Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Cash-strapped hospitals lose €4 million a month

Published

on

Date Published: 25-May-2011

The hospitals in Galway and Roscommon have already overspent by €12m in the first four months of the year – while at the same time there remain outstanding claims for private patients due in from insurance companies of €8.5m.

It was not only the dire financial situation which emerged at this week’s Regional Health Forum West meeting. The shocking state of the hospitals’ waiting lists was also revealed – between Galway’s major two major hospitals there were 30,000 patients languishing in an invisible queue for treatment.

Liam Minihan, Assistant National Director of Finance for HSE West, told councillors that University Hospital Galway (UHG), Merlin Park, Portiuncula and Roscommon have between them spent €214m, instead of the €202m budgeted for.

Across the HSE West region, there was a deficit of €34.6m.

The main areas for the overspend was in drugs and medicines, medical and surgical supplies and professional services.

Savings in the region had been made of €5.6m in office expenses. Income was €8.5m behind budget, mainly because of arrears in payments from insurance companies.

Mr Minihan said a major income collection project is underway focused on the backlog of claims not yet submitted to the insurance companies due to the absence of consultants’ signature, claims pended by the insurance companies for various reasons and making better use of our private bed resources.

Savings of around €14m are also expected for the rest of the year due to a national procurement cost reduction programme. Savings of €4.6m would be made on stock.

See full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending