Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Bus pervert facing jail term

Avatar

Published

on

Athlone Courthouse: Galwayman facing jail for offensive sexual behaviour on a bus.

A 52-year-old man who asked a female passenger on a bus to perform a sex act on him, and then proceeded to masturbate during the journey, has been told he may face a prison sentence.

Eamon McCoy of 20 Beachmount Road, Highfield Park, appeared before Athlone District Court.

BY ADRIAN CUSACK

He entered a guilty plea to a charge of intentionally engaging in offensive conduct of a sexual nature during a bus journey on the M6 at Ardagowna, Athlone, on February 15 last.

Outlining the details of the incident, Sergeant Paul McNally said Gardai received a complaint from a woman at 2.15pm on that date. She told them that she was on a bus heading towards Galway when a male passenger asked her to perform oral sex. He then proceeded to masturbate under his clothing.

The woman took a photo of the man, McCoy, on her phone and contacted the Gardai.

Solicitor Dara Hayden, representing McCoy, said his client was “reluctantly” entering a guilty plea to the charge, as “he tells me that he doesn’t recall the incident” and was “appalled” by the details that were outlined. He said the defendant had bipolar disorder and was on a lot of medication at the time of the offence.

McCoy, who wore a sports headband and dark glasses during the hearing, had worked as a nurse’s aide in an old folks’ home up until 15 or 20 years ago, but he had not worked since then and was on disability benefit, his solicitor said.

Judge Seamus Hughes asked McCoy why he had been travelling on the bus on the date of the incident, and he replied that he was heading back to Galway from Dublin airport.

The judge asked him why he had been in the airport, and whether he had been returning from a trip overseas, but McCoy said he hadn’t.

“I go up [to the airport] from time to time . . . I just went up there for the day,” he said.

Judge Hughes said that, as a first step, he wanted to see McCoy come up with “€2,000, payable in cash, for the girl.”

Mr Hayden replied that his client would find it very difficult to come up with that sum of money, and he was willing to engage in preventative measures to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

“Don’t tempt me to say it,” replied the judge. “I know in some countries what the preventative measure would be.”

The judge said he regarded McCoy as “a very creepy type of character” who had said something “extremely vulgar” to the female passenger.

“All of the signs point to this having been caused by a mental health issue,” replied Mr Hayden, but the judge said this was pure speculation on the solicitor’s part.

Mr Hayden asked for some time to come up with a medical report on his client, and Judge Hughes agreed to adjourn the case for two months.

The judge said he wanted to see a medical explanation for how any mental illness McCoy might have would have caused him to behave the way he did on the bus.

He also said he wanted assurances that the defendant wouldn’t do this “creepy, filthy, dirty, rotten thing again.”

Adjourning the case to December 11 next, Judge Hughes said he would deal with the issues of compensation and custodial sentence length on that date.

CITY TRIBUNE

Survey in progress to gauge Galway City’s traffic

Francis Farragher

Published

on

One of the traffic counters in operation in Galway City,

Thousands of road users across Galway City are taking part in a survey over the course of November that many of them are completely unaware of.

Special data-recording cameras have been strategically placed on roads and at junctions dotted across the city providing information that will shape the future of urban transport plans.

Road engineers and consultants in Ireland have designated November as ‘the best neutral month’ to assemble data on traffic movements, cycle and pedestrian patterns and public transport usage.

Galway City Council Chief Executive, Brendan McGrath, told the Galway City Tribune that the data provided by such surveys was an invaluable source of information in relation to future strategic planning.

“It gives us an accurate picture of overall traffic volumes as well as identifying junctions that are either at, or over, their capacity levels.

“A huge amount of data in relation to traffic flows and volumes in the urban area is gathered in surveys like this that feeds into our future transport strategy,” said Mr McGrath.

He said that the data gathered from the traffic surveys was also useful from the point of view of ascertaining cyclist and pedestrian numbers and in establishing the use that was being made of public transport.

“This information will be coming on stream to the City Council and TII [Transport Infrastructure Ireland] from early next year.

“It will also provide us with a year-by-year comparison of traffic volumes in the city and at the key junctions where the biggest number of vehicles pass through.”

In the past, human counters and wire sensors spread across the road surface, have been used in traffic surveys but over recent years smart cameras are now considered the most efficient and accurate method of data collection.

The cameras – currently located in a series of locations across the city – can classify all categories of vehicles passing by, as well as cyclists and pedestrians, over various time periods. They are regarded as providing data accuracy levels of over 95%.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Progress on ‘Kingston’ recreation and sports facility

Avatar

Published

on

The land at Kingston, adjacent to Knocknacarra National School, which is set to become a new sport and recreation facility.

An application for planning permission to proceed with long-planned sports and recreation facilities at the ‘Kingston lands’ in Knocknacarra will be made in the first half of 2020.

A spokesperson for Galway City Council confirmed that an engineer has been appointed with the specific responsibility of progressing the Kingston project and a number of other significant amenity projects in the city.

“We have an engineer in place working on these projects. We are also awaiting the appointment of a further engineer who will be dealing with the wider issue of Sports Capital Grants,” he said.

Councillors approved outline plans for the lands – an unoccupied green space adjacent to St John the Apostle National School and for an overhaul of the existing sports facility on Millars Lane – in June of last year.

Included was provision for a children’s playground; changing rooms/community centre; outdoor gym equipment; a pedestrian walkway; a two-way cycle path; and 75 parking spaces.

A hockey pitch will be developed at Millars lane as part of the plan.

A pitch that can be used for both GAA and rugby, and a multi-use games area were also included in what have been described as the early stages of what will finally come before the Council as a completed proposal.

The Council spokesperson said the recently-appointed engineer would be “getting into the nitty gritty” before a Part 8 was completed.

Local councillor Donal Lyons (Ind) said that it was his hope the plans would come before the Council in the first quarter of next year, so that the applicable Sports Capital Grants could be sought without delay.

“There are two parts of the Kingston lands development – on of the pitches on Millars Lane. In the last City Development Plan, the objective was included that if the City Council developed pitches, they also have to develop changing room facilities.

“All that exists at the moment in Millars Lane are temporary changing room facilities,” said Cllr Lyons.

Cllr Lyons said the new appointment of an engineer to deal with the Kingston project – and the development of the ‘Swamp’ at Southpark – was welcome, and so too was the forthcoming appointment of someone to deal with Sports Capital Grants.

“We have got some money from the Sports Capital Fund for the all-weather pitch at Cappagh Park. The next part is floodlighting. There are also plans for Melody Park in Renmore – there are a number of different projects already in train,” he said.

When the Part 8 process commences, members of the public will have an opportunity to make submissions and a plan will be finalised, explained the Knocknacarra-based councillor.

“The outline plan has been debated long and hard and when it goes forward for Part 8, the public will be able to make submissions before it comes back for adoption.

“The next stage then would be to find funding,” he said.

Throughout the initial process, there had been a number of concerns raised by residents in estates adjacent to the proposed park – particularly from White Oaks where a proposed access route between Millars Lane and Kingston lands requires a previously gated access route to the estate to remain open.

The opening of this area has given rise to security concerns and resulted in alleged incidents of anti-social behaviour.

Speaking to the Galway City Tribune, a resident of another estate, Gort Siar, said while they had no objection to the plan in principle, the initial plan to create green space for Knocknacarra and for the children in the national school had been lost, and the facility was now more about accommodating sports clubs than it was about benefitting local residents.

“We’re definitely not happy with the plans as they are and we’ve had a number of interactions with councillors over the past two years,” he said.

According to this resident, initial plans satisfied the needs of the school, where pupils were currently forced to play on tarmac due to the lack of green space.

“This has moved so far away from a community space designed and proposed originally, and now it has moved to become a complex or entity that smells of a commercial operation.

“If you’re going to put a pitch in, I don’t have a problem, as long as it can be used for many disciplines and is not just being designed to suit one sports club,” he said.

The Gort Siar resident said it was his intention to make a submission to City Council on the plans, once the Part 8 process commenced.

It has been over 20 years since the creation of a public amenity facility on this green space at Kingston was first mooted.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Planning objectors ‘must be clearly identifiable’

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

Planning delays: the Warwick Hotel after its demolition.

A Galway TD has accused the Minister for Housing and Planning of “washing his hands” of proposals to ensure anyone who lodges an appeal with An Bord Pleanála must be clearly identifiable.

Deputy Éamon Ó Cuív called for legislation to be introduced to guarantee that any person who appeals against a planning decision must be identifiable – in an effort to prevent anonymous or vexatious appeals.

He cited the example of a planning application on the site of the former Warwick Hotel in Salthill which was approved by Galway City Council in June 2018.

A person named Iura Matel, with an address in Dublin, appealed the decision and sought an oral hearing with An Bord Pleanála. When the hearing convened the following January, the appellant was not present and it had to be abandoned.

Legal counsel for the developers, David Browne, said they were concerned over the legitimacy of the appeal, as Mr Matel’s name had been spelled differently on three documents submitted to the Board; correspondence sent by registered post was returned on two occasions and the Register of Electors did not show a ‘hit’ on various permutations of the name at the address given.

Deputy Ó Cuív said he was disappointed that Minister Eoghan Murphy did not intend to make changes to the law.

In response to a Parliamentary Question from Deputy Ó Cuív, the Minister said: “Legislative provision already exists to ensure appeals to An Bord Pleanála can identify appellants and gives the Board the discretion to dismiss appeals.”

The Galway West Deputy said this week: “There have been cases where people made appeals against planning permission, both at local government level and at national level, that did not live at the address they gave.

“There was one particular case that was highlighted in Galway recently where a person who clearly did not live at an address, appealed against local planning permission, having objected to it at the local authority stage of the process.

“When the appeal went to Oral Hearing, the appellant did not turn up and the applicant had made strenuous efforts to verify that the appellant did not live at the address given.

“In his reply to my question, the Minister fudged the issue. He said that legislative provision already exists to ensure appeals to An Bord Pleanála can identify appellants and give the Board the discretion to dismiss appeals.

“It goes on to say that the appellants name is published by the Board on the weekly lists on their website and that he does not intend changing the law to tighten up the issue. The reality is in the case where the applicant, who has been appealed against by an anonymous appellant, should have had the case dismissed,” said Deputy Ó Cuív.

He said the law needs to be strengthened and suggested that a PPS number or relevant tax number should be required from all appellants.

“Furthermore, I believe that if an address is given, that the Board should have the power to insist on proof of address being given, if they believe the person does not live at the address they have submitted in their appeal. I will continue to press this matter, despite the rejection by the Minister of the case that I made,” he said.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending