Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Farming

DAS payments cleared for Aughty commonage

Published

on

Slieve Aughty commonage crux resolved.

CLOSE on 50 commonage farmers in the Slieve Aughty area of South Galway have had their Disadvantaged Areas Scheme – DAS – payment cleared last week, following a wrangle over eligible areas that had held up payments for the past month.

Minister for Agriculture, Simon Coveney, in a Dáil reply to a question from Fianna Fáil Agriculture Spokesman, Éamon Ó Cuív, confirmed that outstanding issues had been resolved in respect of the Roxboro commonage in Castledaly.

Local councillor, Gerry Finnerty, had hit out at cuts in the eligible areas that were as a result of inspections carried out in September/October of last year without any notifications being given to commonage claimants.

“What happened is that farmers were accused of an over-claim despite the fact that they had been led to make this application by the Dept. of Agriculture,” said Cllr. Finnerty.

Following the inspections, the eligible area of almost 1,100 hectares (2,700 acres) was reduced to 476 hectares (1180 acres), leading to the hold-up in the DAS payments.

This week, Connacht IFA Regional Chairman, Tom Turley, told the Farming Tribune that the payments had been cleared since last Thursday/Friday, after an effort had been made to impose cuts by stealth.

“The full payments have been cleared for the claimants for this year and now we must strive to ensure that any outstanding issues are cleared up for next year,” said Tom Turley.

Deputy Ó Cuív, in a Dáil question to the Minister for Agriculture, asked when the payments would be cleared for the farmers involved in the Roxboro commonage and to give the reason for the delay in their payments.

“I can confirm that following processing of outstanding issues in respect of the commonages in question, the application of the claimants concerned have recently been finalised with payments due to issue shortly, directly to the bank accounts of the applicants involved,” said Minister Coveney.

Connacht Tribune

Smiles . . . but little else for farmers

Published

on

Minister for Public Expenditure, Michael McGrath and Minister for Finance, Paschal Donohoe, before their presentation of Budget 2022 to the Dáil.

FARM leaders have described this week’s Budget 2022 as ‘underwhelming and disappointing’ for the Irish agricultural sector – with nothing new of any substance in the financial plan for the coming year.

The rollover of the different agricultural schemes – annually worth in the region of €600m – has been one of the few aspects of Budget 2022 that has been welcoming by the farming sector.

An overall budget allocation of almost €1.86 billion has been set aside for the Dept. of Agriculture next year in addition to almost €1.2 billion of EU direct-payment funding.

The farming sector had sought to have a percentage of the carbon tax allocated for the setting up of a new REPS II type environmental scheme – however, this hasn’t happened.

Chair of the IFA’s National Farm Business Committee, Rose Mary McDonagh, told the Farming Tribune that there was really nothing of any significance in the budget for the farming commuity.

“There was a commitment in the Programme for Government that a percentage of the carbon tax would be allocated for the establishment of a new REPS II type scheme but unfortunately this hasn’t happened.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Farmers urged to stand up and fight

Published

on

Out in force: Michael O’Donohoe, Abbeyknockmoy; Pat Gately, Kiltormer; Noel Kelly, Mullagh and Micheál Haverty, Clonberne, at last Friday’s IFA protest rally in Roscommon.

THE Government has been sent a strong message that they must ‘talk to farmers’ and not ‘at them’ following last Friday’s series of rallies across the country, according to Connacht IFA Chair Pat Murphy.

He said that many farmers across the West of Ireland – and all over the country – were now very fearful of the future given the lack of clarity, negotiation and information at what was coming down the track for them over the coming years.

“I’d put it like this. On Friday in Roscommon, I met many, many ordinary farmers who mightn’t have been at a protest ever before who turned out for this one. We were delighted with the turnout at the four venues across the country,” said Pat Murphy.

He said that the three main issues that kept coming up with farmers were the eco scheme elements of the new CAP; the future of the suckler cow sector; and the lack of ‘real negotiations’ that the Government had undertaken with the farming representatives.

An estimated 400 farmers turned out for the Connacht rally outside Hyde Park in Roscommon which followed on from the first early-morning gathering in Cavan.

The third ‘afternoon rally’ took place in Portlaoise while the biggest turnout of the day was in Cork for ‘the night event’, which attracted an estimated 3,000 people.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

A battle for survival!

Published

on

Huge turnout sought for farmer rallies on Friday.

IN the weeks and months ahead, Irish farming faces one of its biggest challenges. The recently-passed Climate Action Bill means Ireland has to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 51%. This leaves the Government with one of the biggest policy challenges in the history of the State.

They selected this target without any consideration of the consequences for the economy, or for Irish farming. Shortly, the Government will publish carbon budgets, and Sectoral Emissions Ceilings. This will include a legally-binding emissions ceiling for Irish agriculture.

Because of this, every policy pursued by the Government is now designed to reduce output and hit our most productive farmers. This will have huge consequences for Irish farming. Already, the Government is talking about having a ‘stable national herd’.

There is no such thing as a ‘national herd’. We have over 100,000 cattle herds in this country, with an average of fewer than 70 animals. These cattle are owned by farmers, not the State. The livelihoods of thousands of farmers and their families depend on these herds. We cannot place a new quota on these farmers.

IIn the coming weeks, our Minister will also finalise his plan for Ireland’s next CAP programme for 2023-27. Based on the current proposals, 25% will be sliced off every farmer’s Basic Payment to fund Eco Schemes.

Many farmers will not be able to qualify.  Those who do, will suffer significant compliance costs. As a result, some of our most productive farmers will see their incomes devastated. These Eco Schemes are cuts, not ‘rewards for environmental actions’ as some in Government are describing them.

The EU rules allow our own Government to reduce the percentage cut for Eco Schemes below 25%. The Minister must pursue this and the schemes must be designed in a way that allows our most productive farmers to get a larger Eco Scheme payment.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending