Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Ceannt station commercial project still on agenda

Francis Farragher

Published

on

In the heady days of the mid-noughties it was close to being a billion euro mega project . . . now one economic collapse later, the commercial overhaul of Ceannt Station is to be a far slower and more modest development.

CIE have confirmed to the Galway City Tribune that while the commercial development of the station area was still very much on the agenda, it would in all probability, be on a phased basis over the coming years.

Barry Kenny, Corporate Communications Manager with Iarnród Éireann, said that it was now likely to be 2016 before a tender notice would be issued by CIE seeking a commercial partner to develop part of the site.

“While there had been very ambitious plans in place for a massive commercial development of the site, these fell by the wayside when the economic crisis occurred.

“But we are still looking at a prime city centre site. Of all our rail stations around the country, Ceannt is bang on in the middle of the city. It certainly does have major commercial potential,” said Barry Kenny.

He said that currently CIE were in the process of seeking a commercial agreement for their Tara Street station in Dublin city centre with the process in Galway likely to begin in 2016.

“It is far too early to go into any detail on what we will be doing, but the development is likely to be a phased one and the process should kick off in 2016,” said Barry Kenny.

He also pointed out that in terms of improving facilities at the station, for both rail and bus commuters, all the homework had been completed in terms of acquiring planning permission and in securing the support of the NTA (National Transport Authority).

“In terms of this project we are all singing off the one hymn sheet in terms of our desire to improve facilities at Ceannt Station. At this stage, it really is a matter of securing the funding go-ahead for the project,” said Barry Kenny.

The new plans to improve facilities at the station include the provision of new entrance plazas and an extension to the concourse areas.

Demolition works are also planned in the development as well as the provision of new ticket machines, retail pods and toilets. The work is estimated to cost between €10m and €20m.

The Galway City Tribune has learned that the first phase of the commercial aspect of the development is likely to be on the Fairgreen side of the 15 acre station site.

Back in 2009, city businessman Gerry Barrett of Edward Holdings, was confirmed as the preferred developer, of what was described at the time, as the ‘New Galway’ project, costing an estimated €800m, requiring massive international funding that never materialised.

As well as a new railway station, the plan for the 15-acre site was to include around 600,000 square feet of retail space, more than 200 residential units, bars, cafés, restaurants and cultural space.

The project was to employ several hundred people in the construction phase and 3,000 more on a permanent basis throughout the commercial enterprises to be set up on the site.

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway City publican in heroic River Corrib rescue

Francis Farragher

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A city publican who last week helped save the life of a woman who had entered the waters of the Corrib off Wolfe Tone Bridge has made an appeal for young people to ‘look out for each other’.

Fergus McGinn, proprietor of McGinn’s Hop House in Woodquay, had been walking close to Jury’s Inn when he saw the young woman enter the river.

He then rushed to the riverbank on the Long Walk side of the bridge, jumped into the water, spoke to the woman and stayed with her until the emergency services arrived.

The incident occurred at about 3.45pm on Friday last, and a short time later the emergency services were on the scene to safely rescue the woman.

“She was lucky in that the river level was very low and she didn’t injure herself on the rocks and stones just under the water.”

He also appealed to the public to support in whatever they could the work being done by groups like the Claddagh Watch volunteers.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Pubs face court – for serving booze on their doorsteps!

Dara Bradley

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Gardaí have warned city publicans that alcohol cannot be served outside their own premises – even in newly-created on-street spaces designated by Galway City Council as suitable for outdoor dining.

Councillor Mike Crowe (FF) said three Gardaí visited a number of city centre pubs on Thursday afternoon informing them that drinking outdoors was not allowed under licensing laws.

“They warned publicans and restaurants that the area outside their premises is not covered by the licence, and therefore under national legislation, they are breaking the law, because they are not entitled to sell alcohol in non-licensed areas.

“The operators were told that this was an official warning, and they will be back again in a few days and if it persisted, they [Gardaí] would have no option but to issue a charge and forward files to the Director of Public Prosecution. You could not make this up.

“All of the big operators were visited, and received an official warning, and they will be charged if they persist. According to the guards, they’re getting instructions from [Garda headquarters in] Phoenix Park,” he said.

The matter will be raised at a meeting of the Galway City Joint Policing Committee on Monday.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Call for 50% affordable homes in new Galway City Council estates

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The next Galway City Development Plan should include a greater provision for affordable housing than that recommended by Government, a meeting of the City Council has heard.

Cllr Declan McDonnell (Ind) told the meeting that while it was the Government’s intention to introduce a stipulation that new estates should have 10% affordable housing, Galway should go further – building anything up to 50% affordable in developments that are led by the local authority.

The Affordable Housing Bill, which is currently working its way through the Oireachtas, proposes that all developments should have 10% affordable and 10% social housing as a condition of their approval.

Affordable housing schemes help lower-income households buy their own houses or apartments in new developments at significantly less than their open market value, while social housing is provided by local authorities and housing agencies to those who cannot afford their own accommodation.

The Council meeting, part of the pre-draft stage of forming the Development Plan to run from 2023 to 2029, was to examine the overarching strategies that will inform the draft plan to come before councillors by the end of the year and Cllr McDonnell said a more ambitious target for affordable housing was absolutely necessary.

“It must be included that at least 50% of housing must be affordable [in social housing developments],” he said.

This sentiment was echoed by Cllr Eddie Hoare (FG) who questioned if the City Council was ‘tied down’ by national guidelines, or if it could increase the minimum percentage of affordable housing required locally.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending