Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Sports

Canning set to return for Walsh Cup clash with Offaly men

Published

on

Uachtarán Chumann Lúthchleas Gael Liam Ó Néill with Athenry's Jarlath Cloonan, County Final Programme Award recipient, An Cheathrú Rua's Micheal Mac Donnchadh, Hall of Fame Award recipient and Chairman of Galway County Board, Noel Treacy at the McNamee Awards in Croke Park on Saturday night.

FIRST choice players Joe Canning, Johnny Coen and Jonathan Glynn are all back in contention for starting places on the Galway senior hurling team ahead of their Walsh Cup fixture against Offaly at O’Connor Park, Tullamore on Sunday (2pm).

The Tribesmen got their competitive year off to a winning start when accounting for Westmeath on a scoreline of 1-21 to 0-16 in their low-key Walsh Cup opener in Mullingar last weekend. Tommy Larkins’ Jason Flynn was very much to the fore by hitting 1-12 (0-11 frees).

Also prominent were defenders Padraig Mannion (Ahascragh/Fohenagh) and Colm Flynn (Tommy Larkins), Castlegar forward Dean Higgins, St. Thomas’ Eanna Burke – scoring four points from place – and Kilnadeema/Leitrim’s Brian Molloy. All five were making their debuts.

“It (Walsh Cup) is a great opportunity for young players to stake their claim to be honest,” said Galway manager Anthony Cunningham. “You would look at them to step up. Padraig Mannion and Colm Flynn were two new faces in the backs while Gearoid McInerney – who saw some action last year – also played well.

“Up front, we had a lot of new players and that is great to see. Eanna Burke, Brian Molloy and Dean Higgins would be new to the set-up and they slotted in very well. They have been working hard. The more competition we have for places, the better for us.”

For their part, Offaly began their Walsh Cup with a 2-15 to 1-13 victory over Westmeath in early January. Stephen Quirke scored two first half goals for the Faithful county and they led by nine points at the break despite playing into a strong breeze.

While the Lake County battled their way back, buoyed by a Brendan Murtagh goal, to cut the deficit to three in the second period, Offaly, who had Shane Dooley sent off on two yellow cards, hit the last two points to seal the win.

When Galway and Offaly met in the Walsh Cup quarter-final last year, the Tribesmen won by the narrow margin of 1-14 to 1-13. Cunningham expects a close examination again.

“Joe Canning, Johnny Coen and Johnny Glynn, who had been carrying a knock, they will all be pushing for places and it is great to have them back because it will take a big effort against Offaly,” said Cunningham.

He will have to plan, however, without Sarsfields’ Kevin Hynes after he broke a finger against Westmeath. “So, he will probably be out for a couple of weeks. It is disappointing for Kevin because he has put a lot of work in. His fitness is very good and he played a solid game.”

Meanwhile, Cunningham has welcomed the move by Galway Hurling Committee to run off the senior and intermediate championships in group format this year. For the senior, this will consist of two groups of five and two groups of six (22 teams) – the top two from each group advancing to the quarter-finals– while the intermediate competition consists of two groups of seven, with the top four in each group advancing to the knockout stages.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

CITY TRIBUNE

Connacht swing into action against Cardiff in expanded league structure

Published

on

Injured scrum half Caolin Blade who will miss Connacht's opening game in the new United Rugby Championship away to Cardiff on Friday night.

By Rob Murphy

RUGBY is back this weekend as Connacht make their debut in a brand new expanded competition. The United Rugby Championship has replaced the old PRO14 with the top four South African sides joining the teams from Ireland Scotland, Wales and Italy in a  new look 16 team tournament.

Over the next seven months, Andy Friend’s men will play 18 games as they look to secure one of the eight play off places up for grabs.

On Friday Connacht will begin their campaign in Wales where they’ll take on Cardiff at the Arms Park (7:35) for an important opening day fixture. With a number of difficult inter-provincials tussles on the horizon, a good start is badly needed.

On Wednesday, Connacht Rugby announced that they were moving their October 23 fixture with Ulster to the Aviva Stadium to mark the lifting of restrictions throughout the country for crowds at live events. The stand alone fixture will be a huge opportunity for the organisation to showcase the provincial team to a wide audience and they are hoping that Connacht fans will travel east in big numbers to watch their side play in the national stadium.

It will be the second time in a little over a year that Connacht have played at the venue having faced the same opponents there last August at a time when crowds weren’t permitted, You have to go back to 1986 for the previous appearance at the Dublin 4 venue. Forgoing home advantage for a league fixture looks like a risk worth taking as the novel event should generate a lot of interest among rugby fans who have waited over 18 months to watch their side play live.

While there is scope for a full house in Wales this Friday, Connacht’s opening home fixture against the Bulls the following Friday and their clash with the Dragons in Galway and Munster in Limerick later in the month will all fall under the current fifty percent capacity restrictions in the Republic of Ireland, so this is why that the Ulster fixture in Dublin will be a watershed moment for the campaign.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Moran’s late fortuitous goal leaves Salthill men stunned

Published

on

Monivea-Abbey's Caelom Mulry gets to the ball ahead of Tom Considine of Salthill/Knocknacarra during Saturday's senior football championship tie at Kenny Park. Photos: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

Monivea-Abbey 1-10

Salthill-Knocknacarra 0-10

Gerard Mulreaney at Kenny Park

THEY say that fortune favours the brave, and that was certainly evident at a very wet Kenny Park, Athenry on Saturday afternoon

A brave performance from Monivea-Abbey, full of heart, grit and determination, saw them produce the shock of the weekend when they upset Salthill-Knocknacarra in a dramatic ending to this senior championship game.

Three points down at the second water break, Monivea-Abbey came storming back in the last quarter, scoring a goal and two points without reply to take the victory and give themselves an outside chance of reaching the quarter finals.

Both sides came into this must-win encounter on the back of opening round defeats, Monivea-Abbey losing to Oughterard while Salthill-Knocknacarra surprisingly came unstuck in their opener to Caherlistrane.

Salthill-Knocknacarra were first off the mark in the second minute when Robert Finnerty found Tomo Culhane who popped his effort over the bar.

Culhane then missed a golden opportunity to score the opening goal just a minute later. He was played in by the industrious John Maher, but the teeneger ended up rushing his shot, and the ball went agonisingly wide.

Monivea-Abbey, who were missing both Cillian McDaid and Cathal Cooley due to injury, hit back when Lee Kenny was fouled by William Finnerty and Brian Moran scored the resulting free kick.

Another goal chance went abegging for Salthill/Knocknacarra on nine minutes when centre-forward Evan Murphy ran in unopposed along the end line, but his shot was straight at Denis Farragher in the Monivea-Abbey goal.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Butler hopes fans will back move to switch home game

Published

on

Jarrad Butler looks on as Caolin Blade looks to break through the Ulster ranks in the PRO14 meeting between the sides in the Sportsground back in December. Photo: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

By JOHN FALLON

Connacht skipper Jarrad Butler said the players are looking forward to taking on Ulster at the Aviva Stadium next month when they hope to attract the biggest crowd to attend a rugby match in Ireland in over a year and a half.

With crowd restrictions due to be lifted by the Government just prior to the derby clash against Ulster on Saturday, 23 October, Connacht hope that a crowd of around 30,000 can be achieved for the fixture in the United Rugby Championship.

At present Connacht are restricted to crowds of around 3,000 at the Sportsground and even if all restrictions are lifted, the capacity of the stadium on College Road is limited to just over 8,000.

Coach Andy Friend and club captain Butler have given the decision their full backing, with Connacht consulting with their supporters’ club before deciding to switch the match to Dublin.

Connacht beat Ulster 26-20 behind closed doors there in August last year when competitive rugby restarted in the pandemic, and Butler said players were excited about going back there.

“It is different. We had success at the Aviva against Ulster last year and that was without fans. I think there is an excitement to go back there and, hopefully, be able to play there in front of a lot more Connacht fans than would probably be at the Sportsground.

“The Aviva is one of the best in the country and I think everyone is excited to get the opportunity to play there. The positives definitely outweigh the negatives playing there.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending