Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Councillors challenge decision on domestic refuse service

Published

on

Galway bay fm newsroom – Councillors are calling on the city manager not to proceed with the decision to close the domestic refuse service.

At last evening’s meeting of the local authority councillors agreed to use a seldom used act of the local Government to request the service be kept open.

However, the process to wind it down is already in place and letters have been sent to the council’s 10 thousand customers advising them of the plans.

The Council will also begin advertising this Thursday for expressions of interest from private companies to take over the service from November.

In a debate that lasted almost 4 hours, city councillors expressed their disappointment that they had only been informed of the plans last Friday.

City Manager Brendan McGrath explained to the chamber that he had taken legal advice and the decision to close the service was an executive one.

The Council voted to submit a section 140 notice to the city manager which requires seven day notice, and a day for further consultation must now be organised.

City Councillor Collette Connolly, who put forward the motion, is a city council bin customer herself, and says she still has many unanswered questions

Breaking News

Hear what city protestors had to say about overturn of right to abortion in US

Published

on

https://galwaybayfm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/ProtestFinal.mp3

Galway Bay fm newsroom – There was a strong turnout at a protest in the city last evening against the overturning of the right to abortion in the US.

The event began at Eyre Square, where activists and health workers addressed a large crowd, before leading a march through the city streets towards Spanish Arch.

David Nevin spoke to some of those taking part.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Worst June on record for overcrowding at UHG and Portiuncula

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Last month was the worst June on record for overcrowding at UHG and Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe.

Figures from the INMO show that 828 people were waiting on trolleys at UHG last month.

That compares to 549 in June 2019 before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic – and 65 in June 2006, when records first began.

There were a further 225 patients without a bed at Portiuncula Hospital – compared to 92 in June 2019 pre-COVID, and 8 in June of 2006.

The worst affected hospital nationwide last month was University Hospital Limerick – with more than 1,800 patients waiting for a bed.

Overall, just under 10 thousand patients were on trolleys at hospitals across the country during June.

Photo by Stephen Andrews on Unsplash

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Galway TD asks Taoiseach to explain plan to fix “fractured” health system

Published

on

https://galwaybayfm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/canneyortho.mp3

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Dáil has heard of a young man in Galway facing a 5 year wait for surgery despite the fact he cannot work, drive, or even lift his young children.

Deputy Sean Canney was asking the Taoiseach to explain what the Government’s plan is to fix our broken health system.

He said waiting lists are out of control and staff morale is low, with many nurses leaving the public health service.

Deputy Canney began by outlining how one young man in his constituency is suffering as a result.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending