Contract for Gort to Tuam motorway to be signed this week
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The contract for the new M17/M18 motorway between Gort and Tuam will be signed this week.
Minister of State and Galway East TD Ciaran Cannon has confirmed that negotiations are complete, and the contract signing signals the beginning of what he calls a ‘vital project.
Direct Route, the contracting consortium for the new motorway, includes three Irish companies- Roadbridge, John Sisk, and Lagan Construction.
The Department of Public Expenditure made a commitment of 20 million euro last year as an initial deposit to get negotiations underway.
Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has confirmed that there will be no tolls on the route, which will take up to three years to complete and should open to traffic in 2017.
Minister Cannon says the Public Private Partnership project will make the West an even more attractive location for investment and job creation.
Farrell says eviction ban lift will be “judged harshest” of Government’s bad housing policies
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway West TD Mairead Farrell claims the lifting of the eviction ban will be judged the harshest of all the Government’s bad housing policies.
She told the Dáil it stands head and shoulders above all the terrible housing decisions this and the previous Government have made over the past decade.
She told Housing Minister Daragh O’ Brien that the real sticking point is that this decision was made in the full knowledge of the chaos it will cause.
258 people now listed as homeless across Galway
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The number of homeless people in emergency accommodation has increased by almost 24 per cent in a year.
There are now almost 11,800 people homeless, including 258 people in County Galway.
According to the latest figures from the Department of Housing 11,742 people, including 3,373 children, now find themselves homeless.
It’s an increase of almost 24 per cent on the same month for last year.
The data, for the week of February 20th-26th, show there were 8,369 adults in emergency accommodation, an increase of 23 per cent on the figure for February last year.
In Dublin, there are 8,588 people, including 2,576 children, living in homelessness.
Meanwhile this month’s figures, when compared to January, remain relatively unchanged.
Man missing from Loughrea located safe and well
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A man missing from Loughrea since earlier this week has been found safe and well.
25 year old Shane Walsh was last seen in Portumna on Wednesday 29th March, prompting a Garda appeal.
Gardaí have now confirmed he’s been located safe and well.