Date Published: 28-Mar-2011
CONNACHT lost only their second game in eight Magners League outings on Saturday, but the defeat and the performance in their clash away to Aironi will be a concern to all as they head into the final four games of the season looking to secure a highest ever finish.
Aironi ended a 17 game wait for a League victory in fine style, playing an expansive and attacking running game against their visitors and inflicting what was Connacht’s third defeat on Italian soil this season, adding to the Challenge Cup defeat to Prato and the League loss to Treviso.
The failure to garner even a bonus point will rankle but they will also be aware that the performance just wasn’t up to the standard needed to take points on their travels – something they have mastered pretty well this season.
Wingers Kaine Robertson and Danwel Demas both scored their first tries in the competition as the home side adopted a strong running game that cause Connacht trouble. The third try came from South African flanker Gareth Krause who crossed for his second of the campaign.
Connacht’s try came from Ray Ofisa and while the return from long term injury of captain John Muldoon, in the closing stages is a bonus, the overall feeling will be somewhat gloomy this week.
The game was played in Viadana where the franchise is based now and, in a town with a rich rugby tradition, Aironi seized the initiative on a warm Saturday afternoon and early pressure yielded a seventh minute try for Rowland Phillips’ men. Robertson put boot to ball after a stray pass from Gavin Duffy and dotted down for Tito Tebaldi to convert.
Connacht settled and Ian Keatley replied with an 11th minute penalty, before Tebaldi drew a penalty attempt across the posts five minutes later. However the lead was up to 14-3 not long after when Demas kicked ahead along the line and Krause touched down for Aironi’s second converted try, with Brian Tuohy caught out by the bounce of the ball.
For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.
Visiting restrictions lifted at UHG following vomiting bug outbreak
Date Published: 08-May-2013
Visiting restrictions have been lifted at University Hospital Galway following an outbreak of the winter vomiting virus.
The restrictions had been in place on impacted wards since April 22nd.
Ann Cosgrove, General Manager at Galway University Hospitals says visiting restrictions are now being lifted as the outbreak is considered to be over.
However she warns that there are signs that the Winter Vomiting Virus is still active in the community.
Two men before courts over county grow houses
Date Published: 10-May-2013
Two Asian men have appeared in court for sentence in connection with the discovery of cannabis "grow houses" in Tuam and Loughrea last year.
They appeared before Galway Circuit court.
Vietnamese national, 48 year old Hai Fam pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Court to the possession and cultivation of 189 cannabis plants worth €151,000 at a dormer bungalow at Raheen Oughter, Loughrea on August 28 last year.
In a separate case, Malaysian national, 34 year old Lim Chun Wan, pleaded guilty to the cultivation of 360 cannabis plants worth €288,000 at another rurally located house at Riverview, Corbally, Tuam on June 2 last year.
Judge Rory McCabe said an appropriate sentence in Hai Fam’s case was five years.
He put a stay on the order until next Wednesday to give the accused time to prove his travel arrangements.
He sentenced Lim Chun Wan to seven years in prison, given the greater value of plants found in his care.
He directed the remainder of the men’s sentences be suspended on their leaving this jurisdiction and warned them that if they ever returned to Ireland they would serve the balance of their sentence.
City arthouse cinema granted 200 thousand euro
Date Published: 14-May-2013
Galway City Council has agreed to provide 200 thousand euro in funding to the Art House cinema project.
It’s being termed as a final allocation, to be donated over four years, and is subject to the project securing further finance from the Western Development Commission.
The decision was made at last evening’s city council meeting where representatives of Solas explained how they are attempting to bridge a shortfall in funding to bring the building to completion.
The City Council acquired the site for the Art House Cinema on Merchants Road at a cost of 1.8 million euro, and donated it by way of long term lease.
Construction has been plagued with difficulties, however it’s now hoped the building will be completed this Autumn, and could be open by early 2014.