Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Farming

Credit Union bids to attract farmers with loan facilities

Published

on

Michael Culkeen: seeking farmers' business.

FARMERS in the greater North Galway area – who may have ‘ran into brick walls’ when seeking credit or loans from the banks – have been asked to pencil in a farmer support campaign being ran by a local credit union.

St. Jarlath’s Credit Union in Tuam have organised the Farmer Support Scheme from Monday next, February 29 to Saturday, March 12, for farmers who may find themselves under financial pressure this Spring.

It has been a difficult Winter for many farmers due to the rain and storms of recent months and some may now find it difficult to make ends meet as they face into a ‘new year’ in the fields.

Many farmers may not be aware of the lending capacity of the Credit Union movement, and the aim of this latest campaign is to get farmers ‘to drop in’ to their local branch and have a chat about their needs.

Agricultural loans can be secured from the Credit Unions for a diverse range of farming purposes including sheds, the upgrading of farm machinery, stock loans, land reclamation and land purchase.

St. Jarlath’s Credit Union CEO, Michael Culkeen, said that they wanted to send out a clear message to ‘the ordinary farmers of the county’ that they [Credit Union] were ‘open, ready and willing’ to do business with them in terms of loans and credit arrangements.

“We would feel very strongly as the local credit union that we are uniquely positioned to help the farming community in whatever project they are embarking on.

“What we can offer is a personalised, face-to-face service and I would also like to emphasise that many of our staff have very close links the local rural communities,” Michael Culkeen told the Farming Tribune.

He said that in the past, people might have associated the Credit Union movement more with personal and car loans than farm/business loans but this certainly wasn’t the case anymore.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune

Changes agreed on TB testing regime

Published

on

Stephen Canavan: Six months test proposal is not on!
Galway IFA Chairman, Stephen Canavan

A PROPOSED six-months testing requirement for all bovine animals moving herds will now only apply to cows and males over 36-months old, following discussions over recent weeks between the Dept. of Agriculture and the IFA.

Initially it had been proposed by the Department that the six-months testing regime would be in place for all animals from next year, but the ‘age compromise’ has now been agreed.

However, another major issue now needs to be resolved as to who will pay for a second test when it comes to the sale of the older animals through the marts or from herd to herd.

According to Galway IFA Chairman, Stephen Canavan, the compromise deal on the six-months testing requirement for the older animals – ‘while not ideal’ – was the best that could be achieved.

“The vast majority of mart sales or sales between farmers will involve animals which are under 36 months of age so at least some progress has been made on that issue.

“Now, the negotiations will switch to the issue of who will pay for any of the six-months tests where they apply, and the IFA are taking a very strong line on this.

“The agreement on payment always has been that farmers will only have to pay for one test per year and we will be insisting that this extends onto any seller who has to have a six-months’ test,” said Stephen Canavan.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

The show goes on . . . for the 183rd time

Published

on

At the launch of The Irish Draught Horse Society Show were: Seán McGuirk, Chairman; Elizabeth Dean Coogan, Council Member; Margaret Buckley, Treasurer; John Harney, Chairman Ballinasloe Horse and Agricultural Show; Cllr. Dermot Connolly and Maeve O'Meara, Secretary.

JOHN HARNEY from Mountpleasant first joined the Ballinasloe Horse and Agriculture Show Committee, all of 60-years ago, on April 24, 1962. Both John and the show are still going strong as they celebrate their 183rd event on this Sunday. Here, he looks back on his involvement with this iconic show through the years.

THE Ballinasloe Show back in the early 1960s was going well with both the Showgrounds and Duggan Park both used for running the competitions.

My first introduction to the show was stewarding the pony competitions in the Mountpleasant end of the Duggan Park with the rest of the GAA field being used for trade stands.

At that time, it was a very big show with horses, ponies, cattle and sheep, pigs and fowl – also there was a big garden and farm produce section as well as a home craft and baking section with flowers and plants supported by a very large women’s committee.

At that time, showjumping took place in the afternoon with the top riders in the country taking part.  I was elected Chairman at the AGM in 1975, a position I held for ten years.

During that time, the Duggan Park Committee approached the Show Committee for a piece of the showgrounds behind the GAA Stand for dressing rooms.

This was brought up a number of times at our committee meetings, and at first, the view was that the Duggan Park Committee would buy the ground.

However, after much deliberation it was decided by the Show Committee to ‘give the ground’ for the sum of £1 with the proviso that the dressingrooms could be used on show days by the local ICA to do catering for the event.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

ACRES away from a proper scheme

Published

on

Connacht IFA Chair, Pat Murphy

THE new ACRES environmental scheme came in for scathing criticism at a Connacht IFA meeting this week with farm representatives describing it as being ‘choked with red tape and paperwork’.

Connacht IFA Chair, Pat Murphy, told the Farming Tribune that the scheme had turned out to be ‘a sore disappointment’ for West of Ireland farmers who needed a workable and practical scheme to ensure survival into the future.

“The money is not in the scheme; it’s choked with restrictions and rules; and at the end of the day, there’s no guarantee that farmers will get paid for the actions that they undertake,” said Pat Murphy.

Over 100 people attended the regional meeting in Roscommon on Monday night which was addressed by IFA President, Tim Cullinan and Director General, Damian McDonald.

Concerns were also expressed that not all farmers applying for inclusion in ACRES would ‘get in’ by early next year, due to budget limitations on the scheme.

According to Pat Murphy, the scheme is laden down with ‘bureaucracy and red-tape’ as well as putting obstacles in the way of farmers who were more than willing to embrace the whole principle of a proper environmental scheme.

“But even at this late stage, I still believe that practical changes can be made to the scheme which will make it more farmer friendly.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending