Corofin footballers complete magnificent five-in-a-row

Corofin’s Martin Farragher secures possession ahead of Mountbellew-Moylough’s John Daly during Sunday's County Senior Football Championship Final at Tuam Stadium.



THE alarm siren may have sounded initially for Corofin during their slimline semi-final victory over Annaghdown, but when it rang a second time for a final call at Tuam Stadium on Sunday, the county champions sprung from their slumber with a vigour and vengeance that fairly floored the challenge of Mountbellew-Moylough.

Corofin are a serious footballing machine and when all the bits slot into place – as they did on Sunday – there aren’t many teams in the land that can live with them and Mountbellew’s best efforts fell a long way short of threatening to stall that finely tuned engine in an unexpectedly one-sided county senior final.

An impressive run-in by Mountbellew-Moylough during the closing rounds of the championship marked them out as serious title contenders, and this coupled with a paper-thin margin of victory for Corofin in their semi-final against Annaghdown, gave this decider a competitive build-up.

There was though a huge difference between the expectation and the realisation. Corofin shot out of the traps like greyhounds hell-bent on catching the hare before the first bend was turned – when they led by 0-4 to 0-0 after eight minutes, the prey was close to being landed.

Mountbellew-Moylough lacked nothing by way of effort or commitment and right to the end they kept on battling away but they had caught Corofin on one of their ‘hot days’, and very few teams across the country would have lived with Kevin O’Brien’s charges on Sunday.

A feature of Corofin’s early dominance was the accuracy of their lengthy kicked passes, with quick and accurate deliveries into the heart of the losers’ defence setting up most of their early scores.

Four early points from Ronan Steede (who turned in an excellent first half display), Michael Farragher and Justin Leonard (two well struck frees), had sent out a very clear early message in those opening exchanges of the match, at the end of which, Mountbellew were lucky to be only four behind.


Full coverage in this week’s Connacht Tribune