Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Archive News

Dream start turns into a nightmare for struggling Utd



Date Published: {J}

St. Patrick’s Athletic 5

Galway United 2

Daire Walsh at

Richmond Park

GALWAY United continue their search for a second league victory in 2011 as they lost out to an impressively assembled St. Patrick’s Athletic outfit in Richmond Park on Monday evening.

Things could have been so different for Sean Connor’s men, having found themselves two goals to the good early on, but they were unable to fend off a strong comeback from the Inchicore side, as they now lie just three points above bottom club Drogheda United.

Playing with a traditional 4-4-2 formation, Galway looked up for the game in the early stages and took the game to their Dublin hosts. However, Pat’s were also looking dangerous in the early stages, and they were unlucky not to win a penalty just four minutes in when Daryl Kavanagh went down under a challenge from Stephen Walsh, but match referee Neil Doyle waved play on.

This came as something of a relief to the Tribesmen, and they took full advantage just five minutes later when Shane Keogh (starting up front alongside Alan Murphy) finished past Pat’s keeper Gary Rogers with the deftest of touches from a Brian Cash delivery on the right.

This came as something of a surprise to the home side, who wouldn’t have been expecting to fall behind at such an early stage, and it was the visitors who once again came up with the big moment on 19 minutes, as Murphy clinically dispatched his penalty to the back of the Pat’s net after his shot had been handled en route to goal by Paul Crowley.

This was turning into a potentially season-defining game for Galway, but it was early days yet, and two near misses by Derek Doyle proved just how dangerous the Saints could be. Indeed, it only seemed like a matter of time before Pat’s would peg back Galway’s lead, and so it was on 24 minutes, as Daryl Kavanagh finished coolly past Fleming after being put through in a one-on-one situation.

This lifted the spirit of the Pat’s players significantly and, as the half wore on, it appeared inevitable that Pat’s would draw level at some stage. Sean Kelly did go close for United with a 25-yard free-kick on 33 minutes, but there was no surprise when the second Pat’s goal arrived six minutes later, as Crowley made amends for giving away the earlier penalty by nodding past Fleming from a Bradley free on the right.

St. Pat’s were becoming more and more prominent in attack as the game progressed, and Evan McMillan was just wide of the mark from close-range with four minutes of the opening period remaining. They had to settle for a 2-2 scoreline at the break but, after the way they had started the game, this was a more than reasonable position for them to be in.

Galway Unitedwould have been disappointed with the way they let Pat’s back into the game after such a dream start, and they now had a real task on their hands if they were going to come away with a positive result from this encounter.

In the opening moments after the resumption, chances were proving to be few and far between, though Pat’s were enjoying the majority of the possession. Galway were battling well in defence though, and seemed capable of dealing with the approach play from the home side.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Galway in Days Gone By

The way we were – Protecting archives of our past



A photo of Galway city centre from the county council's archives

People’s living conditions less than 100 years ago were frightening. We have come a long way. We talk about water charges today, but back then the local District Councils were erecting pumps for local communities and the lovely town of Mountbellew, according to Council minutes, had open sewers,” says Galway County Council archivist Patria McWalter.

Patria believes we “need to take pride in our history, and we should take the same pride in our historical records as we do in our built heritage”. When you see the wealth of material in her care, this belief makes sense.

She is in charge of caring for the rich collection of administrative records owned by Galway County Council and says “these records are as much part of our history as the Rock of Cashel is. They document our lives and our ancestors’ lives. And nobody can plan for the future unless you learn from the past, what worked and what didn’t”.

Archivists and librarians are often unfairly regarded as being dry, academic types, but that’s certainly not true of Patria. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she turns the pages of several minute books from Galway’s Rural District Councils, all of them at least 100 years old.

Part of her role involved cataloguing all the records of the Councils – Ballinasloe, Clifden, Galway, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Portumna and Tuam. These records mostly consisted of minutes of various meetings.

When she was cataloguing them she realised their worth to local historians and researchers, so she decided to compile a guide to their content. The result is For the Record: The Archives of Galway’s Rural District Councils, which will be a valuable asset to anybody with an interest in history.

Many representatives on these Councils were local personalities and several were arrested during the political upheaval of the era, she explains.

And, ushering in a new era in history, women were allowed to sit on these Rural District Councils – at the time they were not allowed to sit on County Councils.

All of this information is included in Patria’s introductory essay to the attractively produced A4 size guide, which gives a glimpse into how these Rural Councils operated and the way political thinking changed in Ireland during a short 26-year period. In the early 1900s, these Councils supported Home Rule, but by 1920, they were calling for full independence and refusing to recognise the British administration.

“I love the tone,” says Patria of the minutes from meetings. “The language was very emotive.”

That was certainly true of the Gort Rural District Council. At a meeting in 1907, following riots in Dublin at the premiere of JM Synge’s play, The Playboy of the Western World the councillors’ response was vehement. They recorded their decision to “protest most emphatically against the libellous comedy, The Playboy of the Western World, that was belched forth during the past week in the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, under the fostering care of Lady Gregory and Mr Yeats. We congratulate the good people of Dublin in howling down the gross buffoonery and immoral suggestions that are scattered throughout this scandalous performance.


For more from the archives see this week’s Tribunes here

Continue Reading

Archive News

Real Galway flavour to intermediate club hurling battle in Birr



Date Published: 23-Jan-2013


Continue Reading

Archive News

Athenry fail to take chances as they bow out of Junior Cup



Date Published: 29-Jan-2013

Athenry FC 1

Kilbarrack United 2

(After extra time)

For the second year in succession Athenry were done in extra time in the FAI Junior Cup as last season’s beaten finalist’s came from behind to snatch an excellent game in Moanbawn on Sunday afternoon.

On a heavy pitch that was only playable following extensive groundwork by club officials all morning, the home side were by far the better side in the opening half, but failed to take advantage of a number of opportunities that came their way.

An Alan O’Donovan penalty gave them a merited advantage just after the restart, but thereafter were on the back foot as Kilbarrack took over, but for all their pressing, the home rearguard were dealing comfortably with their forays.

However they were struck a body blow just six minutes from time, as big striker Keith Kirwan was left all alone at the far post to head the equaliser and from that point on the Dubliners were the better side.

They started off the extra time in the ascendancy and enjoying all the momentum before striking for a good winning goal on 104 minutes. A strong bench allowed them to make some necessary changes and it was not a facility that was available to Athenry manager Gabriel Glavin.

With Gary Forde and Gary Delaney out through suspension following their sending off against OLBC in the previous round, and Seamie Crowe injured, it left their bench rather threadbare with just a number of young squad players available.

Playing with the aid of the slight incline and any wind advantage going, the home side had a Connor Cannon effort on target in the opening minute, while John Meleady was just over with a flick at the other end.

Meleady then tested Andrew Walsh who saved comfortably, before the goalkeeper pulled off a brilliant double save on 14 minutes.

Firstly he went full length to push away a Meleady shot and was then back on his feet to parry David Jackson’s close-range rebound.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads