Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Covid-19 restrictions see Galway City crime levels continue to fall

Published

on

Crime in the city continued to fall in the first two months of 2021, with detection of drug offences and property crime both down as people stay home under Covid restrictions.

At a meeting of Galway City Joint Policing Committee this week, it was revealed that arrests for the sale or supply of drugs and simple possession fell in January and February by 16 and 18 per cent respectively.

Gardaí seized no ecstasy for the first two months of the year, with cocaine by far the most common seizure – amounts valued at €126,190 were taken off the streets. Just over €50,000-worth of cannabis was seized, as was heroin to the value of €2,140.

Chief Superintendent Tom Curley told members of the JPC that officers from both the Drugs Unit and regular uniformed Gardaí were ‘working very hard’ to detect drugs circulating in the community.

“Salthill Unit Gardaí have had a lot of success in that area regarding drug detection. We’re not relying on any specific unit alone to engage in detection.

Cllr Alan Cheevers (FF) said good work had been done over the past year on drug-related crime but said there was more to do.

“We can see in Ballybane over the last number of months that there has been Gardaí on the beat, but there is a lot more work to be done in the drugs area.

“Since the last JPC, a number of college students and secondary school students have been targeted by crime gangs for the use of their bank accounts – using them as money mules,” said Cllr Cheevers, referring to other areas, before asking if there were reports of such incidences in Galway City.

Chief Supt Curley said he was aware of ‘rumours’ relating to money mules but as yet, no cases had been reported in Galway.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see the current edition of the Connacht Tribune or Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Connacht Tribune

Man in his 70s killed in South Galway crash

Published

on

A man in his 70s has died following a crash in South Galway on Tuesday afternoon.

Gardaí are currently at the scene of the two-car crash, which occurred at around 3.35pm on the N18 at Kiltartan.

The driver and sole occupant of one of the vehicles, a man in his 70s, was pronounced dead at the scene. His body was taken to University Hospital Galway where a post-mortem examination will be conducted at a later date.

The driver and sole occupant of the other vehicle involved, a man in his 30s, was taken to University Hospital Galway for treatment of his injuries which are believed to be non-life threatening.

The road is currently closed and will be closed overnight awaiting an examination by Garda Forensic Collision Investigators have been requested.

Gardaí have appealed for any witnesses or road users with dash cam footage to contact them. 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Schools and colleges in Galway advised to close for Storm Barra

Published

on

Schools in Galway have begun informing parents that they will not open tomorrow, following advice from the Department of Education.

The Dept said this evening that schools, colleges and universities in areas where a Status Orange or Red warning apply for Storm Barra should not open.

A spokesperson said: “Met Éireann has advised that there is a strong possibility that the status of parts of these counties currently in Status Orange are likely to change and escalate to Status Red.

“Due to the significant nature of Storm Barra, as forecast by Met Éireann and to give sufficient notice to institutions of further and higher education, the department is advising that all universities, colleges and further education facilities covered by the Red Alert and Orange warning from Met Éireann should not open tomorrow, 7 December.

“All schools and third level institutions should keep up-to-date with the current weather warnings which are carried on all national and local news bulletins and in particular any change in the status warning for their area.”

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway Gardaí: ‘Stay at home during Storm Barra’

Published

on

Gardaí in Galway have warned people to stay home tomorrow (Tuesday) as Met Éireann forecasted a ‘risk to life’ ahead of Storm Barra’s expected landfall tomorrow morning.

At a meeting of the City Joint Policing Committee (JPC), Council Chief Executive Brendan McGrath said the City Council was preparing for the ‘high probability’ of coastal flooding.

A combination of tomorrow’s high tides with the forecast high winds and heavy rainfall would likely lead to a flooding event, he said.

Chief Superintendent Tom Curley said the best advice available was to stay at home but refused to comment on school closures – advising that was a matter for the Department of Education.

Mr McGrath said a number of meetings between local and national agencies had already taken place, with more set to run throughout the day as preparations got underway for this winter’s first severe weather event.

“High tide is at 6.45am tomorrow morning and at 7.20pm tomorrow evening. There is currently a Red Marine Warning in place for the sea area that includes Galway and an Orange Storm Warning for Storm Barra for 6am Tuesday morning to 6am on Wednesday morning,” said Mr McGrath, adding that it was possible this storm warning could be raised to Red later today.

With high tide at 5.45 metres and a forecast storm surge of 1.05m, the risk of flooding was significant. In addition, winds were currently forecast to be South-West to West, said Mr McGrath, conducive to a flooding event in the city.

“It is potentially problematic . . . the hope would be that the storm surge doesn’t happen at the same time as high tide,” he added.

The flood protection barrier had been installed at Spanish Arch over the weekend and storm gullies had been cleaned. Sandbags were to be distributed throughout the day, said Mr McGrath.

Council staff would be on duty throughout the weather event and Gardaí would be operating rolling road closures from early morning. Carparks in Salthill were closed today, while tow trucks were on standby to remove any vehicles not moved by their owners before the high-risk period.

Chief Supt Curley said it was imperative people stayed home where possible.

The best way to say safe was to “leave the bicycle or the car in the driveway” from early tomorrow morning, and to stay indoors until the worst of the storm had passed.

Met Éireann has warned of potential for flooding in the West, with Storm Barra bringing “severe or damaging gusts” of up to 130km/h.

A Status Orange wind warning has been issued for Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork from 6am Tuesday to 6am Wednesday, with southerly winds, later becoming northwesterly, with mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h and gusts of up to 130km/h possibly higher in coastal areas.

“High waves, high tides, heavy rain and storm surge will lead to wave overtopping and a significant possibility of coastal flooding. Disruption to power and travel are likely,” Met Éireann said.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending