Galway City Council is to apply for a €15million loan, to purchase lands for social and affordable housing schemes.
A motion to apply for the loan was passed unanimously at a meeting of Galway City Council last evening.
It’s understood one of the first projects the local authority is looking at is located on lands in Merlin Woods.
The proposed 105 dwelling scheme would consist of 80 percent affordable housing and 20 social housing – with construction expected to commence in the first quarter of next year.
That’s according to Fianna Fail City Councillor Alan Cheevers who says these types of developments are vital for inclusivity – for more, tune in to Galway Bay fm news on the hour…
Bus Éireann to introduce additional Expressway services from Galway
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Bus Éireann is to introduce extra Expressway services from Galway from tomorrow.
An additional Expressway X20 service between Galway and Dublin will serve Loughrea, Ballinasloe and Athlone.
The coach will depart Galway at 5.30pm and depart Dublin at 10.30pm between Monday and Friday.
Meanwhile, two additional Expressway 51 services on the Galway/Limerick/Cork route, serving Shannon Airport and Ennis, will run seven days a week from tomorrow.
The daily coaches will depart Galway at 7:05 and 9:05AM, and depart Cork at 12:25 and 2.25PM.
Concerns raised over social distancing in overcrowded Galway schools
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Concerns have been raised about the potential difficulties in implementing social distancing in Galway schools with overcrowded classrooms.
Figures released by the Department of education show that the average class size in Galway last year was 37 pupils, compared to the national average of 25.
Galway West TD Mairead Farrell argues that overcrowding in Galway schools has become even more serious in light of the Covid pandemic.
Deputy Farrell is calling for educational standards and safety protocols to be maintained, by drastically reducing class sizes down to the EU average of 20.
She argues classes with over 30 pupils should become a thing of the past….
To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news…..
Well known Galway restaurateur petitions local TDs over industry concerns
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A well known Galway restaurateur and Michelin star chef has contacted all of Galway’s TD to raise concerns over the new coronavirus measures announced by government this week.
JP McMahon, owner of Galway restaurants Cava, Aniar and Tartare has hit out against new regulations for bars and restaurants that follow cabinet’s decision not to proceed with phase four of reopening the country.
Under the latest guidelines, restaurants and pubs that serve food must be closed and empty of customers by 11pm.
The well known Galway chef has criticised the rules and how they apply to restaurants, saying that the requirement to be closed and empty by 11pm means they will not be able to take bookings past 9pm.
JP McMahon says it’s not fair to ‘lump’ restaurants in with the pubs – and the new rules will be devastating for many restaurants….
To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news….