Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Sports

Dunne delivers glowing half-time report on his Galway FC side

Published

on

As the Airtricity League season heads into a two-week mid-season break, Galway FC manager Tommy Dunne says he is delighted with the progress his side has made, but is warning against anyone getting carried away by a recent run of results which has seen his side now installed as favourites to win the First Division title.

Writing in his programme notes for Friday’s game with Wexford Youths, Dunne admitted that the recent run of results which has seen wins over Cobh Ramblers (5-1) and Shelbourne (4-2) in the league, and a 3-1 win in the FAI Cup over UCD, has been “outstanding”, but he cautioned there was still plenty of football to be played.

“Nobody in the squad or management is getting carried away. We can become a good team, I have no doubt about it. Of course we are only starting off and there is a need to be patient and realistic,” he wrote in his notes, and he continued the message when speaking to the media after the game.

“There is still loads of football to play, I think it will go to the wire and still think there will be 4 or 5 teams involved at the end,” he said.

The players have been given a week off now, and will return to training on Sunday ahead of the game with Longford Town on Friday week, and Dunne says that while the break may be coming at the wrong time considering their run of results, on the other hand the players are in need of a break.

“We’d probably rather if we could keep going but in saying that, the boys can’t go at that pace all the time, so we’ll have to address the rest and making sure they’re coming back in good health and good shape for the second phase.

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway Youths advance to Interleague knockout stages

Published

on

Galway’s Piotrik Symonski celebrates his goal with Gussi Khumula in the 4-0 win over the Clare League. Photos: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

Galway League 4

Clare League 0

Local Soccer Wrap with Mike Rafferty

 Three up at the break, the home side were always in command of this FAI Youth Inter-League group game in Eamonn Deacy Park on Saturday night as the victory allowed them to advance to the knockout stages of the competition.

Having previously defeated the Limerick League in an away contest and with Clare having drawn with the Treaty outfit, the tag of favourites rested comfortably with the home side.

For the duration they were the better side as Oisin Coyne, Ethan McCauley and Ryan Mill bossed the midfield exchanges with their silky touches, while Evan Moran and Gussi Khumula provided plenty of attacking options from the wide positions.

The home side made the perfect start when impressive striker Piotrik Symonski beat three players in a strong run before finishing with the calmness of someone who knew what he was doing. Evan Moran then added two more before the break, before substitute Charlie Quinn sealed the outcome with the fourth on the resumption.

Galway League: Babonos, Nylain, Tolin, Keady, Diana, Coyne, Khumula, McCauley, Symonski, Mill, Moran.

Clare League: Kilker, McCillick, Fitzpatrick, Kantecht, McNamara, Byrne, O’Halloran, Hanrahan, Hassett, McDonagh, Wallace.

Referee: Gary Small.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Greenfields shuttle their way into last four of Irish Trophy

Published

on

The Corinthians U-14 squad pictured after their thrilling game against Creggs last weekend. From left: Georgia Farrell, Emma Leica, Ivy Delport, Molly Howard, Ella Rose Starr, Siun Lyons, Eimear O'Neill, Laura Barry, Lauren Johnston Lynch, Katelyn Flanagan, Izzy McWeeney, and Aoife Denby.

Greenfields 2

Randalstown 2

Greenfields won 3-1 on penalty shuttles

Greenfields Hockey Club are through to the semi-finals of this season’s Irish Hockey Trophy after a penalty shootout win over Randalstown of Antrim in their quarter-final meeting in Dangan last Saturday.

The visitors started on the front foot, and had the experienced Greenfields defence of Tara Melvin, Suran Tierney, Ailish Walsh and Anna Boyce under pressure in the first quarter, dominating possession and territory in the first five minutes and forcing Greenfields to soak up a lot of pressure.

The Greenfields defence held firm, however, and were well marshalled by goalkeeper Deirdre Corcoran, and it was the home team though who were first to score on the counter-attack. A flowing move from the back resulted in possession in midfield with Ruth Clifford who passed right to Izzy Howard and her through ball found right winger Zara O’Toole.

O’Toole showed blistering pace down the right sideline and her weighted pass to Charlotte Elliot beat the last Randalstown defender and Elliott slotted the ball home superbly beyond the advancing Randalsdown’s goalkeeper Trish Neil for the only score of the quarter.

The second quarter was an equally tight contest with both teams enjoying some good goal scoring chances. Alexandra Graham for Randalstown in midfield was proving a real handful, dictating play and she set up a number of chances for Randalstown, but the Greenfields defence dealt with anything that came their way, bolstered by the experienced Corcoran.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Connacht set to mix and match for Challenge Cup encounter with Newcastle

Published

on

Connacht flanker Cian Prendergast leading this attack against Benetton during Saturday's United Rugby Championship tie at the Sportsground. Photo: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

IN a way, it is hard to know what to make of Connacht’s bonus-point win over Treviso last weekend, a result that keeps them in the hunt for a top-eight finish in the URC and qualification for both the league play-offs, and possibly the European Champions Cup.

No-one in their right mind wants to lose a game, but it leaves the province with decision to make as they take a break from regular league action this weekend to take on Newcastle Falcons on Saturday in the European Challenge Cup in the Sportsground (5.30pm).

Connacht’s Jekyll & Hyde start to the season – four wins in nine games and just three bonus points – means they have work to do to make the upper echelons of their own league, but achieving that is very much in reach, as they are ‘just’ three points off the pace at the half-way stage in the league.

It also means that they can’t go full-tilt at Europe, and they are clearly accepting that themselves: although the squad for Saturday won’t be announced until lunch-time the day before, Connacht have already confirmed that Finlay Bealham, Dave Heffernan, and Cian Prendergast will be absent as part of an IRFU protocol requiring all international players to sit out two games from the block of nine following the resumption of club action after the November internationals.

“There is healthy competition for selection, we have a few internationals away on holidays as well, so it does open it up to the squad, and it opens up to a squad that has been training well and has been training hard,” scrum-coach Colm Tucker said this week.

“You have to manage guys through the season, it is something last year that towards the end of the season, guys were a bit banged up, so we are very focused on that this year in terms of managing loads on players, so I think you will see some familiar faces out there mixed with some new faces, which is very positive for us,” he said.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending