Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

COUNTY WASTE COLLECTION RATES DROP

Avatar

Published

on

The amount of household waste collected in the county has dropped according to the environmental protection agency.

A new report published today show that over 58 thousand tonnes of waste was collected in 20-11, that’s down almost 5 thousand tonnes on the previous year.

However the city figures reveal a slight increase in household waste collection.

23 thousand 280 tonnes was collected in 20-11, that’s up almost 500 tonnes on the figure for 20-10.

The figures include black, brown and green bin collection, as well as bring banks and segregated glass collections.

Nationally, the amount of waste being generated by households has fallen by 17 percent in the last 6 years, which the EPA say is largely as a result of the recession and a decline in personal consumption.

Speaking to Galway bay fm news, Inspector at the E.P.A Fiona McCoole says Ireland has come a long way in terms of dealing with waste

Continue Reading

Breaking News

1 more death from COVID-19, and 11 new cases, nationally

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed that 1 person with COVID-19 has died.

There has now been a total of 1,741 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.

As of midnight Friday 3rd July, the HPSC has been notified of 11 confirmed cases of COVID-19. There is now a total of 25,509 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland. 

The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Archbishop of Tuam says new guidelines on religious services will bring ‘relief and joy’

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Archbishop of Tuam Michael Neary says the Government’s new social distancing guidelines for churches will be received with ‘relief and joy’ by parishes everywhere.

The rule change means up to 150 people can now attend services in larger churches instead of the original limit of 50.

Archbishop Neary says while unprecedented step of cancelling masses and other religious services was necessary, the last 3 months has been a difficult time for priests and parishioners.

He adds that parish teams responded to the situation in the most imaginative ways and full use was made of social media platforms, webcams and parish radio systems during that time.

However, Archbishop Neary says the sacramental life of the church is now ready to resume in line with the latest Government guidelines – and churches have been prepared and marked out, hand sanitising stations have been installed and teams of volunteers have been trained.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Call for Health Minister to give funding assurance on Old Grove Hospital redevelopment

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – There are calls for the Health Minister to give funding assurances for the Old Grove Hospital redevelopment project in Tuam.

It was revealed at a HSE forum meeting recently that the proposed redevelopment will cost in the region of 13 million euro and not 8 million euro as was previously estimated.

Galway County Council granted planning permission for the project at Vicar Street in 2017, with works initially expected to commence this year.

It would involve the part-demolition, refurbishment and remodelling of the building in two phases.

Phase one would incorporate mental health and shared services while phase two would accommodate early intervention and disability services.

Fine Gael Galway East TD Ciaran Cannon says the Health Minister must ensure the full funding for this vital project…

To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news….

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending