Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

CITY MURDER TRIAL HEARS EVIDENCE OF PHONE CALLS BETWEEN THE ACCUSED AND THE VICTIM

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 24-Jan-2013

A jury has heard that the woman who denies murdering her former lover by stabbing him eighteen times with a kitchen knife, had received 37 phone calls from him in the hours preceding his death.

31 year old Maura Thornton, a native of Inverin, Connemara, denies the murder of 59 year old US national, Kevin Joyce at a rented apartment at 183, Upper Salthill , on Sunday, July 31, 2011.

The Central Criminal Court sitting in Galway heard that Maura Thornton had answered six of the 37 calls and the remainder had gone to her voice mail.

Detective Peter Conlon said the accused had received 120 phone calls in 24 hours and she had made 55 calls on her phone during the same period.

He said Joyce had also phoned Thornton’s mother’s phone nine times that Sunday afternoon. The last call was recorded 8.40p.m an hour and a half before he died.

Det. Sgt. Tom Molloy gave evidence about a series of public order type incidents involving Thornton and Joyce when their relationship ended earlier that summer.

While Joyce had caused disturbances around the city while the accused was in the company of other men, no formal complaint had ever been made to Gardai about him.

Blaise O’Carroll, defending, said on the day before Mr Joyce died he had damaged a kitchen window in his client’s apartment and had taken €54 from the windowsill.

Thornton was going to make a complaint to Gardai the following Monday, but was overtaken by the events on Sunday night.

Closing the prosecution case today, Mr Greene said there was a thread running through the trial that was suggestive of intoxication on both sides.

The trial continues before Mr Justice Barry White and is expected to conclude tomorrow.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending