Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Health deal to create 250 new construction jobs

Published

on

Construction Worker

A successful Galway building firm is leading the construction of 14 primary health care centres across the country – with the creation of 250 new jobs in the process.
Six of the centres are in the West of Ireland, including one in Tuam which is located on the site of the old Grove Hospital.
JJ Rhatigan had its origins in Milltown but is now based in Galway city and his company is part of the €140 million scheme which will provide vital employment over the next couple of years.
Managing Director Padraig Rhatigan said that it had the potential to provide more than 250 jobs over the next couple of years. He expressed delight with the contract.
“It is a great boost for the company because the last few years have been difficult. The target is that we will start construction before the end of the year.
“There is no doubt that it is a big contract and one that we appreciate getting. We estimate that the primary care centres in the 14 locations will be completed inside two years,” Mr Rhatigan added.
It has been confirmed that a consortium, which includes Balfour Beatty, JJ Rhatigan and Aramark, has been chosen as preferred tenders to provide 14 new primary care centres in Ireland as part of Ireland’s first healthcare Public Private Partnership (PPP) project.
The €140 million scheme, which is part of the Government’s €2.25 billion Infrastructure Stimulus Programme, will provide a network of primary care facilities integrating primary, community and continuing care and social services.

For more on this story, see the Connacht Tribune.

CITY TRIBUNE

50 domestic abuse 999 calls to Galway Gardaí cancelled

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Galway’s Garda Chief has committed to a ‘root and branch investigation’ after an internal review unearthed over 50 domestic abuse calls that were cancelled by local Gardaí.

An internal Garda inquiry has revealed that nationally, members of the force cancelled between 3,000 and 4,000 domestic abuse-related ‘999’ calls between 2019 and 2020.

At a meeting of the City Joint Policing Committee (JPC) on Monday, Chief Superintendent Tom Curley told members that the inquiry found 53 such calls in the Galway Division.

He said he had been tasked by Garda Commissioner Drew Harris to sift through the calls and follow up on how they were handled by Gardaí.

“In relation to domestic incidents where calls were cancelled, I have 53 from my division. I am carrying out a root and branch investigation and perhaps at the next JPC meeting, I will be able to give an update of the findings.

“I have only listened to a number of the calls at the moment and I’d rather be in possession of the full facts before commenting any further,” said Chief Supt Curley.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Councillor claims dealers are using jet skis to bring drugs to Galway

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Drugs are being delivered into the city by jet skis coming down the Corrib, a meeting of the city’s Joint Policing Committee (JPC) heard on Monday.

Cllr Frank Fahy (FG) said there had been reports of dealers using jet skis to come down the river from areas around Headford and Cong, dropping deliveries in the city without fear of detection.

“Do we have a Garda water unit in Galway City to deal with that,” asked Cllr Fahy.

The Chief Superintendent, Tom Curley, said he was not aware of the practice but if anyone had any information on these deliveries, they should bring it to Gardaí.

“We haven’t got a water unit in the city but there is one in Athlone that is available to us any day of the week,” he added.

This came as the JPC was informed that drugs seizures have soared in the city, with year-on-year figures for detection of dealing up 84% in the first five months of 2021.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Walk-in Covid test facility to open in city centre next week

Published

on

Galway City Tribune – A new walk-in Covid testing centre will open in the old tourist office off Forster Street next Tuesday.

The centre will replace the one at NUIG, where students were being encouraged to get tested without an appointment if they showed symptoms or were close contacts of somebody who tested positive.

It will be open seven days a week from 10am to 5pm.

The new location will be a more convenient base for people visiting the city to check for the virus over the coming weeks as the tourist season ramps up.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Trending