Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Compensation deal set to end Quirke Road crux

Published

on

Date Published: 26-May-2011

BY FRANK FARRAGHER

A LEGAL crux that has arisen over recent weeks between the City Council and the private owner of lands along the route of the Seamus Quirke Road revamp project, now looks likely to be resolved over the next few days, the Galway City Tribune has learned.

Negotiations are at an ‘advanced stage’ between the City Council and the Dun Arus Management Company – the owners of the land at the centre of the legal wrangle.

A compensation figure – believed to be in the €60,000 to €80,000 region – is close to being agreed between the parties over the portion of land in question, at the front of the Dúnárás apartment complex near Fort Lorenzo roundabout.

In the past week, a sign has been placed on the property in front of the apartments that the Council ‘moved in on’, saying ‘private property, no entry’.

The City Council are adamant a verbal agreement had been reached between them and the owners of the property, pending legal formalisation of the arrangement.

However, the owners of the land sought a six figure compensation amount from the City Council when the contractors on the project moved in on the lands a number of weeks back, before the legal agreement had been signed off upon.

The Galway City Tribune learned last evening that a compromise is now close to being reached between the two parties, involving a compensation payment.

No work has taken place on this section of the road revamp over recent weeks and there have been strong exchanges between some councillors and the City Council over the manner in which the transaction was handled.

A City Council spokesman however said yesterday that no deal had yet been done but that discussions were ongoing. “We are now very hopeful that agreement on this issue can be reached very soon,” said the spokesman.

Read more in today’s Galway City Tribune

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending