Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Catchy pop numbers in store with Squarehead

Published

on

Groove Tube with Jimi McDonnell

There’s an intriguing double-bill in store on Wednesday, August 22, when Frankie Cosmos and Squarehead come to the Róisín Dubh. Squarehead are a Dublin based three-piece whose winning guitar pop bring to mind elements of Nirvana, The Beatles and Animal Collective.
Their third album is ready for release and should be out later this year. Lead singer and guitarist Roy Duffy is in good form when he speaks over the phone about the as-yet untitled record.
“We finalised and finished the mixes in March and we said ok, how do we want to put it out? Do we want to do it ourselves, like we did with the last record, or do we want to find a label? So, we started passing it around to various people we knew,” he explains.
Roy is joined in the band by bassist Ian McFarlane and Ruan Van Vlier on drums. Squarehead’s last record was 2013’s self-released Respect and the lads are currently deciding between two labels for the next one.
“It’s long, drawn-out, boring!” Roy says of the process. “Lots of emails, lots of phone calls, lots of second-guessing. But the album’s there! It’s done, it’s been done for a while.”
Squarehead’s music moves nimbly between quiet and loud moments – memorable choruses rub shoulders with crunching riffs in many songs. Is this balance hard to pull off?
“That is a hard thing to do, and we did struggle a bit with it on this album,” Roy says. “We joke that you’re getting older when you’re writing more relaxed songs, like ‘you don’t have to jump around as much with this one’. But you know, you can still have songs that are catchy and still have the same emotional response, but there’s less energy there.”
The quiet/loud balance was definitely important when they decided on the running order of the new album.
“We always disagree on that, like ‘this should be the opening’ and ‘no, this should be the closer’. But that’s where [the balance] comes in, you can’t have three heavy ones in a row – it’s the same thing with playing live. We struggle with that a bit, but it’s a democratic thing between the three of us, and maybe the producer.”

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and  county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Connacht Tribune

Violent incident in Tuam leaves seven hospitalised

Published

on

Gardaí are investigating after an incident in Tuam yesterday left seven people injured.

A violent altercation broke out between a large group at the cemetery in Tuam at about 4pm yesterday.

Around 30 Gardaí responded to the incident at the cemetery on the Athenry Road in Tuam, which broke out following two funerals in the area.

Gardaí supported by members from the wider North Western Region and the Regional Armed Support Unit had to physically intervene between parties and disperse those present.

Five males and two females were injured during the course of the incident and were taken to University Hospital Galway with non-life threatening injuries.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested at the scene, as he tried to flee in possession of a knife.

He was taken to Tuam Garda Station and has since been released. A file is being prepared for the Juvenile Liaison Officer.

Gardaí are appealing for any witnesses to this incident or for anyone with any information to contact Tuam Garda Station .

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Anger over ANC ‘snip’

Published

on

Agriculture Minister, Charlie McConalogue

ANGRY farmers hit out during last week’s Galway IFA at the Dept. of Agriculture over what they described as their ‘heavy handed tactics’ in docking BEAM penalties from ANC payments made last week.

Although Agriculture Minister, Charlie McConalogue, has apologised for the actions taken by his Department officials, delegates who attended last Thursday’s night county IFA meeting in the Claregalway Hotel, hit out at what happened.

In some cases, according to Galway IFA Chairperson, Anne Mitchell, farmers who had already paid back the BEAM penalty also had the money deducted from their ANC (Areas of Natural Constraint) payments made last week.

Many farmers received ‘a shock in the post’ when their ANC payments were hit with the deductions of penalties from the BEAM scheme – earlier they had been warned of interest penalties if any balances weren’t repaid within 30 days.

At the core of the problem was the inclusion of a 5% stock numbers reduction in the BEAM scheme (Beef Exceptional Aid Measure) aimed at helping to compensate farmers for a drop-off in beef prices between September, 2018 and May, 2019.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Siblings find each other – and their Connemara roots – after 80 years

Published

on

Reunited...Pat and Miceál McKeown outside their mother Síle’s birthplace in Carna.

By Erin Gibbons

A family separated for over 80 years was reunited at the end of an emotional journey in Connemara last weekend – thanks to DNA testing and the expert help of heritage researchers.

Pat McKeown, who lives in Staffordshire in the UK, is the daughter of Síle Gorham from Roisín Na Mainiach, Carna – but she was given up for adoption and reared for a time in a Belfast Mother and Baby Home.

Now, at the age of 81, she found her roots – returning to her mother’s native place for the first time last weekend, in the company of her long-lost brother Micheál.

It was an emotional end to a lifelong search for her roots that even led her to hire a private detective to try and locate her family and to discover her name.

All of this proved unsuccessful – and she had effectively given up her search when she was contacted unexpectedly by a man called Miceál McKeown, who turned out to be her brother.

Micheál – an artist and sculptor – and his daughter Orla had made the connection through DNA testing, after Miceál too had set out to discover more about his own roots.

That revealed that Síle Gorham had married Michael McKeown in 1939, and Síle went on to have three more children named Áine, Séan and Miceál.

Pat visited Connemara last weekend for the first time to learn about her mother Síle and the Connemara ancestry which she feels was robbed from her for her entire 81 years.

She was accompanied by Miceál, his wife Rosemary, daughter Orla and son-in-law Rueben Keogh.

Read the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now – or you can download the digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending