Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

City man jailed for assaults on intellectually disabled men

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A 36-year-old city man, who assaulted two intellectually disabled men and tortured one of them on Inis Mór, has been sentenced to four years in prison with 18 months suspended.

Gary Walsh, with an address at An Sean Bhaile, Doughiska, pleaded guilty to assaulting the men, who are in their early 20’s, at Cill Ronáin, Inis Mór on August 6, 2011.

The vulnerable young men are patients of the Brothers of Charity in Galway city, due to their intellectual disabilities.

Det Sgt Mick Staunton gave evidence at Galway Circuit Criminal Court that Walsh arranged to meet the men on Inis Mór.

They all met up in a wooded area at the rear of a school in Cill Ronáin where the accused began drinking.

Walsh grabbed his first victim and burnt the back of his hand with a lit cigarette.

It caused severe pain and blistering and Walsh just laughed when the victim asked him why he was doing it.

Walsh continued drinking and blamed the other young victim present when he stumbled against a tree and tore his shirt.

He punched this victim repeatedly in the face and kicked him repeatedly when he fell to the ground.

The victim could not get get up for some time due to his injuries but after a time the men walked to the Garda Station.

Gardaí took this victim to the island doctor, but due to the severity of his injuries, he had to be transferred by Lifeboat to the mainland and by ambulance from there to hospital.

Prosecuting barrister, Conor Fahy, said the victims were in court accompanied by their fathers and their social worker and were still very afraid of the accused.

Defence Counsel Geri Silke said her client suffered from poor interpersonal skills and had been addicted to alcohol and prescribed medication.

She said he was now attending an addiction counsellor and receiving treatment at Cuan Mhuire.

Justice Raymond Groarke sentenced Walsh to four years in prison for what he described as “violent, gratuitous and terrifying” assaults.

The judge suspended the final 18 months of the sentence on strict conditions.

Breaking News

1,432 new cases of COVID-19 nationally; 30 deaths in the past week

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 1,432* confirmed cases of COVID-19.

As of 8am today, 272 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 63 are in ICU.

There has been a total of 5,209 deaths related to COVID-19 notified in Ireland. This includes 30 deaths newly notified in the past week (since last Wednesday).

Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said:

“We have been closely monitoring the incidence of COVID-19 and we are reassured that that the reopening of schools has not led to an increase in transmission of COVID-19 amongst school-going children or more widely across the population. This is good news for students, parents and all those involved in the education of our children. As always, we will keep disease transmission in the population under review, but given the importance of education for our children we feel that now is the right time to evolve our approach to the public health management of COVID-19 in educational settings.

“From Monday 27 September, we will change how we manage COVID-19 in our schools. Contact tracing of close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education and testing of asymptomatic close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education will no longer be necessary.

“Children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as close contacts in childcare, educational settings, special education settings or other non-household settings and who are asymptomatic will no longer be required to routinely restrict movements.

“Given the substantially higher risk of transmission in households as compared to any other setting, children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as household close contacts, will still be required to restrict movements and be tested, regardless of whether or not they have symptoms.

“Public health advice remains that any person, including children aged 12 yrs or under who displays symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should rapidly self-isolate and not attend school or to socialise until 48 hours after they are symptom free.”

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Gardai at scene of public order offence at Tuam Graveyard

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Gardaí are currently at the scene of a public order incident at Tuam Graveyard.

FYI Galway understands the incident, which involves large numbers, broke out after a funeral.

The emergency services are also at the scene, and there are unconfirmed reports of injuries.

The situation is causing long traffic delays in the area.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Foul play not suspected in discovery of body on Kinvara coastline

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Following the post mortem examination Gardai are treating the discovery of a woman’s body near the coast in Kinvara as a tragedy which rmeans foul play is not suspected

A person out walking near the shoreline made the discovery at around 11.30 yesterday morning at Doorus, north of Kinvara

Gardai say efforts to identify the deceased are ongoing this evening

A spokesperson for Gort Gardai told FYI Galway the post mortem examination concluded this afternoon and An Garda Síochána are treating the death as a tragedy

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending