Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Developer who ordered woman to leave house avoids prison

Published

on

A developer, who gave a woman 10 days to leave the home he wanted to acquire for his property portfolio, was given an 11-month suspended sentence at Galway District Court.

Judge Mary Fahy expressed a fear that the defendant would do the same again. And, while she could not impose a penalty to prevent this, his intimidating actions had to be marked appropriately.

“If it happens again, I’d recommend it be dealt with on indictment (Circuit Court), as it’s so serious,” she warned.

John O’Halloran (29), with addresses at Pier Road, Seapoint, Barna, and St Anthony’s Terrace, Bohermore, previously pleaded guilty to trespassing on the home of an elderly woman on Fr Griffin Road nearly a year ago. A further charge of criminal damage was withdrawn by the State, in view of the plea.

The court heard that he entered the house on May 11 – the lone female occupant was woken up by a noise, and came downstairs to find the stranger in her hallway.

He told her to vacate the property within 10 days because he wanted to buy it, and he then took two letters addressed to her.

Garda Clare Burke subsequently spoke to O’Halloran, who admitted he had been there.

Judge Fahy asked why the accused had picked that particular house, to which the defendant’s solicitor, Olivia Traynor, replied that it looked unoccupied.

Ms Traynor said the Land Registry had told her client that the house belonged to someone else who had passed away, but he now realised that was not the case. She further explained that he had taken the letters as he wanted to find out the name and address of the occupant.

“He has built up a property portfolio and he thought he could buy the house,” she added.

The court heard that O’Halloran had nine previous convictions, among them for assault and Public Order offences.

“I’m sitting on the bench for 23 years, and I’ve never heard of such an outrage,” Judge Fahy said.

“There is no logical explanation why a person building up a property portfolio would do something like this.”

O’Halloran expressed his remorse, but the injured party was not inclined to accept it.

“It’s an absolute mistake and I tried to take shortcuts. I can’t tell this lady how much I’m sorry,” he said.

The woman replied: “And I can’t tell you how much I don’t believe you.”

The defendant offered €1,250 in compensation, which the injured party accepted on the basis that she could also take a civil case against him.

The Judge adjourned the matter for a further €500 in compensation and a Garda behavioural report.

He was warned that a custodial sentence would likely be imposed if this was not good.

Conditions of bail were also imposed on O’Halloran in the meantime, that he stay away from the woman, her home, and from the entire Fr. Griffin Road area.

When the matter was called again on Wednesday, Judge Fahy remarked that it had been a “most unusual case”.

She proceeded to impose an 11-month sentence, suspended for two years on the condition that he does not re-offend in that time, and continues to observe the conditions of bail.

“If he wants to buy property he must approach a person in the normal way or check the websites of whatever properties are genuinely for sale, and not intimidate anyone out of their house,” she said.

CITY TRIBUNE

Cyclists and disability groups don’t feel the love for ‘kissing gate’ barriers

Published

on

From the Galway City Tribune – Cyclists and disability groups long campaigning for the removal of ‘kissing gates’ on popular routes were overjoyed to see the one at ‘the Swamp’ in the Claddagh removed last week.

But their joy quickly turned to anger when it was returned a few days later. They learned that it had only been taken out to facilitate a private company. Grant Thornton had organised a 5K run along the Salthill Promenade for corporate staff and sports teams.

Gráinne Faller, who organises the Sundays4Safety awareness campaigns in Salthill, said she could not believe how quickly the Council could act to remove, then replace the barrier when bike groups have been calling for their removal for years, only to be met with inaction.

“These gates lock so many people out of our parks and playgrounds. How can we justify blocking access to public spaces? They are ableist, ageist and they block people with buggies and bikes. They really discriminate against parents. And then we learn that the Council is claiming that this isn’t a problem? We wait. And wait. It is not okay. It’s Council-sanctioned discrimination.”

Chairperson of the campaign group Cyclist.ie, Neasa Bheilbigh, said the gates excluded families and people with mobility impairments from using safe active travel routes to school and public amenities.

“To suggest quiet routes through housing estates and parks are not active travel routes, shows a lack of understanding about how people move in our city,” she insisted.

She highlighted the fact that the National Transport Authority (NTA) has committed to providing funding to remove barriers to promote universal access.

“I always feel safer cycling than walking at night, but having to dismount leaves me feeling vulnerable. The Council don’t seem to grasp the needs of people who use non-standard bikes as mobility aids and who cannot dismount or have the strength to navigate through these barriers.”

Liam Ferrie from Menlo said he was long past retirement age but he found his e-bike was a great way of getting around Galway.

“Last Sunday I cycled a total of 28km without any difficulty – apart from a very close pass by a motorist. However, if I had come to a kissing gate I’d have had to turn back as there is no way I could lift the bike through it.”

Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) for the National Ambulance Service, Reg Turner, said his family cycles along the Terryland Forest park en route to school and they have to manoeuvre a large cargo bike carrying his baby son through a kissing gate.

“My seven-year-old calls them jail gates. She says she is sick of lifting her bike and asks when are they coming to remove the gates. The crazy thing is the forest can be accessed from various other exits and entrances which don’t have these gates.”

At a Galway City Council meeting last July, City Council Director of Services for Transport, Patrick Greene, told councillors the NTA had written to Councils acknowledging that kissing gates were problematic for some users.

He said the NTA was working to come up with a new design for gates that are more accessible for users such as people on cargo bikes, pram users and people in wheelchairs, and the Council would act on any recommendations from the NTA once an alternative was sourced.

He said the City Council was planning to do an audit of all kissing gates across Galway.

Cllr Noel Larkin stated that without kissing gates, housing estates and public parks would be more accessible to vehicles and could result in antisocial behaviour.

Cllr Donal Lyons said motorbikes and other vehicles could access public parks and amenity areas if they were removed and not replaced.

(Photo: A cargo bike stuck at a kissing gates. The City Council removed one in Claddagh recently for a road race but then reinstated it).

This article first appeared in the print edition of the Galway City Tribune, September 23. You can support our journalism by subscribing to the Galway City Tribune HERE. The print edition is in shops every Friday.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Council needs extra loans for home-buying scheme

Published

on

From the Galway City Tribune – Galway City Council has had to draw down further loans to keep up with demand for the Local Authority Home Loan Scheme.

At a meeting of the City Council, Director of Services for Housing, Brian Barrett, said they had initially sought approval from councillors for a loan of €4.1 million but such was the demand that they required a further €1.4 million.

A renewed Local Authority Home Loan was announced in December last year and provides for Government-backed mortgages for first-time buyers and ‘fresh-start’ applicants – those who are divorced or separated, or who have undergone personal insolvency or bankruptcy.

The scheme was introduced to provide lower interest rate mortgages to those who are creditworthy but would otherwise find it difficult to access sufficient finance.

Mortgages up to 90% of the value of the property are available, with a limit of €320,000 applicable to Galway. An income ceiling of €65,000 applies to single applicants, or €75,000 in the case of a joint application.

Mr Barrett said since the original scheme was launched in February 2018, 277 applications had been received by Galway City Council and 120 had been approved.

Twenty-three of those loans applied to the Tenant Purchase Scheme for local authority tenants buying-out their homes.

“In February, councillors approved a loan of €4.1 million and we need another €1.4 million . . . we require €5.5 million,” said Mr Barrett, who explained this applied to 2022 applications only.

The funding would be borrowed by the Council from the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage.

Cllr Declan McDonnell (Ind) raised the issue of joint applications in the case of parents and an adult child who wished to buy out a local authority house under the Tenant Purchase Scheme.

“There is a situation arising where a parent with a son or a daughter in the house and the parent is in their 60s. After getting approved, they go to the Housing Finance Agency and they’re told they can only get a four-year mortgage – they waste five months getting approved to be told that,” he said, explaining that money would not be loaned for a period beyond when the parent turns 70.

“That information was not relayed to the Council,” added Cllr McDonnell.

Dermot Mahon of the Council’s Housing Department said he was aware of this issue, but it was part of the scheme.

“The loan scheme specifies that the maximum age of the eldest borrower is 70,” said Mr Mahon.

Councillors agreed to increase the loan, bringing it to €5.5 million.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

City councillors pack their bags for Dutch transport junket

Published

on

From the Galway City Tribune – A group of city councillors will be packing their bags for Holland in the coming weeks as part of an initiative to introduce them to revolutionary transport solutions.

A meeting of the Council heard that the National Transport Authority (NTA) was willing to fund a trip for councillors to an area similar to Galway – in order to highlight the possibilities in relation to sustainable travel.

Council Chief Executive Brendan McGrath confirmed that the NTA “feel it would be beneficial for councillors to see some of the solutions implemented in other areas”.

“It would be to a town in Holland, similar in size to Galway, to see their active travel solutions,” said Mr McGrath.

There would be no cost to the City Council, he added.

The meeting heard the trip would last three days and would be open to nine councillors – half of the full Council – while two City Hall officials would accompany them.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending