Galway Bay fm newsroom – Members of the public have until 4pm tomorrow to make a submission on the future of the Tuam mother and baby home site. (Friday 16/3)
The county council is conducting an independent consultation process on behalf of the Department of Children and Youth Affairs.
It comes a year after the announcement that a substantial amount of human remains had been discovered at the site.
The process invites the public to choose their preferred option from the five possible options for the future of the site, as laid out by an expert technical group.
The deadline for submissions to the county council is 4pm tomorrow.
Gardai investigating vandalism to road signs in Claran and Headford
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Gardai are investigating significant damage caused to road signs in the Claran and Headford areas over the weekend.
That’s according to Councillor Andrew Reddington, who says the damage was clearly caused by the front loader of a tractor.
He claims road signs in a number of locations have been damaged, buckled and even completely uprooted in some cases.
Fine Gael Councillor Reddington has an appeal to the parents of young people who are driving around late at night with tractors..
To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news….
Portiuncula Hospital records first confirmed case of COVID-19 in two weeks
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Portiuncula Hospital Ballinasloe has recorded its first confirmed case of COVID-19 in two weeks.
According to the latest HSE figures, there’s just one coronavirus patient being treated at the east Galway facility this lunchtime.
A further four COVID-19 patients are attending UHG today, while there are an additional five hospital patients awaiting coronavirus test results at the city’s main hospital.
Nationwide there are 292 confirmed cases of the virus in Irish hospitals.
Meanwhile, 31 patients are attending ICU while 20 of these patients are being treated on ventilators.
Consortium involving GMIT to apply for Technological University status before year end
Galway Bay fm newsroom – An application for technological university status is expected from GMIT, Sligo and Letterkenny, by the end of the year.
Last month, €5.7 million was allocated to the Connacht Ulster Alliance consortium in a bid to assist with the application for the designation.
It comes as the Higher Education Minister Simon Harris has announced Athlone and Limerick institutes of technology are applying for TU status today.
Minister of State for Further Education Niall Collins says it’ll provide many educational opportunities for students in the region.