Galway Bay fm newsroom – A Galway West TD says habitat mapping is taking place this Summer in relation to the proposed outer city bypass.
Fine Gael’s Seán Kyne says the county council is also expected to employ a consultant this October to verify route selections.
This is part of the process to progress the city bypass through the IROPI process, which is for projects with an over-riding public interest.
Earlier this week, the Supreme Court overturned the planning permission for the bypass and awarded costs to environmentalist Peter Sweetman.
He took the case arguing that the planning was in breach of the Habitats Directive, and argues the plan doesn’t meet IROPI requirements either.
Deputy Sean Kyne says he doesn’t believe this is the case.
Galway to get one of country’s first Covid-19 mass vaccination centres
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Three mass Covid vaccination centres will be in operation from tomorrow in Dublin, Galway and Portlaoise.
That’s according to Health Minister Stephen Donnelly, who has revealed the information in a tweet this afternoon.
Galway Bay fm news is currently awaiting confirmation from the HSE as to the location of the Galway centre.
It’ll be used to vaccinate GP teams using the first supply of the Moderna vaccine.
It comes after the HSE announced the period between the first and second doses of the Pfizer vaccine is being extended from 21 to 28 days.
That will take effect for those receiving the jab for the first time from Monday and is aimed at vaccinating more people as new supplies arrive.
Meanwhile, it’s emerged Pfizer Bio-N-Tech may be slowing down production of its Covid-19 vaccine.
Kevin Connolly is former chair of the National Immunisation Advisory Committee.
He says the Pfizer vaccine is as effective when the second dose is added after 28 days…
To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news….
Public urged to stay away from Blackrock diving tower in Salthill
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The public is being urged to ‘stay away’ from Blackrock diving tower in Salthill and respect the fact that the amenity is closed.
Councillor Clodagh Higgins says despite the efforts of the city council and Gardai to fence off the area, considerable numbers of people continue to use the tower.
She claims that in some cases, people are pushing the fences aside to gain entry.
Councillor Higgins feels it’s not acceptable for people to ignore efforts by authorities to keep the public safe during a critical stage of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
She has appealed for people to let common sense prevail – to hear more, tune in to Galway Bay fm news on the hour…
Local TD critical of Bord na Mona over ‘denial’ of peat heritage
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Roscommon-Galway TD Michael Fitzmaurice is criticising Bora Na Mona for failing to embrace its history and heritage.
It comes as the state body has announced that it has stopped peat harvesting indefinitely.
It means that peat briquettes will run out in 2024 – but peat moss compost is expected to run out this summer.
The development comes amid growing pressure on companies to end the use of fossil fuels and cut carbon emissions.
Independent Deputy Fitzmaurice believes that peat harvesting should be allowed to naturally ‘fizzle out’ over the coming years.
He says newer generations have little interest and he estimated there is about a decade of life left in the practice.
He also claimed instead of being proud of its heritage, Bord na Mona is acting like it has a shameful past – to hear more on this topic, tune in to Galway Bay fm news on the hour…