Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Archive News

Clinical Mervue



Date Published: 22-May-2012

 MERVUE United secured their second home win of the season as they comfortably saw off third placed Wexford Youths in convincing fashion at Fahy’s Field on Friday night.

Johnny Glynn made six changes to the side which lost to Athlone last week as he was able to field a strong side which saw the return of last season’s top scorer, Tom King, to the starting XI for the first time following a 10 month layoff, as the home side produced an excellent display to secure back-to-back 3-0 home wins, having turned over Finn Harps on April 27.

It should have been a dream return for King after just two minutes when Jason Molloy picked him out at the back post, but he headed over from eight yards out.

Mervue passed up another great chance on 23 minutes after Alan Murphy and King swapped a number of passes, the winger picked out an unmarked Pat Hoban in front of goals but the striker blasted the opportunity high and over Graham Doyle’s crossbar.

With the visitors struggling to cope with both Molloy and King on the wings, and Murphy and Hoban proving a handful up front, the home side broke the deadlock two minutes before the break.

Molloy picked up a loose ball and advanced towards the Wexford box before unleashing a cracking curling effort that gave Doyle no chance as the ball flew into the corner for a deserved half-time lead.

Wexford’s Eric Molloy headed narrowly over from a Danny Furlong corner just six minutes after the re-start, while Doyle saved well from a low drive from Murphy after Molloy had rolled a free-kick to the striker on 56 minutes.

Ronan Forde did very well pushing away a Tom Elmes close range effort following a scramble in the Mervue Utd box from another Furlong corner before the home side doubled their advantage.

King won the ball back on the right and fed Hoban who picked out Murphy in the box and he made no mistake, heading his first of the game past Doyle on 65 minutes for 2-0.

Mervue continued to force the game and more good play five minutes later created another good opportunity when Hoban played a lovely ball to Molloy at the back post and the winger headed the ball back across the goals to Hoban who drove his effort past Doyle but into the side netting.

Another great chance was spurned with nine minutes remaining when Murphy picked out the inrushing Molloy, but he headed his effort over Doyle’s crossbar.

Mervue finally did add that third goal when Murphy doubled his tally for the evening as he finished off a Molloy cross from the right with a left foot strike past a hapless Doyle on 87 minutes.

A minute later and Doyle prevented Molloy also doubling his tally as the visiting keeper got down well to save the winger’s low left foot strike from Marc Ludden’s long

throw. Sub Stephen Walsh almost made it four on the stroke of full time as he headed another cross from the right just past Doyle’s upright.

Galway in Days Gone By

The way we were – Protecting archives of our past



A photo of Galway city centre from the county council's archives

People’s living conditions less than 100 years ago were frightening. We have come a long way. We talk about water charges today, but back then the local District Councils were erecting pumps for local communities and the lovely town of Mountbellew, according to Council minutes, had open sewers,” says Galway County Council archivist Patria McWalter.

Patria believes we “need to take pride in our history, and we should take the same pride in our historical records as we do in our built heritage”. When you see the wealth of material in her care, this belief makes sense.

She is in charge of caring for the rich collection of administrative records owned by Galway County Council and says “these records are as much part of our history as the Rock of Cashel is. They document our lives and our ancestors’ lives. And nobody can plan for the future unless you learn from the past, what worked and what didn’t”.

Archivists and librarians are often unfairly regarded as being dry, academic types, but that’s certainly not true of Patria. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she turns the pages of several minute books from Galway’s Rural District Councils, all of them at least 100 years old.

Part of her role involved cataloguing all the records of the Councils – Ballinasloe, Clifden, Galway, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Portumna and Tuam. These records mostly consisted of minutes of various meetings.

When she was cataloguing them she realised their worth to local historians and researchers, so she decided to compile a guide to their content. The result is For the Record: The Archives of Galway’s Rural District Councils, which will be a valuable asset to anybody with an interest in history.

Many representatives on these Councils were local personalities and several were arrested during the political upheaval of the era, she explains.

And, ushering in a new era in history, women were allowed to sit on these Rural District Councils – at the time they were not allowed to sit on County Councils.

All of this information is included in Patria’s introductory essay to the attractively produced A4 size guide, which gives a glimpse into how these Rural Councils operated and the way political thinking changed in Ireland during a short 26-year period. In the early 1900s, these Councils supported Home Rule, but by 1920, they were calling for full independence and refusing to recognise the British administration.

“I love the tone,” says Patria of the minutes from meetings. “The language was very emotive.”

That was certainly true of the Gort Rural District Council. At a meeting in 1907, following riots in Dublin at the premiere of JM Synge’s play, The Playboy of the Western World the councillors’ response was vehement. They recorded their decision to “protest most emphatically against the libellous comedy, The Playboy of the Western World, that was belched forth during the past week in the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, under the fostering care of Lady Gregory and Mr Yeats. We congratulate the good people of Dublin in howling down the gross buffoonery and immoral suggestions that are scattered throughout this scandalous performance.


For more from the archives see this week’s Tribunes here

Continue Reading

Archive News

Real Galway flavour to intermediate club hurling battle in Birr



Date Published: 23-Jan-2013


Continue Reading

Archive News

Athenry fail to take chances as they bow out of Junior Cup



Date Published: 29-Jan-2013

Athenry FC 1

Kilbarrack United 2

(After extra time)

For the second year in succession Athenry were done in extra time in the FAI Junior Cup as last season’s beaten finalist’s came from behind to snatch an excellent game in Moanbawn on Sunday afternoon.

On a heavy pitch that was only playable following extensive groundwork by club officials all morning, the home side were by far the better side in the opening half, but failed to take advantage of a number of opportunities that came their way.

An Alan O’Donovan penalty gave them a merited advantage just after the restart, but thereafter were on the back foot as Kilbarrack took over, but for all their pressing, the home rearguard were dealing comfortably with their forays.

However they were struck a body blow just six minutes from time, as big striker Keith Kirwan was left all alone at the far post to head the equaliser and from that point on the Dubliners were the better side.

They started off the extra time in the ascendancy and enjoying all the momentum before striking for a good winning goal on 104 minutes. A strong bench allowed them to make some necessary changes and it was not a facility that was available to Athenry manager Gabriel Glavin.

With Gary Forde and Gary Delaney out through suspension following their sending off against OLBC in the previous round, and Seamie Crowe injured, it left their bench rather threadbare with just a number of young squad players available.

Playing with the aid of the slight incline and any wind advantage going, the home side had a Connor Cannon effort on target in the opening minute, while John Meleady was just over with a flick at the other end.

Meleady then tested Andrew Walsh who saved comfortably, before the goalkeeper pulled off a brilliant double save on 14 minutes.

Firstly he went full length to push away a Meleady shot and was then back on his feet to parry David Jackson’s close-range rebound.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads