Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Calls for lighting along new Abbeyknockmoy walkway

Avatar

Published

on

A county councillor has called for lighting to be installed along the new Abbeyknockmoy walkway.

Councillor Peter Roche says the dedicated 5 kilometre pedestrian and cyclist path along the N63 is heavily trafficked by locals and needs to be lit to ensure the safety of those using it.

Speaking at the Tuam municipal district meeting this week, Cllr Roche put forward a motion to petition Transport Infrastructure Ireland for the funds to install the lights.

He also said if funds are not available to light the full route, then certain focal points along the path need to be lit.

Breaking News

Minister says alternative bus service possible on Gort to Galway route

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The National Transport Authority has stated that private bus companies can operate on the Gort to Galway bus route.

Minister of State and Galway East TD Anne Rabbitte has received confirmation from the NTA that commercial bus operators can submit licence applications for the route at anytime.

It comes after Bus Éireann’s decision to cancel its evening service on the Galway to Cork Expressway 51 route – leaving passengers travelling to south Galway with no access to a public bus service after the last bus departs the city at 5:05pm.

The NTA has stated that potential applications will be considered based on the potential demand for the service with regards to the needs of consumers and any public services on or in the vicinity of the route.

Minister Rabbitte argues the decision by Bus Éireann has placed limitations on students, workers and general commuters travelling out of the city.

She is encouraging commercial bus operators to make an application and provide the vital service for commuters in the county.

To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

City councillor calls for Government action to tackle illegal short-term lettings in Galway

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – A city councillor has called for Government action to tackle illegal short-term lettings in Galway.

Labour Councillor Niall McNelis says the City Manager’s June report has highlighted the challenges which the Council faces in enforcing regulations on short-term lettings in the city.

The report stated that the time it takes to enforce legislation often allows landlords to operate unregistered short-term lets during the peak tourist season and then close them before legal proceedings are brought against them.

Under the current regulations, which were introduced in 2019, persons can let part of their main residence on an unlimited basis or all of their main residence on a limited basis for 90 days in total.

It comes as 50 short-term lettings are formally registered with Galway City Council at present and just five properties have planning permission.

Councillor Niall McNelis told Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks short-term lettings are often hotspots for weekend house parties and take valuable housing stock off the market.

To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Outpatients clinics going ahead at UHG following systems failure last week

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Outpatient clinics will go ahead this week at UHG after some were forced to be cancelled last week due to a systems failure.

Hospital management say that while there has been improvements in many areas following the cyber attack, there are continuing glitches with connections to other systems.

Progress has been made with interfaces with health links improving and the processing of GP bloods now functioning again.

Some clinics were cancelled last Thursday and Friday after a system went down.

Chris Kane, General Manager at Galway University Hospitals, told Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks that although progress has been made, the situation is changeable due to challenges with connecting systems as the team enters week five since the ransomware attack on the HSE.

She says there has also been a significant return to hospital activity with 27 patients waiting on a bed at UHG this morning.

The hospital manager has urged the public to consider primary care services and minor injury units if possible to avoid long delays at the emergency department.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending