Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us


Corofin, Kilconly and Milltown leading the way in Division 1A of Co. senior football league



THE second round of the club leagues were played over the weekend and Corofin, Kilconly and Milltown are leading Division 1A on full points, with St James and Leitir Mór on three points while An Cheathrú Rua, Mountbellew-Moylough and Tuam Stars have still to register a point.

 Milltown edged out Kilkerrin/Clonberne in a hard fought but entertaining contest in Milltown on Friday night by 3-8 to 2-9. Michael Martin was in sparkling form for Milltown, scoring all three of their goals. The sides were level at half time, 1-4 each.

Brian Meskell was the goalscorer for Kilkerrin/Clonberne. The introduction of Shane Walsh and Conor Rabbitte at half-time added penetration to the Kilkerrin/Clonberne attack, but the Martin goals and Cathal Blake’s dominance at midfield insured that home team held out. Others to shine for Milltown were Darren Mullahy and Seán Hehir. Best for the losers were Jonathan Ryan, Enda Daly and Brian Geraghty.

At a wet and windy Caherlistrane on Saturday evening, visitors Kilconly collected both points in a close contested game. The opening half saw Kilconly race into 1-5 to no score lead with Adrian Murphy scoring the goal from the penalty spot while John Paul Steede opened their scoring with three early points, one from a free and the other two from play. Barry Concannon and Niall Mullen shot their other points of the half.

Caherlistrane suddenly came to life with Ronal Connelly fisting their opening score on 25 minutes with Cormac Bane landing a free soon afterwards. And when Shane O’Brien scored a goal the gap was closed to three points by half-time.

The second-half was low on scores as the heavy rain and swirling breeze made it difficult for both sides, but Caherlistrane started the better start and midway through the half had clawed back the three points deficit with Bane in top shooting form.

But Noel Mullen put Kilconly ahead again with ten minutes to go, only for Eric Monaghan to level matters with five minutes to go. Subsequently, Adrian Murphy shot the winning point in injury time as Caherlistrane spurned some late chances.

A superb save by Leitir Mór goalkeeper PS Ó Ceallaigh from Carraroe forward Ciarán de Paor at the end of normal time ensured the two league points for his side in this local derby played in Carraroe. Naomh Anna did most of their scoring in the first half with Aongus Ó Flatharta, Fiachra Breathnach and Ciarán Ó Conghaile getting two points each, with one from Cormac Ó Conghaile, leaving them 0-7 to 0-1 ahead at the break.

Carraroe’s solitary score in that first half coming from Oisín Ó Gríofa, but they came back strongly in the second half and had reduced the deficit to two points, 0-8 to 0-6, with ten minutes left. Naomh Anna substitute Patrick Mark Ó Fátharta then scored a point with Ó Griofa replying for Carraroe before Ó Ceallaigh’s timely intervention meant Naomh Anna left with the two league points on a final score of 0-9 to 0-7.

In Division 1B, there are three unbeaten teams after the second round games. Caltra, Killererin and Annaghdown share top spot while there are four team on two points, Salthill-Knocknacarra, Oughterard, Mícheál Breathnach and Menlough with Cortoon-Shamrocks, Carna Caiseal and Bearna still pointless.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune

Champions Moycullen on guard after club football draw



Moycullen's David Wynne tries to halt the progress of Mountbellew-Moylough's Paul Donnellan during last year's Galway senior football final at Pearse Stadium.

CHAMPIONS Moycullen will open the defence of their title against an emerging Claregalway outfit when the sides meet in the first round of the 2021 county senior football championship on the weekend of September 5th.

In addition to Claregalway, Moycullen have also been pooled with An Cheathrú Rua and Annaghdown and, while Don Connellan’s charges will be favourites heading into all three SFC fixtures, the former Roscommon footballer will be acutely aware that each of their Group 3 opponents have the capacity to spring a surprise.

Indeed, this proved to be Moycullen’s forte in 2020 as they claimed the Frank Fox Cup for the very first time. It was even more impressive given they did so without Galway star Peter Cooke, who was working in the United States last year. Cooke has since returned and his availability significantly boasts their chances of retaining their title.

From the outset in 2020, though, Moycullen looked like men on a mission. In their group games, they saw off Micheál Breathnach (3-12 to 1-6), Annaghdown (4-9 to 2-14) and Mountbellew/Moylough (4-14 to 1-9) before accounting for St. James’ (1-17 to 2-9) and 2019 finalists Tuam Stars (3-14 to 1-15) in the quarter-final and semi-final respectively.

The two biggest threats to Moycullen’s crown are Corofin – still the reigning All-Ireland club champions – and Mountbellew/Moylough while Tuam Stars and Salthill/Knocknacarra will also fancy their chances.

Corofin, unbeaten for almost eight years in Galway SFC football until their demise last year, have been drawn in Group 4A, alongside Oughterard and Salthill/Knocknacarra. However, those three teams will not play each other, but rather they cross-play the teams pooled in Group 4B, namely Monivea/Abbey, Barna and Caherlistrane.

This unusual format gives each of these teams three SFC fixtures – same as the four-team groups – with the top two sides in each of these sections – 4A and 4B – advancing to the knockout stages.

See full coverage of the draw in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now – or you can download the digital edition from

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway let 11-point slip in a thrilling minor battle



Galway’s Colm Costello tries to fend off the challenge of Roscommon’s Ethan O’Reilly during Friday's Connacht minor football semi-final at Tuam Stadium. Photo: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

Roscommon 1-16

Galway          2-12

IT would be a tad simplistic to dub what was a hugely entertaining Connacht minor football semi-final as a game of two halves, given that Galway led by 11 points at one stage before Roscommon stormed back to eventually claim a remarkable victory at Tuam Stadium last Saturday.

The reality is a little more nuanced, in that Galway, on their first outing of the year, impressively carved Roscommon’s defence apart with an array of stylish attacking play for a 20-minute spell while playing with the wind at their backs. Outside of that period, though, Galway would just manage to register a solitary point from play.

Roscommon also let four decent goal chances slip through their fingers before they eventually did raise a green flag, drawing two saves while also hitting the post. Critically they hit the last three points of the half to leave a slightly more manageable eight between the sides.

During Galway’s purple patch, pacy corner forwards Eanna Monaghan and Niall Mannion both left their markers chasing shadows, as Galway reeled off nine scores without reply having understandably started quite sluggishly. Goals by Sean Bermingham and Monaghan looked to have Alan Flynn’s side in the box seat, but Roscommon showed remarkable character to claw their way back despite a second half black card that threatened to stall their comeback.

However, when Robert Heneghan’s thunderous 47th minute shot hit the roof of the net while Roscommon were still a body short, the large travelling support rose the decibel levels another notch and their team responded magnificently.

Read full coverage in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now – or you can download the digital edition from

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Corofin hit the goal trail again in crushing Monivea/Abbey




WHILE it goes without saying that everyone is hugely thankful that sporting action has resumed and we still appear on course to complete a season, it is such a pity for the time being that only a handful of supporters are allowed the privilege to watch a team of Corofin’s class in full flight as they look destined to create history on their march to an eighth senior title in a row.
On a glorious day for football last Sunday, Corofin dismantled Monivea/Abbey in emphatic fashion, playing an electric brand of football that repeatedly cut holes in their opponent’s defensive alignment. Seven goals last time out against Oughterard, there could have been more again in Tuam Stadium but for some uncharacteristically sloppy finishing to rapier-like first half moves that left Brian Mulry’s side exposed.
It didn’t help that Cillian McDaid, Monivea/Abbey’s star turn, was an absentee, or that St. Bernard’s Connacht Junior Cup quarter final was scheduled for the same time, but Monivea/Abbey should still take a small shred of comfort from the fact that they competed well at times, created 19 scoring chances, and never dropped their heads despite the lost cause.
With no Connacht or All-Ireland club championship to have to try and peak for later in the year, Corofin look poised to lay down a serious marker on how far ahead of the pack they really are. New faces like Matthew Cooley and replacement Colin Kelly, who confidently netted two second-half goals on his debut, are being given their chance, while Ronan Steede, Martin Farragher, Bernard Power, and Daithí Burke were not required on this occasion.
Throw in the fact that Kevin O’Brien chose to keep Kieran Molloy and Gary Sice in reserve until deep into the second half and you start to seriously question whether any side in the county will be able to lay a glove on them this term. Ian Burke is motoring along nicely, Micheál Lundy appears revived back in a more attacking role, while veterans like Ciarán McGrath are haring around the pitch as if they have a point to prove.
Monivea/Abbey were lively all over the pitch early on and actually created one more scoring opportunity in the opening twelve minutes (5-4) but were unfortunately wasteful when it mattered and somehow found themselves trailing by 1-2 to 0-1.
Corofin’s movement and accuracy were already sublime, with Lundy, Burke, and Cooley lining up in an I formation down the middle of the attack and Darragh Silke offering himself as a highly effective link man in transition. Jason Leonard and Dylan Canney provided width when needed while the defensive Dylan’s, Wall and McHugh, tore forward when the chances arose.
Ian Burke’s sharp turn on eight minutes left Caelom Mulry in his wake, but when a goal looked likely Burke drove just over the bar. Three minutes later the dam broke when Lundy curled a pass into Cooley in space, and he picked out McHugh on the burst who slotted to the net at his ease.
A Brian Moran free registered Monivea/Abbey’s first score shortly after, but the die had already been cast. Jason Leonard drove over a ’45 after Burke had been denied by some last gasp defending before Canney clipped over a classy score where Lundy and Burke were involved again.

Extended report will appear in this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads