Controversial penalty decision sinks a battling Mervue United

Date Published: 09-May-2011

Waterford Utd 1

Mervue United 0

MERVUE United suffered their fifth defeat of the campaign as they lost out narrowly to Waterford Utd at the RSC in the Airtricity First Division last Friday night.

A hotly disputed second half penalty gave the home side all three points as Mervue finished the game with ten men. Conor Sinnott grabbed the only goal of the match from the penalty spot after Eric Browne was adjudged to have fouled Keith Quinn, with Browne receiving a straight red.

Johnny Glynn’s side started brightly and should have taken a third minute lead when Mike Tierney played in Rory Gaffney, but the striker saw his low effort well saved by Waterford keeper Kevin Burns at his near post.

Waterford’s David Breen headed the home side’s first chance over five minutes later and the same player came close on 23 minutes when he met a Gary Dunphy cross from the right but fired over the crossbar once again.

Three minutes later and the home side were off target again as Gary Keane saw his flicked header clear Ger Hanley’s crossbar from a Keith Quinn delivery. Mervue’s John Mountney then had a good chance but he pulled his shot wide.

Breen then headed another effort over following a flowing Waterford move involving Dunphy, Dempsey and Sinnott on the stroke of half time.

On the resumption, Kevin Crehan found himself in space at the back post but he could only drill his effort into the side netting, while Gaffney pulled another effort wide following a good run on 53 minutes.

The only goal of the game arrived 11 minutes into the half, and it was one which left the visitors a little aggrieved. Quinn raced into the box and as he was about to shoot, Eric Browne made what looked like a saving tackle to prevent the winger from scoring, but referee Keith Callanan saw it differently and awarded a penalty and showed the defender a straight red. Sinnott made no mistake from the spot, sending Hanley the wrong way.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.