, Galway surpassed the 500-mark for confirmed cases of Covid-19 since the pandemic struck in March.

None of them are now in hospital, according to the data.

In the week to Sunday, there were a total of three new cases confirmed in Galway, bringing the running total to 501. The previous week, there a total of five new cases.

On Tuesday of this week, both of Galway’s two public hospitals, University Hospital Galway and Portiuncula, were Covid-free, and were not treating any patients in wards or in ICU who were confirmed as having Covid-19.

Get all the latest coverage of the Covid-19 pandemic in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now. You can also purchase a digital edition here.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending