Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

City chief to take tough stance over Traveller hardstands

Dara Bradley

Published

on

Brendan McGrath reiterated this week that he will use emergency powers to build new group housing and halting sites for city Travellers if elected members fail to discharge their statutory duty.

The Chief Executive of Galway City Council said it was not his style to railroad through proposals against the wishes of councillors but he said he would do so reluctantly if the mid-term review of the Traveller Accommodation Programme isn’t approved.

Councillors deferred making a decision about the review until a meeting on March 6, in order to get legal advice, and if they fail to discharge their duty in relation to the TAP, then he will use emergency powers.

Pushed by Fianna Fáil’s Mike Crowe, to outline when was “D-Day” for using emergency powers, Mr McGrath was not definitive.

He said he wasn’t going to “kick the can down the road until the end of the year” and would act within a “number of months” of the March meeting.

Mr McGrath repeated his wish to work with councillors to reach agreement, rather than having to impose a solution, although he noted that some members might actually prefer if he made the decision for them.

During debate on the mid-term review of the Traveller Accommodation Programme, Senior Executive Officer, Dermot Mahon, outlined plans for five new halting sites at Keeraun in Knocknacarra, Westside, Headford Road, Ballybane (Coillte Mhurlinne) and Oranmore (Carrowmoneash).

He said he cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs; and pointed out that every city councillor wanted the problem solved, but none of them wanted a halting site in their electoral area.

Read extensive coverage of the debate on the Traveller Accommodation Plan in this week’s Galway City Tribune.
Buy your digital edition of this week’s Galway City Tribune here, or download the app for Android or iPhone.

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway City publican in heroic River Corrib rescue

Francis Farragher

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A city publican who last week helped save the life of a woman who had entered the waters of the Corrib off Wolfe Tone Bridge has made an appeal for young people to ‘look out for each other’.

Fergus McGinn, proprietor of McGinn’s Hop House in Woodquay, had been walking close to Jury’s Inn when he saw the young woman enter the river.

He then rushed to the riverbank on the Long Walk side of the bridge, jumped into the water, spoke to the woman and stayed with her until the emergency services arrived.

The incident occurred at about 3.45pm on Friday last, and a short time later the emergency services were on the scene to safely rescue the woman.

“She was lucky in that the river level was very low and she didn’t injure herself on the rocks and stones just under the water.”

He also appealed to the public to support in whatever they could the work being done by groups like the Claddagh Watch volunteers.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Pubs face court – for serving booze on their doorsteps!

Dara Bradley

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Gardaí have warned city publicans that alcohol cannot be served outside their own premises – even in newly-created on-street spaces designated by Galway City Council as suitable for outdoor dining.

Councillor Mike Crowe (FF) said three Gardaí visited a number of city centre pubs on Thursday afternoon informing them that drinking outdoors was not allowed under licensing laws.

“They warned publicans and restaurants that the area outside their premises is not covered by the licence, and therefore under national legislation, they are breaking the law, because they are not entitled to sell alcohol in non-licensed areas.

“The operators were told that this was an official warning, and they will be back again in a few days and if it persisted, they [Gardaí] would have no option but to issue a charge and forward files to the Director of Public Prosecution. You could not make this up.

“All of the big operators were visited, and received an official warning, and they will be charged if they persist. According to the guards, they’re getting instructions from [Garda headquarters in] Phoenix Park,” he said.

The matter will be raised at a meeting of the Galway City Joint Policing Committee on Monday.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Call for 50% affordable homes in new Galway City Council estates

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The next Galway City Development Plan should include a greater provision for affordable housing than that recommended by Government, a meeting of the City Council has heard.

Cllr Declan McDonnell (Ind) told the meeting that while it was the Government’s intention to introduce a stipulation that new estates should have 10% affordable housing, Galway should go further – building anything up to 50% affordable in developments that are led by the local authority.

The Affordable Housing Bill, which is currently working its way through the Oireachtas, proposes that all developments should have 10% affordable and 10% social housing as a condition of their approval.

Affordable housing schemes help lower-income households buy their own houses or apartments in new developments at significantly less than their open market value, while social housing is provided by local authorities and housing agencies to those who cannot afford their own accommodation.

The Council meeting, part of the pre-draft stage of forming the Development Plan to run from 2023 to 2029, was to examine the overarching strategies that will inform the draft plan to come before councillors by the end of the year and Cllr McDonnell said a more ambitious target for affordable housing was absolutely necessary.

“It must be included that at least 50% of housing must be affordable [in social housing developments],” he said.

This sentiment was echoed by Cllr Eddie Hoare (FG) who questioned if the City Council was ‘tied down’ by national guidelines, or if it could increase the minimum percentage of affordable housing required locally.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending