Galway Bay fm newsroom – The developer behind a proposal for a major supermarket development in Westside is to meet with consultants to consider his next steps following a refusal from An Bórd Pleanála.
Former Mayor of Galway Michael O’hUigínn claims the planning authority has made a series of invalid points in relation to the application.
In making its decision, An Bórd Pleanála said the 15 million euro project planned on the Seamus Quirke road ‘would detract from the vitality and viability of Galway City Centre.’
The development had also met with opposition from local residents’ groups.
Micháel O’hUigínn says the project has been pursued for almost five years now and he will take time to consider the next course of action.
New RNLI Visitor Experience opens tomorrow on Inis Mór
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Locals and tourists will be able to enjoy the new RNLI Visitor Experience on Inis Mór from Saturday 1st October.
The attraction is located in the boathall of the Aran Islands lifeboat station at Kilronan Pier, which also hosts a new shop to raise funds for the charity.
The experience will explore 175 years of the RNLI’s history, include images, milestones, awards and rescue stories.
Aran Islands RNLI Lifeboat Operations Manager, Michael Hernon, says the funds raised are vital:
Demand for action on anti-social behavior at Merlin Park Hospital
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A demand has been made for action on anti-social behavior at the gates of Merlin Park Hospital.
Raising the matter at a meeting of the Health Forum West this week, Councillor Declan McDonnell said the old morgue is being used as a congegrating ground.
He said the issue is going on years – but there’s been little done – including an alleged lack of response from Gardaí.
The HSE executive accepted it has been an issue and said measures had been taken – but it will now look into further action.
Councillor McDonnell says its past time that something was done.
Minister pledges to find out “what’s happening on the ground” at Clifden Hospital
GBFM Newsroom – A minister has pledged to find out “what’s happening on the ground” at Clifden District Hospital.
The ongoing controversy over the withdrawal of services was raised in the Seanad by local Senators Sean Kyne, Pauline O Reilly and Ollie Crowe.
It follows a public meeting earlier this week attended by over 600 people in response to the abrupt cancellation of respite services.
Senator Sean Kyne said the community feels the unit is being steered towards closure – while Senator Ollie Crowe agreed it’s death by a thousand cuts.
Speaking in response, Minister Mary Butler pledged to look into the situation.