Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us


Carpenter looking at jail sentence for third drink driving offence



Galway Courthouse

A carpenter, who already has two previous convictions for drunken driving, was convicted of his third offence after he was found to be over the limit when breathalysed on his way to work early one morning.

Michael Trowell (36), Killeeneen, Craughwell, pleaded guilty before Galway District Court to his third drink driving offence which was detected at Dublin Road, Galway, on June 28 last year.

He also pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified and without insurance or a driving licence.

A breath sample taken at the time showed a reading of 33mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath.

Sergeant Cathal Rodgers, prosecuting, said Trowell was a disqualified driver at the time, having been convicted at Gort District Court two months earlier – on April 26, 2018 – of his second driving offence. He was disqualified from driving for three years, with the disqualification coming into effect two weeks later.

The court heard his first drink driving conviction was recorded in Gort in 2010, when he was also disqualified for three years.

Defence solicitor, Sean Acton, said his client was a self-employed carpenter who was detected at 9am on his way to work.

Judge Mary Fahy said Trowell had shown a blatant disregard for the previous disqualification orders.

Mr Acton explained Trowell had employed an apprentice to drive him around in his van, but this man had medical problems and had to go to hospital on the morning his client was stopped.

He said Trowell needed to get tools to a job in Forster Street and he took a chance and drove himself.

Trowell, he said, had insured the other man to drive and that insurance policy had recently been renewed.

Judge Fahy said Trowell was looking at a custodial sentence because he had shown a total disregard for court orders by driving only a month after being disqualified last year.

Mr Acton submitted that Garda Ray Quinn, who had detected his client, had actually brought Trowell to his job in Forster Street after he had been processed at the Garda Station that morning.

“Garda Foley accepted my client needed to keep the job going,” Mr Acton explained.

“It’s really, really putting the finger up now and obviously, he couldn’t have insurance either because he was disqualified at the time,” Judge Fahy observed.

She indicated Trowell was looking at a custodial sentence, but following further submissions from the solicitor, she agreed to adjourn the matter to September 23 for Trowell to be assessed by the probation service as to his suitability to carry out community service in lieu of a sentence and for Garda Quinn to come to court to give his opinion on the matter.

Mr Acton said his client had a unique set of carpentry skills which could be put to good use in the community.


Concerns over reopening of Middle Arch on Tuesday



A Galway City Councillor has given a cautious welcome but has also raised concerns over the reopening of the ‘Middle Arch’ beside the Claddagh Basin next Tuesday.

Access was closed to the public last May following requests from the Gardai due to large crowds that had gathered in the days previously amid fears of it becoming a serious health and safety risk.

The concerns were raised by Cllr. Niall McNelis who said that a cautious welcome should be given but that the possibility of closing it in evenings needs to be seriously looked at.

He said “The decision to close it was earlier in year was due to it had become an area where large groups had gathered drinking and had led to calls by locals that it had become a serious health and safety risk. The area also does not have safety barriers and this has led to persons falling into the water in the past.

“Recently there has been a large number of calls made that the area should be reopened and that public space be made available to the public.”

Cllr. McNelis also said that a cautious welcome should be given but that the possibility of closing it in evenings needs to be seriously looked at.

“We can not have the same scenes repeated as we did earlier this year and in previous years. House gardens and Claddagh church grounds were used as toilets and large amounts of litter mainly drink, was left behind. I have met a number of residents this weekend who are not happy with decision and calls have been made by them to have it closed in evenings by City Council and Gardai should assist in clearing area if needs be.

“We do not have enough Garda personnel to have proper policing in our city, we need more resources for the city to tackle and enforce anti social behaviour.

“I have met this week with Gardai and have been given assurances that this will be closely monitored and occasions such as exam results nights, freshers week and good weather will be monitored,” he said.

Continue Reading


Council rows back on ‘reduced delays’ projections for Kirwan junction



From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Motorists have described it as ‘a disaster’ and a former mayor has said the project gave very poor value for money, but Galway City Council have this week asked the public to be patient with the revamped Kirwan junction, close to the Menlo Park Hotel.

Since the four-arm signalled junction opened early last week, motorists have complained of traffic queues stretching back to the Quincentenary Bridge and Corrib Park.

And now the Council has rowed back on its consultants’ claims that the junction would increase capacity by 15% and reduce waiting times by 25%.

Former mayor and local taxi driver, Cllr Frank Fahy, told the Galway City Tribune that given the negative impact of the junction on traffic, the €5 million spent on the project represented ‘very poor value’ as regards taxpayers’ money.

“I will admit that the junction is now safer for pedestrians in that they can hit a button to give them a safe crossing, but since it opened there have some very serious traffic tailbacks,” said Cllr Fahy.

However, City Council Acting Director of Services for Transport, Uinsinn Finn, told the Galway City Tribune that the new junction needed time to ‘bed in’ with a familiarisation process.

“The main objectives of this project were to make far safer for pedestrians and cyclists to negotiate, as well as making it safer for motorists too, without impacting [negatively] on the traffic flow,” said Mr Finn.

He added that since it opened – and over the coming few weeks – data on all aspects of how the junction was functioning would be compiled which could involve changes to light sequencing, lanes and peak traffic flows.

One motorist who contacted this newspaper said that the daily “nightmare” journey from the Barna Road to the Headford Road during the morning peak traffic time had added up to 40 minutes to his journey time.

“The two lanes are regularly gridlocked from the junction, back the N6, over the Quincentenary Bridge and back to Corrib Park.

“In the mornings, it’s now easier to go down Taylor’s Hill and into town, past Eyre Square and up Bohermore to get down to the Headford Road.

Councillors were told by consultants in 2017 and again in 2018 – when they voted to proceed with the changeover to a junction – that average delays would be reduced by 25% and junction capacity would increase by 15%.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading


Man hospitalised following Eyre Square assault



Gardaí have appealed to the public for information into an assault in Eyre Square last weekend which led to a young man being hospitalised.

The victim of the assault – a man in his early 20s from the city area – suffered a cut to his knee and may have had a substance sprayed towards his eyes.

Following the incident – that occurred close to the Eyre Square taxi rank shortly after midnight on Saturday night last – the victim was taken by ambulance to University Hospital Galway.

It is understood that the victim was released later that morning and has made a full recovery. This week, Gardaí are poring over CCTV footage in an effort to try and identify the perpetrators of the assault.

The assailants are understood to have fled on foot after the incident towards St Patrick’s Avenue on the east side of Eyre Square.

A Garda spokesperson has appealed for anyone who was in the vicinity of the taxi rank on Eyre Square between 12 midnight and 12.30am on the Sunday morning (Saturday night) of July 25 last, and who may have witnessed the incident to contact them.

(Photo: the assailants fled on foot towards St Patrick’s Avenue off Eyre Square)
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads