Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us


City club advance after just holding off gallant late fightback from Tuam Stars

Francis Farragher



Tuam Stars' Conor Doherty is about to secure possession against Jack Larkin and Evan Wynne of Salthill/Knocknacarra during Sunday's senior foothall championship tie in Corofin.



IT mightn’t have been a classic with loads of mistakes and possession turnovers in evidence, but for all that, this Group 2 senior championship clash at Corofin on Sunday did supply a fair sprinkling of wholesome entertainment for about 500 spectators.

The narrow win for Salthill propels them into the knock-out stages of the championship while Tuam Stars find themselves in the unfamiliar role of having to play themselves out of relegation trouble over the coming weeks.

Two high-dividend golden spells for Salthill, either side of the interval break, proved crucial in getting them over the line against a Tuam side who started well and finished strongly – but many of the bits in the middle were problematic for the Stars.

Backed by the swirling and slightly wintry first half breeze, Tuam got the ideal start within the first minute when a precision side-footed pass from Conor Doherty fell perfectly into the path of Ben O’Connell who finished neatly to the net from close range.

A quickfire Gary O’Donnell point followed, as Tuam led for the first half hour of the match, with further points from Cormac McWalter and two Jimmy Murphy efforts, one of them a super-strike from near the left sideline.

As the half wore on, Salthill gradually began to dominate possession with Barry Kelly fetching some good ball around the middle of the field – points from Seán Armstrong (free), Andrew Butler, Robert Finnerty (free) and Gearóid Armstrong reduced the deficit to a goal, at 1-4 to 0-4.

Referee Noel Dempsey played a rather unexpected six-and-a-half minutes of injury-time and while this ‘extra allocation’ might have been expected to be of benefit to Tuam – given their wind advantage – the opposite turned out to be the case.

There were danger signs for Tuam even before that, when initially Robert Finnerty and then Gearóid O Leidhinn, both squandered pretty straightforward goal opportunities for Salthill in the 27th minute in the one segment of play.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and  county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.


Voice of ‘Big O’ reflects on four decades

Denise McNamara



From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The daytime voice of Big O Taxis is celebrating four decades in the role – and she has no plans to hang up her headset any time soon.

Roisin Freeney decided to seek a job after staying at home to mind her three children for over a decade. It was 1981 when she saw an advert in the Connacht Sentinel for a dispatch operator.

The native of Derry recalls that the queue for the job wound its way past Monroe’s Tavern from the taxi office on Dominick Street.

“There was a great shortage of work back then. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the line of people. My then husband who was giving me a lift in never thought I’d get the job, he was driving on past and I said, let me off.

“I got it because I worked as a telephonist in the telephone exchange in Derry. But I was terrified starting off because I hadn’t been in the work system for so long.”

Back then Big O Taxis had only 25 drivers and just a single line for the public to book a cab.

“We had an old two-way radio, you had to speak to the driver and everybody could listen in. It was easy to leave the button pressed when it shouldn’t be pressed. People heard things they shouldn’t have – that’s for sure,” laughs Roisin.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of Róisín’s story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading


Baby boom puts strain on Galway City secondary schools

Stephen Corrigan



From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A baby boom in the late 2000s has left parents of sixth class pupils in Galway City scrambling to find a secondary school place for their children next September – with over 100 children currently facing the prospect of rejection from city schools.

The Department of Education is now rushing to address the issue and confirmed to the Galway City Tribune this week that it was fully aware of increasing pressure and demand on city schools

Local councillor Martina O’Connor said there were 100 more children more than there were secondary school places for next year, and warned that this would put severe pressure on schools to increase their intake numbers.

“This will put a lot of pressure on schools because they will have been working out the number of teachers and what resources they would need in October or November last year and they could be facing a situation where they will be asked to take an additional eight or 10 students.

“There would normally be a small excess – maybe two or three – but this year, it’s over 100. There is a bigger number of children in sixth class this year and there will be the same issue for the next few years,” said the Green Party councillor.

A Department spokesperson said while there were capacity issues, factors other than numbers could be at play, adding that there were approximately 1,245 children in the city due to move onto secondary school in September.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading


GMIT warns partying students they are delaying return to campus

Enda Cunningham



From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Partying students have been told their actions have impacted GMIT’s plans to re-start practical classes on campus – and Gardaí are monitoring the city’s bus and train stations to catch those breaking the 5km travel restriction by returning home for the weekend.

College authorities said the current “extremely serious outbreak” of Covid-19 among students in Galway City was caused by a small minority who are “moving and mixing between different households”.

Following a meeting with Gardaí last week, GMIT contacted all students to clarify that because there are no ‘onsite’ classes, there should be no need to travel for educational purposes.

“The Gardaí have notified us that there will be checks at the bus and train stations to implement the 5km travel rule, as well as checkpoints on the roads, and that fines will be given for any non-compliance with this rule,” students were told.

In a separate communication issued this week, the college’s Covid Officer appealed to students to abide by the rules.

“This outbreak has had an impact on our plans with regard to return to onsite practical work, with consequences for all students.

“We are appealing to all students to comply with all Covid restrictions and in doing so, to help ensure that those students who have to return to onsite practical work can do so,” the email read.

Many students from outside the city have opted to stay in their accommodation for access to better broadband.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story and more coverage of Covid figures and vaccinations, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads