Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Champs do the damage early to see off Turlough

Published

on

Turloughmore’s Michael Morris tries to halt the progress of St Thomas' Damien McGlynn during Sunday's senior hurling semi-final at Kenny Park. Photos: Enda Noone.

St Thomas’ 3-14

Turloughmore 1-15

HOW does a game that was so one-sided for so long see the losers come away with regrets knowing victory was within their grasp?

That’s the question which arose at full-time in Sunday’s senior hurling championship semi-final at Kenny Park, where Turloughmore were left to rue 11 wides and a late missed penalty in their five-point defeat to defending county champions St Thomas’.

After 39 minutes of this contest, St Thomas’ led Joe Hession’s side 3-11 to 0-9. The game was as good as sewn up. St Thomas’ had been a joy to watch up to that point, while Turloughmore, appearing in their first county semi-final since 2012, hadn’t shown up.

The only way they were keeping themselves any way close to the Kilchreest/Peterswell men was down to St Thomas’ indiscipline.  Turloughmore only scored three points from play in the whole game and yet, when they outscored St Thomas’ 0-5 to 0-2 between the 42nd and 53rd minutes, the gap was back to eight-points, though fans still headed for the exit gates assuming the game was done.

That was until Jamie Holland found Daithi Burke with a pin-point pass over the head of Galway captain David Burke. Burke in turn found substitute Ronan Badger inside with a looping handpass and Badger did the rest, burying the sliotar past James Barrett to make it 3-13 to 1-14.

Barrett had been called upon in the 45th minute to deny Walsh with a brilliant stop down to his left which would have seen Turlough even closer again.

After Badger’s goal, many had exited too far to come back but a steady stream of fans did hastily return to Kenny Park and what they witnessed moments later made it well worth their while  . . . Badger being fouled inside the square and awarded a penalty.

Badger stood up to take the penalty himself but, with Barrett rooted to the spot, Badger watched his low shot flash to the right and wide as St Thomas’ breathed a huge sigh of relief.

With that miss, Turlough’s revival was done and St Thomas’ negotiated the final five minutes of normal time, plus additional time safely, with Darragh Burke and Conor Walsh trading frees.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Connacht Tribune

Schools and colleges in Galway advised to close for Storm Barra

Published

on

Schools in Galway have begun informing parents that they will not open tomorrow, following advice from the Department of Education.

The Dept said this evening that schools, colleges and universities in areas where a Status Orange or Red warning apply for Storm Barra should not open.

A spokesperson said: “Met Éireann has advised that there is a strong possibility that the status of parts of these counties currently in Status Orange are likely to change and escalate to Status Red.

“Due to the significant nature of Storm Barra, as forecast by Met Éireann and to give sufficient notice to institutions of further and higher education, the department is advising that all universities, colleges and further education facilities covered by the Red Alert and Orange warning from Met Éireann should not open tomorrow, 7 December.

“All schools and third level institutions should keep up-to-date with the current weather warnings which are carried on all national and local news bulletins and in particular any change in the status warning for their area.”

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway Gardaí: ‘Stay at home during Storm Barra’

Published

on

Gardaí in Galway have warned people to stay home tomorrow (Tuesday) as Met Éireann forecasted a ‘risk to life’ ahead of Storm Barra’s expected landfall tomorrow morning.

At a meeting of the City Joint Policing Committee (JPC), Council Chief Executive Brendan McGrath said the City Council was preparing for the ‘high probability’ of coastal flooding.

A combination of tomorrow’s high tides with the forecast high winds and heavy rainfall would likely lead to a flooding event, he said.

Chief Superintendent Tom Curley said the best advice available was to stay at home but refused to comment on school closures – advising that was a matter for the Department of Education.

Mr McGrath said a number of meetings between local and national agencies had already taken place, with more set to run throughout the day as preparations got underway for this winter’s first severe weather event.

“High tide is at 6.45am tomorrow morning and at 7.20pm tomorrow evening. There is currently a Red Marine Warning in place for the sea area that includes Galway and an Orange Storm Warning for Storm Barra for 6am Tuesday morning to 6am on Wednesday morning,” said Mr McGrath, adding that it was possible this storm warning could be raised to Red later today.

With high tide at 5.45 metres and a forecast storm surge of 1.05m, the risk of flooding was significant. In addition, winds were currently forecast to be South-West to West, said Mr McGrath, conducive to a flooding event in the city.

“It is potentially problematic . . . the hope would be that the storm surge doesn’t happen at the same time as high tide,” he added.

The flood protection barrier had been installed at Spanish Arch over the weekend and storm gullies had been cleaned. Sandbags were to be distributed throughout the day, said Mr McGrath.

Council staff would be on duty throughout the weather event and Gardaí would be operating rolling road closures from early morning. Carparks in Salthill were closed today, while tow trucks were on standby to remove any vehicles not moved by their owners before the high-risk period.

Chief Supt Curley said it was imperative people stayed home where possible.

The best way to say safe was to “leave the bicycle or the car in the driveway” from early tomorrow morning, and to stay indoors until the worst of the storm had passed.

Met Éireann has warned of potential for flooding in the West, with Storm Barra bringing “severe or damaging gusts” of up to 130km/h.

A Status Orange wind warning has been issued for Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork from 6am Tuesday to 6am Wednesday, with southerly winds, later becoming northwesterly, with mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h and gusts of up to 130km/h possibly higher in coastal areas.

“High waves, high tides, heavy rain and storm surge will lead to wave overtopping and a significant possibility of coastal flooding. Disruption to power and travel are likely,” Met Éireann said.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Storm Barra to bring coastal flooding and disruption to Galway

Published

on

Met Éireann has warned of potential for flooding in the West on Tuesday, with Storm Barra bringing “severe or damaging gusts” of up to 130km/h.

A Status Orange wind warning has been issued for Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork from 6am Tuesday to 6am Wednesday, with southerly winds, later becoming northwesterly, with mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h and gusts of up to 130km/h possibly higher in coastal areas.

“High waves, high tides, heavy rain and storm surge will lead to wave overtopping and a significant possibility of coastal flooding. Disruption to power and travel are likely,” Met Éireann said,

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending