Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Drink-fuelled students a main cause of street trouble

Published

on

Drunk students a major cause of Galway's street problems

Large volumes of alcohol being consumed by young people and students in their houses or apartments before ‘they go out on the town’ is one of the main causes of drunkenness and public order problems, a senior Garda has warned.

With a huge gap between the price of alcohol at off-licences and pubs, many young people are ‘well on it’ by the time they go into pubs or nightclubs around the city on a night out.

Garda Chief Superintendent Tom Curley told the Galway City Tribune that the Gardai were concerned about the ‘large volume’ of alcohol that was being consumed ‘in house’ before young people went out for the night.

Although the incidents of public drunkenness and public order problems showed a reduction for the first nine months of this year, as compared to the same period last year, Chief Supt. Curley said that the figures were still far too high.

For the first nine months of the year, there were 495 public order incidents in the city, actually down 14%, while the number of arrests for drunkenness at 221 was down by 18%.

“These figures, despite the reduction, are still far too high, and a primary cause of the problem is alcohol, and especially the amounts of it that are being consumed before young people go out at night.

“Young people and students might look at this from an economics point of view, but the fact of the matter is that far too much alcohol is being consumed. It’s as simple as that.

“When the vast majority of those people enter pubs and nightclubs they are already intoxicated and are only topping up for the rest of the night,” said Tom Curley.

In a statement issued by Galway Gardai, they have advised all students to ‘drink carefully’ as a court conviction for drunkenness or a public order offence could prevent them from getting a foreign visa in years to come.

They have also advised students to never leave their drink unattended and to never accept drink from strangers.

“We are also asking students to be respectful when they are returning from a night-out. Remember your neighbours by keeping quiet and remember that applies to loud house parties as well,” the Gardai have advised.

Connacht Tribune

Community fights back on hospital ‘downgrade by stealth’

Published

on

Raw emotion, sadness and some anger filled the air at Clifden Town Hall on Sky Road last Sunday afternoon as a shaken community gave honest, personal accounts of the impact the closure by stealth of Clifden District Hospital would have on the people of North Connemara.

The public meeting was hastily organised after fears emerged on Friday that the HSE may transfer respite services from Clifden to Merlin Park Hospital, 50-plus miles away in Galway City.

Families were told their loved ones in Clifden Hospital may have to move home, or go to Merlin Park the following Monday, due to ‘issues with staffing’.

An axe has hung over Clifden Hospital for some years, but this latest move stirred the community to fight back to retain services locally.

Galway County Councillor Eileen Mannion (FG), who organised the public meeting with Senator Sean Kyne, said 625 people signed the attendance sheets and an estimated 650 people attended.

“The community effort spreading the word was unbelievable; the turnout was unbelievable,” she said.

“It wasn’t just anger; it was raw emotion in the room. Sadness. Family members spoke about the calls they got on Friday. The feeling that their elderly person was being rejected; that they weren’t being respected.

“One man stood up, three years waiting for respite care for a family member, and then to be told after a few days in there that she’d have to be taken home or to Merlin Park.

“We’re 50 miles from Galway. If there’s no traffic you might get to the outskirts in an hour but with the traffic in Galway, you could be another hour to get to Merlin Park. Not everyone has transport either and they’ve to rely on buses.

“A young woman stood up at the meeting and said her dad was dying in Galway. And she had to go to Saint Vincent de Paul to get money to pay for a B&B so that the family would be close to him when the end came. People gave their personal stories, and it was just heart-breaking.”

(Photo by Carmel Lyden: Teresa Conneely from Roundstone addresses people at the public meeting in Clifden Town Hall).

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read extensive coverage of the Clifden Hospital story, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Pilgrim took to his feet to realise dream!

Published

on

Clifden man Breandan O Scanaill, who is on a pilgrimage from his home town of Clifden to Santiago de Compostela in Spain, received a Mayoral welcome and a memorial crest when he arrived at the Asturian town of Navia last week.

Breandan, whose walk from his home outside Clifden to the reputed burial place of St James in Santiago, began in April, was walking through Navia in Spain when a local man came over to chat to him.

“He asked me about my journey and was interested in the fact that an Irish man had turned up in the town,” says Breandan, who had been admiring the Chapel of San Roque at the time.

The local man outlined the history of the building and the town to Breandan and they began chatting more generally about history and architecture – topics dear to the pilgrim’s heart.

Breandán’s new friend introduced himself as the Mayor of Navia, lgnacio Garcia Palacios, who invited the visitor from Clifden to visit the Town Hall.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Local Property Tax rate to stay unchanged despite Council chief’s plea

Published

on

Councillors have agreed to keep the Local Property Tax (LPT) rate unchanged – despite pleas from management that Galway County Council is predicted to spend at least €22 million more than it brings in for the next two years.

County Chief Executive Jim Cullen had recommended an increase of 15% on the LPT rate for 2023 and 2024 – amounting to €2.1m extra in the coffers annually – which would bolster its case when it came to pleading for a greater share of funding from central government.

In an estimation of income and expenditure for the Council, taking into account “unavoidable” expenditure and income changes set to hit, the Council would run a deficit of €9.04m in 2023 and 13.2m in 2024 – well over €22m unless there was a change in finances.

“I am hopeful of an uplift in baseline [funding] levels . . . we cannot continue to ignore the fact that other councils have raised LPT and their citizens enjoy a better standard of services that in Galway,” he stressed.

He told a meeting this week that €9m would be needed to maintain services next year at the same level as 2022. This was due to significant cost increases given that inflation is reaching 9.6% currently. Pensions, gratuities and payroll increases from the national pay agreement, increments and additional staff were all adding to bigger outgoings.

Without that extra funding, it will be necessary to reduce spending by that amount with a negative impact on service and staffing levels, he said.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the story, including the councillors’ discussions, see this week’s Connacht Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending