Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Corinthians looking to end eight year wait for Cup glory

Avatar

Published

on

Craig Hansberry has had a very impressive start to the season for Corinthians.

By John Mulligan

Galway Corinthians RFC will bid to win the Connacht Senior Cup for the first time since 2011 – and a record-equalling 34th time in total – when they face Sligo RFC at the Sportsground on Sunday in this year’s final (1.30pm) in a repeat of the 2017/18 decider.

This final has all the attributes of being a classic, with both teams having conflicting fortunes on the pitch in the league. However, it is said that the Cup is a great leveller and Corinthians need not to look too far to the 2018 final, which Sligo won 27-25 on their home patch in Strandhill.

The Senior Cup has the rather unique situation of seeing two finals in the one calendar year. Back in January, Corinthians were denied as Buccaneers won 16-14 following a contentious penalty call by the referee leading to Kieran Joyce kicking the winning points.

The irony not lost on some as the Connacht academy player had been playing with Corinthians the season previously. However, when the sides met in the semi-final of this season’s competition on October 24, Corinthians exacted revenge with an impressive 32-23 win thanks to tries from Seosamh McDonagh (2), Patrick Grehan and Simon Keller.

The sides have met already in both the Connacht and All-Ireland Leagues. When the teams met in the Connacht Senior League in September, Sligo had the upper hand winning 24-7 in Corinthian Park and topped the table giving them a straight semi-final against Galwegians.

That game took place in Crowley Park with the visitors winning 31-16 thanks to tries coming from Ryan Feehily, Philip Carter, Cal Goddard and Mark Butler, with Euan Brown kicking the extras.

Corinthians gained revenge for that defeat when they met in the Energia League in Hamilton Park on November 9, with the Galway side winning 28-17. Tries from Mark McDermott, Michael O’Reilly, Dan Trayers and Craig Hansberry gave Corinthians an important bonus point but it must be said that Sligo never gave up and scored three of their own through Matt Davey (2), from Cal Goddard.

Both teams like to play expansive rugby and it is expected that there will be scores in this one. With Corinthians looking to win their first Senior Cup since 2011 when they beat Galwegians, they will be looking to the likes of Conor Hayes at full-back with Mark McDermott and Cathal Evans in the centre; while on the wings, Michael O’Reilly and Oran McNulty will cause all sorts of problems to the Sligo back line.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

CITY TRIBUNE

Inspectors from HIQA praise management of maternity unit at University Hospital

Denise McNamara

Published

on

The gynaecology theatre at UHG.

The maternity unit at University Hospital Galway has been given a clean bill of health by inspectors from the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA).

The only ‘bone of contention’ concerned the lack of specialists ringfenced for the labour ward, where infrastructure was also found to be lacking.

The maternity unit was fully compliant with seven national standards and substantially compliant with a further three, with inspectors praising the department for having “a clearly defined and effective leadership, governance and management structure”.

“There was good oversight of the quality and safety of services by senior managers at the hospital who used multiple sources of information to identify opportunities for improvement.

“The hospital’s senior management team monitored performance data including patient outcomes, service user feedback and patient safety incidents and benchmarked its performance against other similar sized hospitals,” the report found.

Inspectors did find a limited number of areas that needed to be improved. They found there were an insufficient number of consultant anaesthesiologists at the hospital to provide a dedicated obstetric anaesthetic service, which needed to sufficiently resourced in line with national standards.

The anaesthetic service in the maternity unit was led by a consultant anaesthesiologist with specialist training in obstetric anaesthesia.

“However, the hospital did not have a designated obstetric anaesthetic service in line with national standards. The anaesthetic service was largely staffed by anaesthesiologists from the general anaesthesiology rota at the hospital.”

While an audit had found that times for an anaesthesiologist to attend the Maternity Unit were “timely”, inspectors had been informed that the anaesthetic team was not always informed about the level of urgency when contacted to attend for an emergency caesarean section.

“This information is required by the anaesthetic team so that they can prioritise their workload. The absence of this is of concern and should be addressed by the hospital,” the report states.

Hospital management has submitted business plans to recruit additional consultant anaesthesiologists so that a 24-hour dedicated obstetric anaesthesiology service could be provided. This had yet to be progressed. They had recently applied to the HSE for funding for two additional consultant anaesthesiologists.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Nuns seek inspiration on proposal for new convent

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

The existing Presentation Convent, which was built in the mid-18th century and operated as a military barracks and fever hospital.

The Presentation Sisters have been told that the site for their proposed new city centre convent is not big enough, as there are already plans for the new Our Lady’s College building there.

Earlier this year, the Sisters decided that upgrade works to the existing building would be “very invasive”.

The Sisters subsequently sought permission to construct a two-storey building with 14 bedrooms, an oratory, reception, living and dining areas, utility rooms and administrator’s apartment on the site at Presentation Road.

The plans also involve moving the existing vehicular entrance and the demolition of the extension and outbuildings at the disused national school building, which is a protected structure, and to convert the building into two residential units.

“This application is primarily for a new convent building for the Sisters within the boundaries of the current premises. It will facilitate a residency to current standards with a building suitable to meet their needs in a manner that is compliant with current building regulations.

“This arose as an alternative following an examination and feasibility of interventions and upgrades to the old convent building. Such works would be very invasive to the old building. As such, this proposal does not involve any intensification of use or occupancy of the site.

“The siting of the building is selected to minimise impacts on the gardens. The application also includes for the renovation and alterations to the derelict national school, to bring it into residential use. This will be ancillary to the use of the convent and not other residential use,” the application reads.

According to an architectural heritage assessment report, the Presentation Sisters have occupied the existing convent building since 1819. It was built in the mid-18th century and had previously operated as a charter school, military barracks and fever hospital.

“The overall works will bring it back into a sustainable use which prevents dereliction and will aid its longevity into the future,” the application reads.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Pub and GAA club visits on the agenda for Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

Two senior members of the British Royal Family are to visit Galway next month – with preparations already underway to welcome the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to the city in March.

Gardaí issued notice yesterday (Thursday) morning that a number of streets in the city are to be closed on March 5. Coinciding with the already announced visit of ‘Kate and Wills’ to Ireland, this caused widespread speculation that the royal pair would cross the Shannon as part of their visit.

While Gardaí and Galway City Council refused to confirm or deny the speculation yesterday, the Galway City Tribune understands that Kate and William will spend the day in Galway, and will visit Tigh Chóilí on Mainguard Street – as well as calling in on Salthill-Knocknacarra GAA club.

The Garda notice issued yesterday alerts locals that Williamsgate Street, William Street, Shop Street, High Street, Mainguard Street and possibly Abbeygate Street will all be closed between 6am and 2pm on March 5 – making way for the large security operation required for a royal visit.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending