Galway Bay fm newsroom – A father of six, who robbed his neighbour’s house, putting their terrified 14-year-old son on his knees and threatening to kill him, has been sentenced to four years in prison with the final year suspended.
40-year-old Martin Sweeney, with addresses at 175 Castlepark, Ballybane, and more recently at Clareview Park, Ballybane, appeared before Galway Circuit Criminal Court.
He pleaded guilty to the robbery of a cash box containing €30 from a neighbour’s house on November 20th, 2009, and to using force to commit the theft.
In a victim impact statement read out in court, the young victim said he had just come in from school and was alone in the house watching television and eating sweets when he heard a noise in the kitchen.
He was then confronted by two masked men.
The accused, who was very aggressive, grabbed him and pushed him to his knees.
He held what the boy thought was a gun to the back of his head and threatened to kill him.
In actual fact, Sweeney had poked his finger into the back of the boy’s head, making him believe it was a gun.
The boy said he was trembling with fear and thought he was going to die.
The men left with a box containing €30 and the boy contacted his parents.
Sweeney’s car was used to commit the crime and he was arrested.
After the incident, the now 19-year old victim, suffered a breakdown and could not go to school for a month.
His grades went down hill and he could no longer socialise as he used to.
The court heard that the accused had two previous convictions, one for theft and another for robbery in 1998.
Defence barrister, Conal McCarthy said his client had not reoffended since this incident and his wife now kept a studious eye on him.
Sweeney apologised to the teenager in court and had brought €500 as a token of his remorse.
Imposing sentence, Judge Thomas O’Donnell said this had been a violent, premeditated robbery which had made a severe psychological impact on the young boy.
He put a stay on the execution of the custody warrant to June 9th to give Sweeney time to put arrangements in place for his absence from the family home, due to the nature of his youngest child’s medical condition.
The delay was granted on Sweeney’s undertaking to present himself at Galway Garda station at 12 noon on June 9th, from where he will be brought to Castlerea Prison to begin his sentence of four years with the final year suspended.
The post City man jailed for robbery using force against teenage boy appeared first on Galway Bay FM.
Category: Galway Bay FM News Desk
HSE Notified of 1,335 confirmed cases of Covid-19.
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – The HSE has today been notified of 1,335 confirmed cases of Covid-19.
This is an increase of 172 on yesterday’s figure.
The five-day moving average of cases stands at 1,305.
282 COVID-19 patients are in hospital this morning with the virus – a decrease of 15 in the last 24 hours.
65 Covid patients are in ICU.
The decrease in figures is also shown in figures for Galway University Hospital.
As of 8pm yesterday evening, there are 11 receiving treatment with 4 in ICU, the same as 24 hours previously.
In Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe, there are 2 receiving treatment, an increase of 1 on the day previously.
There is also 1 in ICU, also an increase of 1 on 8pm on Thursday.
The Minister for Health has announced the removal of all States from the Mandatory Hotel Quarantine list.
Six South American countries were the last nations left on the list.
Over 10,000 people entered Mandatory Hotel Quarantine – which was introduced in March.
Travellers into Ireland must still abide by the relevant travel regulations including the need for a PCR test if they’re not vaccinated.
Ballinasloe Fair Co-ordinating group officially cancel this year’s events.
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – The Ballinasloe Fair co-ordinating group have made the decision in the interest of public health and safety to officially cancel this year’s events.
The overall co-ordinating group plan to meet at the end of the year to make plans for 2022 and to celebrate this year’s anniversary.
In a statement released this afternoon, The coordinating committee said they would like to thank the local community, sponsors and all the associations involved for their ongoing commitment and support.
They added that they looked forward to welcoming all participants and visitors to Ballinasloe Fair and festival in 2022 for the 300th anniversary.
The statement concludes by saying that no parking is permitted in the Fair Green area or its environs.
Irish Independent reveals five Galway TD’s have assets over 1 million euro
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – The Irish Independent has revealed that Five Galway TD’s have assets worth over 1 Million Euro.
The Rich List, published in today’s paper, has found there’s 68 TDs with assets to the value of a million or more.
The five are, In Galway West Eamon O’Cuiv and Noel Grealish, In Galway East Sean Canney and Ciaran Cannon and in Roscommon/Galway Denis Naughten.
The newspaper’s Political Rich List, is based on a detailed examination of the value of their properties, land, businesses, shareholdings and pensions.
Independent TD Michael Lowry tops the list, with assets estimated to be worth over 7 million euro.
The project also revealed that one-quarter of the 160 TDs in the Dáil are landowners or property investors, with some renting up to four properties.