Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

City muggers jailed for robbing German student

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Two teenage muggers who robbed a German woman in the city have each been sentenced to three years in prison with the final two years suspended.
19 year old Michael Mongan, of 5 Cois na Coille, Ballybane, and 19 year-old Owen Mongan, of 167 Ballinfoyle Park, Headford Road, appeared before Galway Circuit Criminal Court.
They had pleaded guilty to robbing the 26-year-old of her handbag, mobile phone and €40 cash on October 26th last year at Headford Road.
Garda Pat Foley told the sentence hearing that the victim, an Erasmus student, was walking home with two German friends when they were accosted by a gang of youths near Ballinfoyle Church.
A girl, who was with the gang, grabbed the victim by the hair and pulled her to the ground, assaulted her and grabbed her handbag.
When the victim’s two friends tried to help her, both accused grabbed them and held them while the robbery of their friend took place.
Both of the Mongans were arrested a short time later and the €40 was found on Owen Mongan.
The victim, who has since returned to Germany, said in a statement that she never felt secure again while living in Ireland.
Both accused brought €500 to court to give to the victim.
Judge Rory McCabe said this was disgusting behaviour and both of them had to share the blame for this cowardly attack on visitors to this country.
The judge said the appropriate sentence was three years with the final two years suspended for two years.

Breaking News

Non-urgent elective surgeries cancelled at UHG as overcrowding continues

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Some non-urgent elective surgeries are being cancelled at UHG in a bid to tackle severe overcrowding at the city hospital.

It follows the issuing of a warning from the Saolta Hospital Group that the emergency department is extremely busy and there is ongoing pressure on bed availability.

General Manager at UHG, Chris Kane, says over 500 people presented at the hospital on Monday and Tuesday.

She says the overcrowding situation is very serious, particularly in relation to the ED, the Surgical Unit and the Acute Medical Assessment Unit.

Members of the public are urged to only attend the hospital in the case of emergency, and contact their GP or out-of-hours service if their health problem is not urgent.

Saolta is also reminding the public that the Injury Unit at Roscommon University Hospital is open from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, to treat adults and children over 5.

Speaking to Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks, Chris Kane said the current level of patients presenting is extremely high and “unusual” for this time of year.

She also noted there’s also been a rise in patients being treated for Covid-19, including in the ICU.

To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Walk-in vaccination centres to open at Ballybrit and Clifden this weekend

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Walk-in vaccination centres are to be in operation in Ballybrit and Clifden from this weekend.

The HSE has revealed the details of the locations of all the walk-in vaccination centres on their website.

The Clifden satellite vaccination base will be open for walk-ins at Clifden Community School and the Galway Racecourse base will also take walk-ins.

A number will open nationwide this weekend for those over the age of 16.

It comes as 70% of the adult population is now fully vaccinated against Covid 19 and 85 per cent have received their first dose.

Health Minister, Stephen Donnelly, says those attending do not need an appointment.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Continued drop in number of Galway PUP claimants

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Over 500 less Galway claimants received the pandemic unemployment payment this week.

The number of people on the State support nationally has dropped below 200,000 for the first time.

192 thousand people are due to get it this week – the lowest number since it was introduced in March 2020.

10,159 people will receive the payment in Galway.

Economics lecturer in UCC, Seamus Coffey, says the economy is recovering well.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending