Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Councillor comes up with alternative to bypass plan

Published

on

A county councillor has put forward a series of proposals for the new city bypass, including underpasses and the conversion of the Quincentenary Bridge into a six-lane highway.

Fine Gael’s Frank Kearney from Turloughmore said the consultants behind the plans need to look at alternatives to their existing proposals because of mass opposition.

He said the proposals will address the chronic traffic problems on the Headford Road to Ballybrit, on the Quincentenary Bridge and on Seamus Quirke Road.

■ Remove the footbaths on the Quincentenary Bridge and make three lanes of traffic on both sides and build hanging bridges on either side for cyclists and pedestrians.

■ To ease the traffic congestion on the east side of the city, a slip road be made to and from the Quincentenary Bridge onto Dyke Road and a road to link onto the Headford and Tuam roads put in place.

■ The project would also include the relief road for Claregalway and a link from there that would bring traffic from the west side of the city on to the M6 towards Carnmore.

■ To alleviate traffic on the westside, a slip road to an underpass under the Quincentenary Bridge to be carried out in conjunction with proposed widening works by NUIG on their own underpass, and onto the N59 Moycullen Road and a similar type exit from the N59 onto the N6 or Seamus Quirke Road.

■ Remove the Browne Roundabout at the back gate of the hospital. Create an underpass that would bring traffic from the Lower Newcastle Road to the Thomas Hynes Road.

■ Create a slip road off the N6 from the Bridge into the hospital back gate and a slip road exit from the gate towards Seamus Quirke Road. Traffic wishing to exit the hospital towards Moycullen and other areas can use the Cathedral side exit.

■ An underpass into Westside Shopping Centre to take away the traffic lights, providing freedom of movement with just one set of lights at the western side of the Quincentenary Bridge between the traffic lights at Galway Shopping Centre to the lights at Glen Oaks Hotel.

“This I feel would ease the traffic congestion considerably on these roads and I would also suggest as part of the overall plan of freedom of movement that a new bridge would be created on the south side of the Salmon Weir Bridge that would take away the turn coming from the Town Hall and that the Salmon Weir Bridge would be retained for pedestrians and cyclists only.

“I would also suggest that discussions would take place with NUIG and that a Park and Ride facility be created at Dyke Road and that that another bridge would be built along the old Clifden railway line.

“A commuter bus could use that old Clifden railway line bridge every fifteen minutes from Dyke Road through NUIG and to the hospital. This link would only be used by the commuter bus, cyclists and pedestrians.

“With regard to Liosban congestion, traffic from Liosban should also be stopped from entering or exiting at the Pilio Hotel and a slip road and under/overpass should be provided onto Bóthar na dTreabh beside the old Ibis Hotel.

“Developing an underpass for entry and exit at Galway Shopping centre, Dunnes at Terryland and/or development of an exit slip road from the back of Dunnes in Terryland up to Sean Mulvoy Road could also be considered.

“€500m to €750m had been proposed for the new project. I feel that even allowing for several extra bridges, that it would not cost as much, and more importantly, cause much less damage to people’s homes,” said Cllr Kearney.

CITY TRIBUNE

Car enthusiasts say they have “every right” to use Salthill as event confirmed

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Car enthusiasts say they have “every right” to use Salthill this weekend as an event has been announced for Sunday.

It’s been confirmed by organisers on social media – who say they’re being unfairly portrayed in a negative light.

In a statement, the Galway Car Scene group say they pay road tax like all other road users – and they have “every right” to be in Salthill this weekend.

It comes as they’ve confirmed the event will be taking place there on Sunday as originally planned.

They add it’s unfair to accuse them of blocking up Salthill and other parts of the city given the chronic traffic issues every day of the week.

They’ve also created an online petition calling for a designated place for car enthusiasts to go – which has so far gathered almost 250 signatures.

It claims the car enthusiast community in Galway has been unfairly painted as a negative and anti-social group.

The group say they’re happy to go elsewhere, but say any time they try to find a venue they’re shut out.

The event planned for Sunday has encountered significant opposition, much of which is based on a previous “Salthill Sundays” event held in May.

Those opposed say they’re not against an event of this kind in principle – but they strongly feel that Salthill just isn’t the right venue.

It’s also argued that if the organisers want to be taken seriously, they have to engage with stakeholders like Galway City Council and Gardaí to ensure a well-planned and safe event.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Cars down to one-way system on Salthill Promenade

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A one-way system of traffic may be introduced along the Promenade in Salthill to facilitate the introduction of temporary cycle lanes.

The suggestion appeared to come as a shock to some City Council members who supported the cycle lane in a vote last month – one has called for a “full discussion again” on what exactly they had actually approved.

Councillors had voted 17-1 in favour of the principle of providing a cycleway that will stretch from Grattan Road all along the Prom.

The motion that passed at the September meeting proposed that the Council “shall urgently seek” to create a two-way segregated cycle track on a temporary basis along the coastal side of the Prom.

It was agreed that from the Blackrock Tower junction to the Barna Road would be a one-way cycle track.

The motion was voted on without debate, which meant Council officials did not have an opportunity to question the proposal.

At a meeting on Monday, the debate was revisited when Uinsinn Finn, Director of Services for Transportation, indicated that a one-way traffic system would be introduced in Salthill to facilitate a two-way cycle lane from Grattan Road to Blackrock.

This could mean that the outbound lane of traffic, closest to the sea, could be closed to all traffic bar bikes.

Mr Finn said that he would have sought clarity at the previous meeting – if debate were allowed – about what was meant by ‘temporary’.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway Christmas Market gets go-ahead for next month

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – It’s the first real sign of a restoration of normality in terms of the retail and hospitality sectors in the city – the return of the Christmas Market next month to Eyre Square.

This week, the City Council’s planning department gave the go-ahead for the outdoor retail and gourmet food ‘spread’ that has been part of the festive season in Galway since 2010.

The exception was last year when, like so many other public gatherings since the Covid crisis broke in March 2020, the event had to be cancelled because of public health concerns.

Christmas Market Organiser, Maria Moynihan Lee, Managing Director of Milestone Inventive, confirmed to the Galway City Tribune, that she had received official confirmation on Thursday from the City Council of the go-ahead being given for the event.

“This is really wonderful news for the city and especially so in terms of the retail and hospitality sectors. For every €1 spent at the market another €3 will be spent on the high street – this will be a real boost for Galway,” she said.

Maria Moynihan Lee confirmed that the market would have an earlier than usual start of Friday, November 12 and would run through until the Wednesday evening of December 22.

(Photo: Declan Colohan)

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending