Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Corrib Celtic upset odds by toppling West United

Published

on

Salthill Devon's Justin Murphy shields the ball from Loughrea Rams' James Conway during the clubs' Premier Divison tie in Bushfield on Sunday. EIREFOTO

By Mike Rafferty

UP until last Sunday, the Premier Division had provided little joy for struggling Corrib Celtic. A week previously they had lost a big six pointer against bottom of the table Hibernians, but in Annaghadown on this occasion, they caused one of the biggest shocks of the season to date with a 3-1 success over title challenging West United.

While United enjoyed plenty of possession and created opportunities mainly through set pieces, they could not breach the home rearguard who worked tirelessy to keep the city side at bay. The teams shared opening half penalties as David Coen put the home side ahead from the spot after Conor Maloney was fouled in the box, before Ronan Caldwell did likewise at the other end to get the better of Eoin Curry after another infringement in the area.

On the resumption, it was Corrib Celtc who had more of a cutting edge about them and they took the lead courtesy of an own goal when a Ryan Forde cross deflected off a West defender and looped over John Cotter for a 2-1 advantage. The home side sealed the win when a Cian Forde delivery was finished by Eoin Reddington to give them a second win of the season and move them away from the bottom two in the table.

Salthill Devon maintained their second position with a commanding 7-0 away win over a Loughrea side that are struggling somewhat after the loss of so many players in the off season. The visitors were four up at the break as they eased to a comfortable success.

Corrib Rangers 1

Athenry 4

After an opening half that saw the sides cancel one another out, Athenry stepped up a few gears on the resumption with three second half goals easing them to a merited victory as they remain third in the Premier Division table, just two points behind table toppers Mervue United.

The visitors made the perfect start when the impressive Cole Connolly did all the hard work himself after getting on the end of a long ball, before rounding Derek Grffin and slotting the opener into an empty net. Newly promoted Rangers levelled matters midway through the half when central defender Eric Browne got on the end of a Mark Wynne free kick.

The resumption saw the visitors at their most efficient as they dominated proceedings and were rewarded with three cracking goals. Elliott Langan is one of a new generation of young Athenry players who are beginning to make an impression and the left winger was certainly an outstanding performer throughout. He timed his run into the area to perfection on 61 minutes to give the visitors the lead, after Connolly and Cathal Fahy did the spade work down the right.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

CITY TRIBUNE

Council officials branded ‘ignorant’ after reneging on circus agreement

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A circus branded City Hall in Galway ‘ignorant and arrogant’ after a spat over access to public space.

Circus Gerbola criticised Galway City Council for limiting the days its big top was permitted in Claude Toft carpark in Salthill and for reneging on an agreement.

The touring troupe said that last January, it provisionally booked the carpark from August 4-21. In early July, the Council emailed the circus and said it would be limited to seven days only.

Event Producer Jane Murray said she then secured a verbal compromise to rent the carpark for 10 days, including two weekends. But then the Council contacted the circus again and insisted that the site could be used for seven days only.

“I wouldn’t call them clowns because I think it would be an insult to clowns and generations of clowning. They were just extremely ignorant and arrogant. They were so unempathetic,” fumed Ms Murray.

They then scrambled to find alternative accommodation, in Kinvara, for performances today, Saturday and Sunday.

The third planned week has been moved to Conamara. From next Monday, the big top moves to Fíbín theatre company grounds in An Tulach, Cois Fharraige, for a series of events.

A Council statement said the matter was discussed at length internally.

“The carpark in question is relied upon by locals and tourists alike for parking, particularly during the busy tourist season. The best compromise in this situation was to permit the circus to take over full use of the car park for seven days. We do envisage complaints/representations from locals at being prevented from using this car park for a full week,” it said.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 12 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Residents call on Galway City Council to tackle burning of rubbish

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Local residents have called on the authorities to tackle the problem of an ongoing illegal dump in the Castlegar area with the rubbish being burnt off on a regular basis.

A particularly intense fire was set off in the Bruckey area on Tuesday afternoon last with black smoke billowing from the blaze – forcing local people to close their windows and doors.

According to one local resident, even the Fire Brigade couldn’t access the blaze which eventually burnt itself out over the following days.

“This has been going on for the past four years and we have made several overtures to the City Council on the issue as well as contacting the Gardaí, but nothing is being done about this.”

He said that the land being used as dump and fire site was rented and added that those burning waste were ‘a complete law onto themselves who did whatever they liked’.

(Photo: the fire burning on Tuesday)

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 12 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Councillors ignore Transport Authority recommendation on estate access

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A submission by the National Transport Authority (NTA) – seeking to restrict new access points along the Western Distributor Road to ‘cyclists and pedestrians’ only – has been defeated at a City Council meeting.

Councillors voted 12-4 to reject the NTA submission presented in the draft Galway City Development Plan (2023-29) which sought to prevent new access points being provided for vehicular traffic.

The NTA in their submission said that their proposal was aimed at ‘protecting investment in public transport’ and in ‘facilitating sustainable travel’.

In his response to the submission, City Council Chief Executive, Brendan McGrath, said that the Council did not want any further restrictions to be put in place.

Councillors Niall Murphy (Green Party) and Colette Connolly (Ind) had proposed the acceptance of the NTA submission in order to improve access for cyclists and pedestrians.

Senior Planner with the Council, Caroline Phelan, said that there was a substantial bank of land in this area (off the Western Distributor Road) and the objective was to be able to access zoned land.

Cllr Declan McDonnell (Ind) said that if land in such areas was prevented from being developed by a lack of access, it would have major implications for industry, jobs, housing and schools. “We have to allow access,” he said.

(Photo: The ‘Kingston Cross’ lands on the Western Distributor Road which were earmarked for a commercial and residential development anchored by Tesco and Decathlon: An Bord Pleanála previously ruled access points would be a traffic hazard, particularly when it came to cycling infrastructure and a bus corridor on the road).

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the August 12 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending