Galway Bay fm newsroom – A planning application for the redevelopment of Galway Docks, has still not been submitted to An Bord Pleanála.
It had been expected that the application would be submitted by the end of June, but work is still ongoing to complete the proposal.
When the application is submitted, An Bord Pleanála will decide if the project should be considered under the IROPI process.
This means a project is of over-riding public interest.
The 50 million euro redevelopment of Galway Docks involves extending the harbour to accommodate large freight ships and cruise liners.
The Docks will also be connected to Ceannt Station in the city, to allow freight trains drive out as far of Galway Bay.
It’s now expected that the planning application will be submitted to An Bord Pleanála by the end of this month.
The Harbour Company will then concentrate on securing more funding for the project once the application is submitted.
1491 new cases of COVID-19 nationally
Galway Bay fm newsroom – As of midnight, Wednesday 4 August, the National Public Health Emergency team is reporting 1,491* confirmed cases of COVID-19.
As of 8am today, 193 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 28 are in ICU.
Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said: “Vaccination offers a real way out of this pandemic. The positive news is that take-up in Ireland is extremely high, which shows people understand the benefits for themselves and for their communities of getting vaccinated. Those with at least a first dose in the over 40s is over 90%, in the over 30s it is 84%, in the 18 to 29 year age group it is over 73%, and in the 16-17 year age group, it is over 46%. These figures continue to increase, and each person who has come forward should be commended.
“It’s understandable that after the period of time that COVID-19 has been with us, that some people become tired of it. But the virus does not become tired. It doesn’t care if we are fed up, it only sees the opportunity to spread from person to person when we let our guard down.
“Risk assess your plans this weekend. Remember that if you have any cold or flu like symptoms at all, you should err on the side of caution and stay at home – do not meet up with others, and do not go to work. If you are an employer, remind your employees to continue working from home where possible for now, and not to attend work with any COVID-19 symptoms. Vaccines work, but they must also be supported by us all choosing to act as safely as possible.”
Covid-19 walk-in vaccination clinics to open in Clifden and city this weekend
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Covid-19 walk-in vaccination centres will once again open in Clifden and the city this weekend. (7/8)
The centres are open on Saturday to those aged 16 and over who have not yet received a first dose vaccine.
The Clifden centre is based at Clifden Community School, and will be in operation from 10am to 2pm.
Meanwhile, Ballybrit Vaccination Centre will be open for walk-in appointments on Saturday from 10am to 4pm.
The Saolta Hospital Group says last weekend proved a tremendous success for both centres, with over 800 people receiving first dose vaccinations.
Coming up on FYI Galway@5
- The Health Minister is encouraging parents and young people to seek information from reliable sources as registration for COVID vaccines for 12 to 15 year olds will open next Thursday
- Covid-19 walk-in vaccination centres will once again open in Clifden and the city this weekend
- Partners will be able to attend 12 week maternity scans and C-sections under new HSE guidance to be issued to hospitals tomorrow