Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Buses blocked in Kilrickle in campaign to save rural services

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Bus Eireann buses travelling through Kilrickle have been blocked this morning in a bid to save rural transport links.
Protestors have gathered at the bus stop forcing two buses to stop.
It follows changes to Bus Eireann’s route 20 from Galway to Dublin which has withdrawn a number of stops including Kilrickle in Loughrea and Derrydonnell in Oranmore.
Bus Eireann says its Expressway services are not state funded and decisions must be made on a commercial basis.
Local councillor Michael Moegie Maher says cutting the link is ridiculous as the buses still pass through Kilrickle. You can hear him on our midday news …

Breaking News

HSE confirms considerable progress made on Old Grove Hospital in Tuam

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The HSE has confirmed that progress is being made on the development of the Old Grove Hospital site in Tuam.

At this week’s meeting of the Health Forum West, it was revealed that tenders are currently being assessed, with a report to be finalised this week.

In response to a query from Councillor Donagh Killilea, it was confirmed that the project has been prioritised by the HSE and an allowance has been made in the HSE capital plan to award the contract and progress the works this year.

Galway County Council granted planning permission for the project at Vicar Street in 2017, which will involve the part-demolition, refurbishment and remodelling of the building in two phases.

Phase one will incorporate mental health and shared services while phase two would accommodate early intervention and disability services.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Second stage of campaign to clean-up city launched

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The second stage of a campaign to clean up Galway City has been launched.

“Be Part of the Solution, not Part of the Pollution” is an initiative run by Galway City Council.

The first stage of the campaign was on how to dispose of bulky waste during the ongoing lockdown.

This time, the focus is on the need to provide evidence of a waste collection service or landfill receipts.

It reminds the public that since 2019, all city residents and businesses are required by law to prove they are legally disposing of their waste.

This could be a regular bin collection service, the use of an authorised waste facility, or proof of an agreement with a neighbour in the case of shared bins.

Failure to show evidence could mean a €75 on the spot fine, or lead to a fine on conviction of up to €2,500.

Galway City Council says it has created a register of households availing of a waste collection service – becoming the second local authority in the country do do so, after Sligo Co. Council.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Major drop in Galway cases of Covid-19 linked to outbreaks

Avatar

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – New figures from the CSO show that 53 cases of Covid-19 in Galway last week were linked to outbreaks.

That’s a major drop of almost 100 cases on the week previous, ending Friday February 12th.

There’s been a generally downward trend since the middle of January, when outbreak-linked cases in Galway peaked at 231.

The figure of 53 cases for the county during the week ending Friday, February 19th, is almost 100 cases less than the week previous.

However, it was still the third highest in the country, behind Dublin at 76, and Cork at 56.

But it’s the lowest figure for outbreak-linked cases recorded in Galway since early December.

Meanwhile, the average age of confirmed cases remains at 33 in Galway – still the lowest nationwide.

It’s followed by Sligo at 35, and Limerick, Longford, Kerry and Westmeath at 37.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending