Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Corofin unlikely to be caught napping by final newcomers

Stephen Glennon

Published

on

Corofin’s Michael Farragher, in action against Tuam Stars' Conor Rhatigan, will be vital to the Galway champions' hopes of completing the provincial title four-in-a-row against Padraig Pearses of Roscommon on Sunday.

ALL-Ireland champions Corofin make their bid for a 10th Connacht title — and a seventh in 12 years — when they host Padraig Pearses of Roscommon in the provincial decider at Tuam Stadium on Sunday (2pm).

The dominant force inside and outside the county in recent years, Corofin enter Sunday’s clash as 1/6 on favourites, with the Roscommon men priced at 9/2. In other words, Kevin O’Brien’s charges have been nailed on to take the victory.

Certainly, their track record reinforces this view. Their last defeat in the Connacht series was way back in 2015, when they lost to Castlebar Mitchels, after which Corofin bounced back to claim the next three Connacht crowns.

In contrast, Padraig Pearses only won their first county championship — at their eighth attempt —l ast month while the county’s last success in this competition was when St. Brigid’s of Roscommon accounted for Mayo’s Ballaghaderreen, 2-12 to 0-6, in 2012 to complete the three-in-a-row.

Indeed, St. Brigid’s are the only Roscommon team to have appeared in the provincial final since, losing to Castlebar Mitchels in 2013 and to Corofin in 2016. In this time, Corofin’s record has been good against Roscommon teams, no more so than last year when they trounced Clann na nGael 4-22 to 0-7 in the semi-final.

Corofin’s supremacy in this competition has shown no sign of abating in 2019, underlined by their semi-final win over Mayo champions Ballintubber, who they defeated in last year’s decider, with Liam Silke scoring the only goal in their 1-10 to 0-11 victory a fortnight ago.

Interestingly, the Corofin side that lined out against Ballintubber boasted the same 15 that started in their 2-16 to 0-10 defeat of Dr. Crokes of Kerry in the All-Ireland club final back in March, which is a credit to the conditioning done and injury prevention measures taken by the backroom staff.

There was a number of positional switches, with Daithí Burke and Kieran Molloy swapping roles between the half-back line and midfield, and Michael Farragher moving to centre-forward and Jason Leonard reverting to a wing-forward berth.

A measure of the strength of Corofin is their bench, off which Galway U20 players Darragh Silke and Gavin Burke were introduced the last day, along with Colin Brady, Conor Cunningham and Ciaran McGrath. There was no game-time, however, for Galway U20 defender Ross Mahon, as he has been struggling to shake off an injury picked up in the county final.

That said, it just goes to show the strength in depth of the Corofin squad. “The panel is very important to us in these games, particularly this time of the year,” says Corofin boss O’Brien. “Everyone who has come in has contributed, and there are a lot of lads outside who are pushing as well. So, the competition for places is high. It is great.”

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway City Council turns down Mad Yolk Farm site

Dara Bradley

Published

on

An application to retain farming-related development on a site in Roscam has been turned down by Galway City Council.

The local authority has refused to grant retention permission to applicant Brian Dilleen for subsurface piping to be used for agricultural irrigation at ‘Mad Yolk Farm’ on Rosshill Road.

It also refused permission for the retention of a bore-hole well, water pump and concrete plinth; and two water holding tanks for 6,500 litres; and other associated site works.

In its written decision, the Planning Department at City Hall said: “The proposed development, would if permitted, facilitate the use of the site for the provision of sixty 15.5m high seed beds, which have been deemed by the planning authority not to be exempted development.

“Therefore a grant of permission for the proposed development would facilitate the unauthorised development and usage on the site, contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.”

The site has been the subject of enforcement action by the local authority.

A lengthy Appropriate Assessment Screening report, submitted with the planning application, concluded “beyond reasonable scientific doubt, in view of the best scientific knowledge, on the basis of objective information and in light of the conservation objectives of the relevant European sites, that the proposed retention and development, individually or in combination with other plans and projects, has not and will not have a significant effect on any European site”.

A borehole Impact Assessment Report concluded that the proposed retention development “on the hydraulic properties of the aquifer is considered negligible”.

It said that there was “no potential for significant effects on water quality, groundwater dependent habitats or species associated with any European site”.

Six objections were lodged by neighbours, including one from the Roshill/Roscam Residents Association, which argued the Further Information submitted by the applicant did “little to allay our concerns” about the impact of the development on an “extremely sensitive site”.

The applicant has until June 29 to appeal the decision to An Bórd Pleanála.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

NUIG student accommodation firm records loss

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

The property company which operates student accommodation on behalf of NUI Galway recorded a €3.4 million increase in turnover in 2019.

However, Atalia Student Residences DAC (Designated Activity Company), which is owned by the university, recorded a loss for the year of €6,300.

Accounts for the company for the year ended August 31, 2019, show that while there was a loss, retained profits are at more than €1.6 million. The accounts are the most up to date available from the Companies Registration Office.

The previous year, the company made a profit of more than €460,000.

Atalia Student Residences operates the 764-bed Corrib Village apartment complex and the 429-bed Goldcrest Village.

The figures show that the company’s overall turnover jumped by 52% – from €6.4m to €9.8m.

Turnover for accommodation services was up from €5.2m to €8.4m; and from conferences and events was up from €850,000 to €1.1m. Turnover from shops was down from almost €328,000 to €290,000.

Outside of the academic year, both complexes are used as accommodation for conference delegates, while Corrib Village is also used for short-term holiday lets.

The accounts show fixed assets – including fixtures and fittings, plant and machinery and office equipment – valued at €1.5m. Its current assets were valued at more than €7m, including ‘cash at bank and in hand’ of almost €6.9m (up from €5.6m last year).

The company owed creditors €6.9m, including €5.2m in deferred income.

It employed 38 people (which includes its five directors) last year, up from 31 the previous year.

As well as operating the student accommodation complexes, the company also markets conference facilities and services on behalf of the university.

It pays rent to NUIG but the figure is not included in the company accounts. In 2018, the rent figure was just over €2.25m.

In Corrib Village, a single bedroom with a private en suite for the academic year costs €5,950. For Goldcrest Village, the figure is €6,760.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Call for two-way cycling under Galway City outdoor dining plan

Dara Bradley

Published

on

Bike users want the local authority to examine the introduction of two-way cycling on one-way city centre streets.

Galway Cycling Campaign has again called for cycling to be allowed both ways. It comes as Galway City Council prepares to cordon-off parts of city centre streets to traffic, and make Dominick Street Lower one-way, to facilitate outdoor dining.

The cycling organisation said that the proposed pedestrianisation plan at the Small Crane, and the one-way system on Dominick Street, will result in lengthy diversions for people on bikes.

It has pointed out that school children and their guardians who cycle along Raleigh Row, and turn right towards Sea Road, will probably continue to do so even when the Small Crane is cordoned off to traffic, because the alternative route – via Henry Street – is too long a detour.

Similarly, it has been suggested that food-delivery services on bikes are unlikely to go the ‘long way round’ via Mill Street and New Road to get from Bridge Mills to restaurants on Dominick Street and would be tempted to cycle the ‘wrong way’ down the proposed one-way street or on the footpath.

Shane Foran, committee member of Galway Cycling Campaign, said now would be an ideal time to introduce two-way cycling on some one-way streets.

“It’s not controversial,” insisted Mr Foran. “It’s a general principle in other countries, if you are putting in new traffic arrangements, you would try and keep access for people on bikes.”

The regulation is contained in the National Cycle Policy Framework 2009; and a specific objective was contained in two of the most recent previous City Development Plans.

He said a former minister and Galway West TD, the late Bobby Molloy, had the vision to change the legislation in the late 1990s – but it hasn’t yet been embraced here.

“Bobby Molloy, who couldn’t be classed as an eco warrior, changed the law in 1998, so that it is available to local authorities to put up a sign granting an exemption from restrictions for people cycling on one-way streets.

“The road stays one-way for cars, and two ways for bicycles. Clearly that’s not going to be a sensible to do everywhere, like Merchants’ Road. In those situations, you might need a cycle track or lane to segregate people from traffic.

“But if it’s a low traffic street, with low speeds or relatively lower volumes of cars, then it should be possible for people on bicycles to cycle in both directions and still have it one-way for cars, without it being a major safety issue. It works in other countries,” said Mr Foran.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending