Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Concerns over vandalism at Doughiska Community Garden

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Residents in Doughiska are being asked to remain vigilant following vandalism at Doughiska Community Garden.

The vandalism in recent weeks includes damage to furnishings, flower beds and art works.

Councillor Alan Cheevers says it’s incredibly upsetting for volunteers who put so much of their time into the community space.

He’s asking local residents to remain vigilant and to report any suspicion behavior or vandalism they may encounter to Gardai.

Councillor Cheevers says additional measures like CCTV should be considered to ensure there aren’t any repeats..

To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news…

Breaking News

Galway Labour councillor urges people to engage in new Labour survey

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay FM Newsroom – Labour have launched a survey on the future of towns and villages to hear what people think needs to be done to rescue the main streets and save their local towns and villages.

Called the towns and villages survey, the public are asked a number of questions to gauge their feelings about where they live and if they are satisfied with the services that are available to them at this time.

Councillor Niall McNelis is urging the people of Galway City and County to engage with the survey on the future of towns and villages in the city and county to chart a way forward to restoring and improving vital local urban centres. 

Cllr McNelis said:

“Between the closure of bank branches, loss of retail and the move to online services, the future of our towns and villages has never been more at risk. The pandemic has shown the importance of local services but also accelerated the move online endangering more shops. 

“The Labour Party is carrying out a major national survey to hear what the people think needs to be done to rescue our main streets and save our towns and villages.

“We can’t continue to lose commercial services, banks, post offices, shops and pubs and expect our urban centres to thrive. We need a major rethink about what we can do to save our town.

“Just last week the government launched another plan to save rural Ireland but we’ve seen it all before. 

“With the Covid-19 pandemic there have been radical changes in the way people live and work. So many more people are working at home, and less are commuting. For example, there is so much potential for remote working hubs in some of the many empty buildings left behind by bank branches. 

“The pandemic has also reminded us how important our local shops and amenities are for providing us with the products and services we need. The loss of pubs and restaurants reminds us of how important these are as social settings.

“I would ask the people of Galway County in villages and towns such as Clifden, Oughterard, Moycullen, Spiddal, Barna, Oranmore, Clare Galway and Headford to engage with the survey and share with us their views of what we can do too.”

Continue Reading

Breaking News

303 new cases of Covid-19 reported with 2 further deaths – No figures for Galway

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay FM Newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 2 additional deaths related to COVID-19.

1 of these deaths occurred in March, and 1 occurred in April.

There has been a total of 4,785 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.

As of midnight, Saturday 10th April, the HPSC has been notified of 303 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

There has now been a total of 240,945* confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.

Of the cases notified today:

  • 167 are men / 135 are women
  • 75% are under 45 years of age
  • The median age is 32 years old

As of 8am today, 213 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 53 are in ICU. 7 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours.

As of April 8th 2021, 1,045,919 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in Ireland:

  • 735,997 people have received their first dose
  • 309,922 people have received their second dose

Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn, Department of Health, said: “There are many reasons for hope as we head into a new week;

  1. This is the lowest number of daily cases reported since mid December. People’s efforts continue to make a real difference; by keeping our social contacts low we are making it much harder for COVID-19 to spread
  2. This morning we had the lowest number of people newly hospitalised with COVID-19 since the end of November
  3. Last week the millionth vaccine was given and this week should see a step-change in the number of doses administered
  4. All of our children are going back to school tomorrow
  5. From tomorrow we can travel within our county.

“If we can maintain this progress, vaccines and the basic public health measures with which we are all so familiar are our way out of this pandemic. In the meantime;

  1. Please continue to work from home where possible. Please do not take our children returning to school tomorrow as a signal to return to the workplace
  2. Avoid mixing indoors with people from other households
  3. Even if meeting outdoors please watch your distance and only meet up with people from one other household at a time
  4. If you have any symptoms of COVID-19 isolate and contact your GP to arrange a free test
  5. Remember you are not properly protected until 2 weeks after your second COVID-19 vaccination.”

The COVID-19 Dashboard provides up-to-date information on the key indicators of COVID-19 in the community including daily data on Ireland’s COVID-19 Vaccination Programme.

*Validation of data at the HPSC has resulted in the denotification of 1 confirmed case. The figure of 240,945 confirmed cases reflects this.

  • The 5-day moving average is 410
Continue Reading

Breaking News

Contractor identified for major extension at Craughwell National School

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay FM Newsroom – A contractor has been identified for the planned major extension of Craughwell National School.

Galway East TD Ciaran Cannon has received confirmation that the OPW will shortly submit details of the contractor to the Department of Education for final approval.

It’s understood this will clear the way for work to begin on the project in the third quarter of this year.

The re-development will involve the construction of a new two-storey, eight-classroom extension.

Meanwhile, the existing school building will also undergo a full refurbishment.

Deputy Cannon says the project will be transformative for the school which has seen a huge increase in enrollment over the last decade:

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending